Author Topic: Instead of scoring.  (Read 1164 times)

Offline szjozsi79

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Instead of scoring.
« on: January 20, 2022, 08:19:37 PM »
According to the rules, each completed object is awarded a point.
But with each expansion comes a new scoring system.
Points, points, points are always more and more.
For example, a city with a cathedral has many tiles and many coats of arms may be worth 70 to 100 points, or more.
Lots of scoring is boring.
I was thinking that instead of points, there might be a different rating system after the finished objects.
One idea: if an object is completed, the player could get some tiles from the common into their set, based on the size of the completed object, or even more, the value they can use at any time during the game. For example, 1 own tile per 3 (or 5) points.
I haven’t thought about how to solve it if one player has more tiles but no more in common and another player doesn’t have their own tile. That's another question.
What do you think about this?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5689.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:22:11 PM by szjozsi79 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Instead of scoring.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 12:09:46 AM »
Hi szjozsi79 and congrats for your first post!

This can be interesting, and need to be tested. Did you play some test games with this type of scoring?
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 04:20:13 AM »
Hi @szjozsi79.  Welcome to the Forum!

I love variants (rule changes with no new hardware) and yours is certainly interesting!

if an object is completed, the player could get some tiles from the common into their set, based on the size of the completed object
So, each player collects "private" tiles as the game goes on?

the value they can use at any time during the game.
Does this mean that on my turn, I am allowed to place one tile from the common (we use a bag to hold the tiles) and then play as many tiles as I want from my private set?  The idea would be that I could use multiple tiles to get into someone else's city right away, or complete my cloister, or make it impossible for you to finish your big city?  That would be pretty crazy.

I haven’t thought about how to solve it if one player has more tiles but no more in common and another player doesn’t have their own tile. That's another question.
Is the game still a contest, or is it cooperative?  Is each player trying to win or everyone trying to win together?  If there is a winner, there has to be some criterion.  Maybe the first player to run out of tiles loses?  Then tiles are like points, but they are points you can "spend" to get more points (use one extra tile to complete a big city and get even more tiles).

What do you think about this?
need to be tested. Did you play some test games with this type of scoring?
So many ideas sound great but don't work well when played.  And play-testing often inspires new ideas.

One option that this made me think about was playing some form of "Go" with Carcassonne tiles?!  When you complete a feature, you place a "stone" on all the tiles in your feature that haven't been claimed by any other player.  Not sure if you should remove stones that have no "liberties", as in regular Go, or just count stones at the end.

Thanks for sharing a fun idea.  +1 merit from me!

Offline szjozsi79

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:04:42 AM »
Does this mean that on my turn, I am allowed to place one tile from the common (we use a bag to hold the tiles) and then play as many tiles as I want from my private set?  The idea would be that I could use multiple tiles to get into someone else's city right away, or complete my cloister, or make it impossible for you to finish your big city?  That would be pretty crazy.

What I wrote was ambiguous.
It would be an option for someone to pull one from their own stock or the usual way out of the bag.
This reduces the luck factor.
I didn’t test, it was just an idea that the goal shouldn’t really be scoring, but the mechanics of the game.
What good is it for someone to go around the scoreboard 5 or 6 times already? If they were playing for real money, it would make sense, but for me it is not important, but that cities are built, roads are built, the map and the landscape is growing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:06:39 AM by szjozsi79 »

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 05:23:52 AM »
cities are built, roads are built, the map and the landscape is growing.
Oh!  Cooperative!  Nice.

I googled "cooperative carcassonne" and found this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/62910/cooperative-carcassonne-variant

Pretty interesting implementation of a variant, with different missions as the goal, and a constraint that you must complete a feature every 5 turns.  (I think--just quickly skimmed the rules.)  There are lots of comments that suggest people actually played and enjoyed it.

That sounds like fun!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Why cities score 2 points/tile instead of 1 point/tile?

Started by lucian

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 02:45:09 AM
by Decar
xx
adding pictures in text instead of adding as attachment

Started by thodekey

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 01:38:53 PM
by Sinscerly
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
question
Scoring Question

Started by dsegel

15 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 01:40:54 PM
by Willem
xx
Wagon, Monastery, and Scoring