Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 88605 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
I suspect I, like most people here, will inevitably start polluting their tiles with Carc2 material

But fortunately we don't have to. HiG has already canonized the German player community's conversions of The Abbot and The Watchtowers, and I suspect that UtBT is not too far behind them. It's hard to think of a better reason to order a bunch of blank tiles from Cundco.

In case anyone hasn't seen the artwork yet...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:08:06 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline wicke

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 11
  • The Vikings will invade the South Seas
    • View Profile
    • Patrik's Page
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
I just think that the publisher have stolen the idea from several fan-made expansions (mine included)
with taking the meeples from the stand-alone games instead of making new meeples.
I used those meeples for my fan-made expansions because I really didn't have a way of making
new meeples of my own, so it's kind of boring that the publisher don't even bother making new meeples.

Since I have been away from the forum (and the game) for about three years, I had only heard about a
new design of the original game. I hadn't realized that they have re-done the artwork for several of the
expansions as well. That's such a disaster, that I won't ever buy anything with the new design.
Back in 2013 or so, we spoke about how they treated old fans of the game by releasing big boxes with
a few new tiles in them to get fans to buy the original game over and over.
This with the new design is even worse.
It's apparent that they don't think about the old fans at all.

Strange though that many seem to think it is great that Under the Top raises the points for the game so much.
That was usually a thing that I was under a lot of pressure from people to lower the point scoring in my fan-made expansions.
My website:
http://www.wikstromtree.org/
although the games page is yet to be started

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
Hello wicke, welcome back to the forums! It's been a long time... :(y)

You've raised some interesting points here, which I think were shared by many of us when it first became apparent to us what was happening with the new artwork edition. However, rather than being seen as an attempt to force everyone to rebuy everything, the series reboot looks more to me like an attempt to attract newcomers to the game and therefore tap into a whole new source of income as they sell all the classic expansions as and when they become available in the new artwork to a whole new audience. It's a lot of work, but there's big bucks in it if it pays off.

Personally I don't think this was an attempt to force anybody to go out and start their collections all over again, although the fact that a certain number of expansions have been released purely in the new artwork without any official backwards-compatible version for those who are dedicated to the old artwork has done more than merely raised a few eyebrows here!

Obviously HiG are a business who want to make money, but I think actions like these that can be perceived as being greedy, money-grabbing or disrespectful to their loyal fans are actually more to do with their misunderstanding of the completionist mentality among those of us who resent the idea of buying a whole new Big Box for a few extra tiles, but feel compelled to do it anyway as we'd be missing out on something otherwise. In fact, originally it was suggested that nobody would have to rebuy anything as the backs of the tiles are compatible so the different versions of the artwork could be mixed together. This is no longer a realistic option now that there have been subtle differences introduced in the expansion rules between artwork versions (the Abbots and the wagon being a good case in point), but it does suggest that their intentions were good. Or maybe I'm just being gullible.

I don't mind high-scoring games but it is important that everything is balanced, otherwise newly introduced concepts can easily negate the usefulness of, or interest in some of the more traditional features while players concentrate purely on building pyramids or placing their meeples near to the next circus tent in anticipation of a huge points payout. I do think this expansion is a little unbalanced in this respect, but it's fun to play which makes it worth the purchase as far as I'm concerned.

PS - based on their attendance record here at CarcC, I'm pretty sure HiG haven't been here to steal fan expansion ideas that they can turn into saleable expansions! C:-)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:15:29 AM by danisthirty »

Offline wicke

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 11
  • The Vikings will invade the South Seas
    • View Profile
    • Patrik's Page
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me back,
although I might just vanish again, since I really don't have that much time to spend,
and since the new design have stopped my lust for collecting any more.
I might try and collect the extra tiles there are in the old design but I haven't really checked how many there are, and how to get them.
What I would like to have though, are a few Stormtrooper meeples, but sadly MeepleSource have stopped selling them.

Yes, I know that HiG doesn't really keep up with the forum (sadly) but I am pretty sure they have heard, at least rumours, about many fan made expansions, and variants.
Of course they would never admit if they had taken ideas from any fan made expansion, but never mind, I just thought it was boring that the new Under the Top expansion used old stand-alone meeples.

Keep up the good work with the forum, hope it will grow again, even though I have lost interest.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »
Today I bought Under the Big Top. English version for 18 Euros. Coulddn't wait.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
My copy arrived from Cundco earlier in the week. German copy so got to find the English rules.
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:03 AM »
Thanks Bill. Downloaded:)

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
I suspect I, like most people here, will inevitably start polluting their tiles with Carc2 material

But fortunately we don't have to. HiG has already canonized the German player community's conversions of The Abbot and The Watchtowers, and I suspect that UtBT is not too far behind them. It's hard to think of a better reason to order a bunch of blank tiles from Cundco.

In case anyone hasn't seen the artwork yet...

This is what we want! I did try and print some tiles onto label paper but they adult peeled off and the colour looked faded. How can you make a good finish when printing tiles? Could you get a printing company to do them for you?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:01:21 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
I recall having this problem when I used labels in my Canon printer (HP much better at this).  I'd recommend tinkering with the amount of ink you use and make sure 'compression' is disabled sending data to the printer.

What make is your printer?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
We finally played with "Under the Big Top".  It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  I rarely use all my meeple, but I found myself risking it a lot in this game hoping a circus tile would come out.  The most I had was 7 meeple surrounding a circus tile (it turned into 21 points).   My wife lucked out and had 4 meeple by a circus when a tiger came out (24 points).  The elephant came up when no meeple were around and I got a point from the flea circus  ::).  The acrobats are really dumb, but they are unbelievably useful in stacking meeple by circus tents.  The ringmaster is great for grabbing extra points when scoring a short road or small city. 

With just the basic game and this expansion, I scored 285 points and my wife score 235!

My wife really enjoyed this and she wants to play it again soon.  I'm not quite sure what expansions would go well with this.  I am thinking something like "Princess and Dragon" to limit some of the many point opportunities.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »
Great to hear you had a similar experience playing the latest expansion.  The scoring potential for this expansions is quite something!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
question
Under the Big Top question

Started by carca82

24 Replies
Last post October 05, 2022, 08:41:01 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
The Barbarian Report: Under the Big Top