Author Topic: Order of the Meeple: Challenge Matches  (Read 57648 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Meeple: Challenge Matches
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »
I accept! Tonight is best for me.

Coolzords. I should be available within the hour once the kids are in bed.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
Will you manage? I saw you appeared very briefly and left.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »
Ok let's postpone this. In the coming days I'll be busier but I'll find time. Cheers

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:08 AM »
Will you manage? I saw you appeared very briefly and left.

I was in the chat room by myself for about 20 minutes. Then I checked the online server and was the only person there too so I played a couple of games against Adda. I saw you there later on and said hello but you didn't respond so I logged back into the chat room and said Hi to you there too but nothing. So i guessed you must have been away and went to bed...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 02:11:07 AM »
Ah ok. Pity. Indeed I didn't look at the chat on the online server. True you said Hi in the chat room but timestamps say that you stayed less than 1 minute so I didn't have time to react. I was in my hotel room packing my suitcase, just next to the laptop.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
I think because I hadn't seen you earlier I half thought I'd missed you, and because you didn't appear to be very active in the online server lobby I assumed you'd gone...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 02:20:18 AM »
No worries!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »
It's about time I got serious about moving up. If I remember correctly, I need to win two challenges against a blue or red belt to move up to red, and I already defeated MrNumbers in a challenge match, leaving me one more.

If that's right, let me just get it over with and challenge the phantom himself, danisthirty!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »
If that's right, let me just get it over with and challenge the phantom himself, danisthirty!

Awesomeness. I accept!

I should be free and in the chat room from about 9:30 this evening. So, depending on whether TheSteveAllen is around and would like to finish our 3-player game I would definitely be up for playing our challenge then if it suits you?

I think I also have an outstanding challenge match with Jere so I'll have to squeeze that in some time too.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »

Awesomeness. I accept!

I should be free and in the chat room from about 9:30 this evening. So, depending on whether TheSteveAllen is around and would like to finish our 3-player game I would definitely be up for playing our challenge then if it suits you?

I think I also have an outstanding challenge match with Jere so I'll have to squeeze that in some time too.

OK, I'm free tonight so I'll look out for you...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Order of the Meeple: Challenge Matches
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
Tonight I challenged danisthirty and managed to win an epic evening of Carcassonne 2-1. The scores were:

Game 1: danisthirty 139, jungleboy 124
Game 2: jungleboy 89, danisthirty 81
Game 3: jungleboy 91, danisthirty 88

All three games were very tense. Both Dan and I have come a long way since we played a couple of practice games ahead of the first league here nearly three years ago. Despite our recently declining ELOs, I felt that all three were very high level matches.

Rather than a blow-by-blow account of all three games, here are a couple of general observations:

- Whoever won cloisters won all three games. They are so important in a base game only game, and it seemed like the cloister draw was lopsided in each game (the first in Dan's favour; the last two in my favour). 

- I won roads in all three games. What does that mean? Probably nothing, but maybe it's Dan's secret weak spot. Well it ain't secret anymore!

- Dan won cities in all three games. Maybe that's my secret weak spot. If so, it's a pretty weak weak spot! I mean, cities!

- The first player lost all three games. I'm pretty happy with this as I like to think that the first player doesn't have a significant advantage.

Thanks for the games Dan. It was a pleasure as always!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:43:18 PM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks for the screenshots and observations jungleboy! :(y)

After getting a good win in the first game and then JB completely running out of meeples just under halfway through the second game I thought I had it made. However, he managed to complete a couple of cloisters and scored well from them along with another couple of features. I thought I might have stayed ahead with my super mega-(incomplete)-city but it wasn't enough and JB took the win by a decent margin.

The third game was a little annoying for both of us. I tried to trap early on but JB closed the gap down to a crrf while there were still 3 left in the deck. I drew all of them though, and obviously I placed them elsewhere. Similarly, I put myself in the situation whereby I needed the last ccrr tile to take a potentially tasty city. This was probably a mistake as the meeple I sacrificed could have generated more points elsewhere, but I couldn't stand to see JB take the city if he drew the tile. Naturally JB drew it, which was bad enough by itself, but he also used it to tie the main farm which was the basket I'd carefully placed all my eggs in. With 4 or 5 tiles left to go I made a desperate attempt to win it back with my last meeple but was cut off. If I'd gone to the trouble of counting how close the scores were, and had counted the tiles closely enough to have realised that there were no tiles left which might have joined me to the farm I could have used the same meeple elsewhere to win 6 points and win by 3. Evidently I wasn't paying close enough attention though and JB punished me for this!

Congrats to jungleboy who has now beaten both MrNumbers and I in challenge matches which is the last thing he needs to become a member of the Order of the Meeple at the Red level. Welcome! :red-meeple:

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 01:47:08 AM »
With 4 or 5 tiles left to go I made a desperate attempt to win it back with my last meeple but was cut off. If I'd gone to the trouble of counting how close the scores were, and had counted the tiles closely enough to have realised that there were no tiles left which might have joined me to the farm I could have used the same meeple elsewhere to win 6 points and win by 3. Evidently I wasn't paying close enough attention though and JB punished me for this!

I had counted the scores (but not the tiles) and thought that I would still win with a tied farm. When you placed your desperation meeple to try to win the farm, I did the same with my last meeple on my next turn. If you had placed your meeple elsewhere, I wouldn't have put mine where I did, so I could potentially have also scored more points with my last two tiles.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 02:15:33 AM »
If you had placed your meeple elsewhere, I wouldn't have put mine where I did, so I could potentially have also scored more points with my last two tiles.

Good point, I feel a little better about it now. So if I'd claimed the 6-point farm you would have needed 4 points with one meeple and 2 tiles (cfff followed by crrr) to win the game. That sounds decidedly achieveable for somebody of your talents!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Dan challenged me... now he regrets... :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
1 Gold Meeple 1 Silber Meeple 1 Bronce Meeple

Started by nili3000042

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 07:46:56 AM
by Halfling
xx
How are people playing competition matches?

Started by rfielder

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2015, 08:24:28 AM
by jma03
clip
T & B League: Final Matches

Started by jungleboy

41 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 04:23:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Order of the Meeple