The Discovery
2 (15.4%)
Ark of the Covenant
4 (30.8%)
I have not played both/either
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 14, 2016, 12:59:25 AM

Author Topic: Spinoff HeadtoHead #1 - The Discovery vs Ark of the Covenant  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Carcassonne is a great tile laying game with infinite expansionability.  It has been reduced to a travel version, reinvented as Carcassonne II, colour changed for the Winter Edition and had luck added in the Wheel of Fortune.  But these are all different flavours with the same playability as the vanilla version we all love and return to again and again.

Variants on a theme are all very well but the tile laying concept can be taken much further, and has been by Hans im Gluck and other companies too.  This series of polls is for the forum to offer thoughts on which is their preferences and why.  I am only including spinoffs by Hans im Gluck through various distributers in this series.

The poll is open for 7 days and then another will be offered up for comments.  It may well be that the 3rd option gets most votes but it'll be the spinoff with the majority that progresses to the next round.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2709.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:07:46 PM by whaleyland, Reason: Fixed topic title »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Spinoff Head2Head #1 - The Discovery vs Ark of the Covenant
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:12:46 AM »
Only spin-offs I ever played so far had been "Over Hills & Dale", I gifted a kid with last Christmas and "South Seas" and "Hunters & Gatherers" at the Yucata online platform. Would be a hard pick, which I like better. I like them all, and they feel all very different from the original game. Yet, just not different enough, that I plan to extend my own game collection with them. But I would always love to try out some new versions and am a little envious regarding the recent "Thirsty Meeple" meeting. Maybe, there will be some time, when I can participate on some event like that with the community.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:12 AM »
I haven't played Discovery and I don't know anything about it, so unfortunately I can't contribute much here. Of the spin-offs I know, I think Ark vs Hunters and Gatherers would be a good match-up because they are both basically 'vanilla' Carcassonne with some tweaks, as opposed to spin-offs like the Castle, City etc which are radically different. Of those two, I prefer the Ark over H&G, although I realise that most people would say the opposite.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:36 AM »
I have voted for Ark of the Covenant because I like the option to move the Ark as a different scoring option. 

The Discovery has interesting concepts
1. A meeple can be scored from a feature that is either complete or incomplete. 
2. A meeple may remain on a complete feature and in some case the feature can increase in value as the game progresses.
3. There are no roads/rail/walkways/rivers only 3 differing landscapes.

but, it's The Ark of the Covenant that I enjoy more and play more often.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »
I never played each of the both spin-off games. I don't have them, because I don't like the graphics and for the Discovery - I also not happy about the rules and the game mechanics.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:35:41 AM »
I really like Discovery actually. I like that you don't score a meeple until you choose to spend your "move wood" action on removing it, I think that adds some interesting considerations. I also think the lack of roads is quite novel and makes for a nice board.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 02:22:41 AM »
This poll has closed.

Ark of the Covenant goes through to the next round.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:29:17 AM by Halfling »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale

Started by Halfling

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 07:11:47 PM
by franks
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #5 - South Seas vs New World / Mayflower

Started by Halfling

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 02:55:35 PM