Author Topic: Two questions about 20° Anniversary expansion  (Read 1307 times)

ac1982

Two questions about 20° Anniversary expansion
« on: April 02, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
The first one is very naive, but I need to be sure. The official rules and also the wiki say that a symbol gets activated when an arrow points to another tile. All of the examples then show that the arrow touches the other tile. I know I'm probably splitting hairs here but look at this scenario:

Adding the bottom-right tile, the arrow points to another tile so following the rules strictly, the symbol is activated. Nowhere in the rules is said that the other tile must be adiacent. Or am I missing anything?

The second question is: if two meeples from two different players are on a tile, one next to the other (the second one got there by a flying machine) is it possible to add a third meeple using the 20° anniversary symbol? The rules say: "You may not use this action to add a third meeple to the two already placed side by side" but it does not differentiate if the two meeples already present are the same colour or not.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5859.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions about 20° Anniversary expansion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
The first one is very naive, but I need to be sure. The official rules and also the wiki say that a symbol gets activated when an arrow points to another tile. All of the examples then show that the arrow touches the other tile. I know I'm probably splitting hairs here but look at this scenario:

Adding the bottom-right tile, the arrow points to another tile so following the rules strictly, the symbol is activated. Nowhere in the rules is said that the other tile must be adiacent. Or am I missing anything?

The rules assume that you are talking about the arrow pointing to an adjacent tile or about placing a tile adjacent to an edge with an arrow pointing back to the tile just placed.

In this case the arrow is pointing to an adjacent empty space, so you do not activate the arrow symbol on the tile just placed and you score 2 points as a result.

The second question is: if two meeples from two different players are on a tile, one next to the other (the second one got there by a flying machine) is it possible to add a third meeple using the 20° anniversary symbol? The rules say: "You may not use this action to add a third meeple to the two already placed side by side" but it does not differentiate if the two meeples already present are the same colour or not.

The rules mean that a player cannot use the "Add Meeple" symbol twice on the same meeple (group). The rules do not consider any meeples from other players or added by any other means, such as, a flying machine or a crop circle.

HiG will not be willing to provide a clarification about these interactions.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

ac1982

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »
The rules assume
Isn't this a little bit problematic?  ;D ;D The rules should tell the players how to play, not assume that the players already know stuff. I 100% agree with you about the fact that the tiles must be adiacent but... the rule says another thing. Blind-reading the rule, my scenario is not wrong, is it?  ^-^

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
OK. Let me rephrase. It seems the English wording of the rules is less strict than the German wording. The examples however show that the tiles activating an arrow must be adjacent.

Let me stress this in the main text so there is no ambiguity.

PS: It seems my use of the verb "assume" above does not convey the meaning in my head. Sorry for that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 11:34:49 AM by Meepledrone »

ac1982

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 03:00:11 PM »
I didn't mean to be rude, please believe me when I say I just wanted to have a doubt cleared. I like to be as precise as possible with rules and I was just asking. Sorry if it seemed I was being rude.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
Not at all... No worries.

The wording of the rules is not always perfect and some details are lost in translation so I'm always going back and forth between German and English. ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:36:31 AM by Meepledrone »

ac1982

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 10:41:27 PM »
I'm always going back and forth between German and English. ;D
And my english is always filtered by my Italian so sometimes I miss some hint  C:-) By the way, I LOVE the new wording of the rule, no more room for exploitation!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:36:52 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 04:37:21 AM »
Thanks!  ;D

Have fun!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Two questions C I

Started by DIN0

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 06:17:06 AM
by DIN0
xx
Two Castle Questions

Started by Allan in Brisbane

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 11:58:09 PM
by Allan in Brisbane
xx
Two questions about the Market of Leipzig

Started by carca82

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2022, 02:32:10 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Two doubts about German Castles expansion

Started by BBG

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2023, 11:42:08 AM
by NGC 54
xx
The Barbarian Report: A Little Bit of Everything (20th Anniversary Expansion)

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 02:56:00 PM
by Whaleyland