Author Topic: Carcassonne iOS/Mac News  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Carcassonne iOS/Mac News
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Interesting tweet from the Coding Monkeys a few hours ago.  In essence, the version for mac will be released this week, new expansions (yes, plural) are coming next year and we won't have to wait until December 2016 for the next expansion, it will be earlier than that.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2241.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne iOS/Mac News
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »
Good news on the new expansions! If it's big expansions, I'm hoping for the Tower and Abbey and Mayor. If it's small ones, I'd like the Besiegers, Mage & Witch, Ferries or even the Count. I imagine things like German Monasteries, German Castles or Halflings aren't really contenders, although I do like them all.

I must say that the little beta testing I did for Mac didn't impress me too much - not because of anything they did wrong, but just because in my view, playing Carcassonne on an iPad is simply a much, much better experience. Even on my crappy iPad 2 which is now almost five years old.

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
Awesome news :green-meeple:!!  It's been quite a while.  At this point I'd be happy with just about any addition to the iOS version. Abbey/Mayor, German cloisters, Hills/Sheep or Flying Machines would be my choices. :@
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
Wait no more! Carcassonne is officially available on the Mac App Store finally! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carcassonne/id901869346?mt=12

The price is $24.99 BUT it does include ALL of the expansions currently available on iOS.

I do not own a Mac so I can't say from experience whether this version is any good or not but given the developers track record on iOS I could only assume this version would be just as good!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
Carcassonne iOS/Mac News
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
They would like us to vote for the next expansion!

You can send an email to carcassonne@codingmonkeys.de and type "Next expansion" as the subject (because that's what it does if you'd click the link above)

My vote will be:
1- The minis (that they can sell as a bundle once they are all released)
2- Hills and Sheep
3- Abbey and Mayor

Perhaps a bonus one: King and Robber baron :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:16:44 AM by Jéré »

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 06:55:04 AM »
All good choices, but I might also throw in "The Count," "Heretics and Shrines," and I wish they'd also give us the "River I" even though they've said no before.

I was thinking though, as nice as it would be for them to implement all 6 (er technically 7 :D) mini expansions I just fail to fathom, given how they currently calculate and show you your score (hint: they don't use the score board), how they could implement the Robbers expansion and the Messages expansion unless they were willing to redo how scores are visualized.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
Carcassonne iOS/Mac News
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
I was thinking though, as nice as it would be for them to implement all 6 (er technically 7 :D) mini expansions I just fail to fathom, given how they currently calculate and show you your score (hint: they don't use the score board), how they could implement the Robbers expansion and the Messages expansion unless they were willing to redo how scores are visualized.

That's a very good point. ...but they've done miracles with the GUI so far, so maybe they can find a (different) way...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:26:11 AM »
From their twitter account yesterday:

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »
It's not going to be this summer after all.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 07:50:09 AM »
Again, expansionS (plural). Yay! :)

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
How exciting! I hope they continue to keep the classic art style.

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
How exciting! I hope they continue to keep the classic art style.
No reason they can't! In fact if you noticed, they back-ported the Abbot and Gardens expansion to the classic art style. Also, if you remember when you opt for the winter/Gingerbread expansion it makes everything be the winter theme. So even if they wanted to port everything to the new art style there is no reason they couldn't let us keep the classic art style.

Might be interesting how they'd handle that though because in order to get the winter theme you have to play with the winter expansion but how would you get the new art style? I mean you'd've thought that the Abbot expansion would've done it, but nope.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:16 AM »
If they add the new art, I imagine it will either be as an expansion or in the app settings. Either way, users will be able to turn this option on/off.

They are however kind of blocked at the moment since there is no new art version of the german cathedrals, yet.

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
If they add the new art, I imagine it will either be as an expansion or in the app settings. Either way, users will be able to turn this option on/off.

They are however kind of blocked at the moment since there is no new art version of the german cathedrals, yet.

There's no classic art version of the Abbot / gardens expansion and (except for the Gingerbread man) none of the other expansions are available in the winter theme but that didn't stop them.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 04:03:24 AM »

There's no classic art version of the Abbot / gardens expansion and (except for the Gingerbread man) none of the other expansions are available in the winter theme but that didn't stop them.

Yes, they have done an amazing job so far, but there is a difference between copying/pasting existing graphics (gardens) or changing green pixels into white pixels (winter edition) and trying to by-pass the work of an artist (Anne Pätzke) and attempt to create themselves the full new art version of the tiles. They just can't do that.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne for Mac

Started by Jéré

20 Replies
Last post October 15, 2015, 01:55:32 AM
by sheeple
xx
Carcassonne iOS: Princess & Dragon hidden achievement

Started by Jéré

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 10:32:25 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
How do you unlock AI opponent Frank on iOS Carcassonne?

Started by CarcinFool

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2018, 08:08:06 AM
by ny1050220
xx
Anybody here play the iOS Carcassonne?

Started by Duncan90

59 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 02:28:57 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne iOS App On Sale