Author Topic: Expansion League #3 - Sign Up Here!  (Read 19244 times)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion League #3 - Sign Up Here!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
I'm in! Hopefully it's not late yet.

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »
Princess and dragon¡¡
I will have to practice a lot , because I do not play with that expansion.
but I will go all out
jejejeje
 :D
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
Before we start the new league - did you make some test games for learning the expansion "Princess&Dragon"? Also did you test the version from JCloisterZone 3.2 and 3.1.1?

My test game with version 3.2 - was not running good. The chat in JCZ 3.2 is not stable - sometimes it is only a white page and then the chat is again there and the next moment it is gone again the whole game.

test game with JCZ 3.2:
And I had problems with the move of the fairy - sometimes the my order to move the fairy didn't work - only after I gave the same order 2 or more times.
But for me was it the first time that I have played with an expansion. I have to learn how the software works.

And after a placement of a tile - the programm placed a meeple without my order on a wrong place. I didn't see any placement - I was wondering why the other player was placing his tile and follower - and then I saw the not approved placement of my follower.

I have following question:
Do we play this new league with the version 3.2 or do we play with version 3.1.1?

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
Before we start the new league - did you make some test games for learning the expansion "Princess&Dragon"? Also did you test the version from JCloisterZone 3.2 and 3.1.1?
Kettlefish - I have played several games with P&D, both against the AI and against my partner.  All were with 3.2.0.

The only issue I found has been described in another discussion this afternoon, dealing with portals.

I have had a couple of instances where my mouse clicked twice, when I thought I had clicked once.  Result was placing a meeple where I did not want it.  I know it was the mouse, because sometimes right clicking to rotate a tile causes two rotations, not one.  Unless there is an issue with how JCZ reads the mouse clicks.

I don't use the chat, so no idea if that works well or not.

And I had problems with the move of the fairy - sometimes the my order to move the fairy didn't work - only after I gave the same order 2 or more times.
That never happened to me.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
Although I can’t say I’ve encountered (m)any bugs myself, it doesn’t feel like confidence in JCZ’s implementation of The Princess & The Dragon is especially high at the moment, and it seems there have been intermittent problems with the online server since version 3.2.0 was released. Whilst I’m sure that farin will continue to work as diligently as ever in getting rid of these bugs and solving any server problems, he has a busy life and it wouldn’t be fair to expect him to drop everything else in order to ensure that our tournament can go ahead in the very near future.

With this in mind, I’d like to propose switching the focus of this league from Princess & Dragon to Abbey & Mayor since this has always been very stable. It does mean going against the results of the vote but if we’d known it wasn’t going to be plain sailing with P & D from the outset then I wouldn’t have submitted it as an option in the first place.

Hopefully this doesn’t seem too extreme. I don’t intend to postpone a Princess & Dragon league indefinitely but just until everyone’s satisfied that it is working properly. The worst case scenario would be that we get halfway through the league before realising that we’ve seen inconsistent results with the games played so far and then we get all the “but what if...” questions and the whole thing descends into chaos with talk of rematches and workarounds. Nobody wants that.

Furthermore, I’d also suggest that we stick to JCZ 3.1.1 for the time being at least. This release isn’t supported by the online server so we will require individuals such as myself, MrNumbers, Decar and (possibly) rfielder to host all games between us. I’d rather do this than have games randomly dropping out or having to be restarted because of server problems though.

This is just a suggestion so please let me know what you think by posting below.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
I agree; I think Abbey and Mayor would be preferable given the current state of the Princess and Dragon implementation.

I have noted an issue with the Princess and Dragon that I know Farin is investigating; it can currently affect all games.  I will describe it briefly the issue. It seems that from the start of the game rather than randomly drawing from the 1-101 tiles in the deck, tiles are randomly drawn from the first 1-89 meaning that some of the expansion's tiles will not have a chance of being drawn until later in the game.  This only affects some of the tiles from the Dragon and Princess expansion which are stored in memory slightly differently to other expansions.  Farin is currently checking this issue so it may transpire to not be a problem.

Some issues could be avoided assuming that a player didn't wish to take advantage of them, but the issue I described affects every game and affects how tiles are randomly drawn from the deck.  Although it is fair, in my opinion is a significant alteration to the game's intended play.

I think we should at least wait to confirm this issue with Farin, before we decided or start playing the league.  If this takes too long and we agree that playing another expansion for the time being, such as Abbey and Mayor, and revisit Dragon and Princess when JCZ has had chance to improve.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »
I agree - if players are encountering issues with the Dragon expansion, then Abbey and Mayor is a good alternative.

Just means we play with the Dragon later rather than sooner.   The important thing is - we keep playing!

If we are rolling back, I will have to find a copy of 3.1.1, since I have removed it and did not keep a copy of the download.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys.

Robert, the previous version of JCloisterZone is still available to download here: http://jcloisterzone.com/builds/JCloisterZone-3.1.1.zip

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
Although we do not know which tournament will be contested, I have decided to enter as a prize for the winner of a set of seven abbots wood, those of this topic.
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1281.msg22779#msg22779
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:45:02 AM by quevy »
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
This is very generouse and nice of you.  :(y) Not, that I would expect a chance to win, but thank you!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
It seems that from the start of the game rather than randomly drawing from the 1-101 tiles in the deck, tiles are randomly drawn from the first 1-89 meaning that some of the expansion's tiles will not have a chance of being drawn until later in the game.  This only affects some of the tiles from the Dragon and Princess expansion which are stored in memory slightly differently to other expansions.  Farin is currently checking this issue so it may transpire to not be a problem.

I suppose these are 12 tiles with the Dragon? They can enter the game only after volcano shows up. It must be the correct behavior of JCZ.

P.S. And, for the record, I am up for either decision about next League's expansion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:55:33 PM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
I've just noticed another error when playing Princess & Dragon in JCZ: it uses the outdated fairy scoring rules. That is, a player can score points even if his/her follower isn't standing NEXT TO the fairy but is only on the same tile as the fairy. I think this should also be fixed before we can start a P&D expansion league.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
Leven, that IS the correct rule isn't it?
I will play whatever
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
Leven, that IS the correct rule isn't it?
I will play whatever

According to CAR, only the followers standing next to the fairy should get points. CAR says this is the current HiG rule, so I would accept this one as correct (and not the old ruling which is implemented in JCZ).

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
But surely any meeple on the same tile is next to the fairy?  The tiles are not that big.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Expansion League #4: The Princess & The Dragon - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

159 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 12:18:39 PM
by Halfling
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Expansion League #5: The Tower - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

54 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 04:31:06 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Expansion League #6: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

31 Replies
Last post February 21, 2017, 01:53:50 AM
by jma03
xx
The Barbarian Report: Searching for a Sign (The Signposts)

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
by kothmann