Author Topic: Brettspiel Advent Calendar 2015 - day by day  (Read 35014 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Brettspiel Advent Calendar 2015 - day by day
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
December 22th

So close to the finale (24th) we are rewarded with a small but exciting expansion for Isle of Skye!   :)
Full title of the base game in English is Isle of Skye - From Chieftan to King

Content (calendar expansion)
• 2 new Scoring tiles

Requirements
• Isle of Skye base game
• 2-5 players

The Rules (expansion)
These two new scoring tiles adds new ways to score in the game.

• One offers victory points for each horizontal tile row of at least 3 contiguous tiles
• The second scoring tile gives victory points from one of your scrolls (doubled if in a completed area)

This game also comes with a heed of warning: It may unbalance the game greatly using these.

A video for the base game can be viewed here:

My own thoughts
Those of you that know me by now, knows I'm a sucker for tiles. I love the art and it's similarity to Carcassonne. Laying down tiles is, apart from the art, probably the only thing that is similar to it. With mountains and sea edges one may think it will be hard to match areas, but you don't actually have to match the roads, which will make it easier.

I am looking forward to try this game some day. Ordered it today from a store that had 1 copy left at a decent price.  :)

Rules in German: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Isle_of_Skye_XMas_DE.pdf
Rules in English: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Isle_of_Skye_XMas_EN.pdf

BoardGameGeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/176494/isle-skye-chieftain-king
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2015, 08:35:39 AM »
Everytime I see this game, I think this mechanic would make the 'Bazaar' tiles work a little bit better.

A player who draws a Bazaar: Draws 3 tiles.  Bins 1 and marks their price in points for the others.  Then other players bid on tiles.

Could be nice to have all players draw 3 tiles and mark their prices too.

Rahdo does a great run-through for this game here:

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
Thank you for the link, Decar.

I just finished watching it and now I want to play this game so badly! Unfortunately it may not arrive until next Monday due to holiday and weekend.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the videos guys. This is the first time I've taken a look at Isle of Skye and I think it looks fabulous! As I begin to expand my horizons beyond Carcassonne I'm starting to look at what other games I might like. I'm quite particular about certain things and I can usually tell straight away whether I will like something or not [e.g. I knew I would love Carcassonne before I had ever played it based on one look at the (old) artwork]. Tile-laying games obviously agree with me because Cacao and Isle of Skye are the two that have really jumped out at me from this thread.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »
Our group has really enjoyed this game.  We've played it a couple of times now and with different rules sets each time, it can be a completely different game.  Lots of replayability.
Flee the fleas.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 11:11:31 PM »
December 23th

Will today's hatch be cream of the crop? It's a huge hatch to circle in on that's for sure!    :-*

• 6 Crop Circles tiles

Requirements
• Carcassonne Winter Edition (any version)
• 2-5 players

The Rules (expansion)
The 6 tiles are shuffled or thrown into the bag along with the other tiles that will be drawn during the game.

When one of these tiles are placed it follows a normal turn. Player may place a follower and scoring is done.

When the turn is over the player who drew the crop tile may must choose one of the following effects below (A or B) and then, starting from the player on his or her left:
• A: Each player may place a follower on a tile where he or she already has a follower on.

• B: Each player removes a follower from a tile and puts it back to his or her supply.
   Note it does say "his or her supply" in the same sentence so you can only remove your own follower from a tile.

The crop sign determines which type of follower to be added or remove:
ᴪ (pitchfork) = Farmers on a field
♂ (club) = Thieves on the road
▼ (shield) = Knights in a city

A guide for special characters like the pitchfork etc will be posted soon on this forum.

My own thoughts
This wouldn't be what I had in mind if I were to make an expansion for the Winter Edition, but I will surely not complain! Six tiles is nice on it's own which supersedes many of the expansions so far revealed!
  Could be, they wanted to add a frozen river but 12 tiles would be too much. 6 river tiles wouldn't be so bad either, though.  :)

Rules in German: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/CarcKornkr_Winter_Regel_D.pdf
Rules in English: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/CarcKornkr_Winter_Regel_E.pdf

BoardGameGeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131014/carcassonne-winter-edition
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:23:54 PM by Paul »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2015, 02:21:30 AM »
Looking forward to today's post Paul :)

Offline Frommarn91

• Villein
  • Merit: 2
  • Meep! Meep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
Finally! I've been waiting for the Carcassonne Winter tiles rule release since november :P

A minor note however: The player must choose either A or B, not may. There is a big difference and the rules actually has a specific note about that. Great thread btw!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
Finally! I've been waiting for the Carcassonne Winter tiles rule release since november :P

A minor note however: The player must choose either A or B, not may. There is a big difference and the rules actually has a specific note about that. Great thread btw!

This is indeed correct and has now been corrected!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
December 24th

The final grid in the calendar is one with power!    >:D

• 6 Connection tiles for the German board

Requirements
• Power Grid (any version with the German grid)
• 2-6 players

The Rules (expansion)
Preparation for the game is adding certain expansion tiles depending on the amount of players (2-6).

Adding 2 new phases (paying taxes and then building a transmission line or in rare circumstances 2 lines).

This is really a fun expansion adding some logical twist to the game, where players pay taxes to force connections to be build during the game to allow free cost when passing thru that connection to build later on in the game.
  Each city is connected to another city and to build there you have to pass thru a transmission line (or several) that connects both cities.
  For each transmission line there is a cost that needs to be paid. With these expansion tiles replacing certain transmissions later in the game, it will allow for these connections to be made at no cost at all (except for those connections that still have a cost and the cost to build on the city itself).

A small review for the game

My own thoughts
I've heard so much about this game and have always been intrigued about it, despite the name that puts me off buying it. Although I myself still am not convinced, just not my type of a game, I can see this being added to my collection in the future due to the somewhat complexity that it brings. And if this really is a thinking game with math and planning involved, I know some of the members in my gaming group would be very interested in this game!

Rules in German: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/funk_promo_2015_anleitung.pdf
Rules in English: http://frostedgames.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/powergrid_promo_2015_rules.pdf

BoardGameGeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:39:25 AM by Paul »

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
 :(y) Paul, fantastic, thanks to the beautiful and long work you've done.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
Indeed!  A sterling effort, keeping us posted, finding videos and sharing your thoughts. 

When I first saw this calendar I thought it was a rubbish idea.  But what a great way to explore new games and share some promos with your friends  :(y)    Plus I've now got a great box for future Advents.

A mini-carcassonne expansion for each day me thinks.  I better start work for 2016.  11 months to go!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Brettspiel Advent Calendar

Started by Whaleyland

52 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 05:58:39 AM
by DIN0
clip
Brettspiel Advent Calendar 2018

Started by Decar

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2018, 03:34:43 AM