Poll

If only use one river expansion, which would you choose?

river1 (include new version)
3 (20%)
river2
12 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: If only choose one, river1 or river2?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline lucian

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
If only choose one, river1 or river2?
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
In some carcassonne PC/phone games, they usually come with river2 and claim this one is the most desired.
However, boardgames almost always come with river1.

So, I'm just curious,  if only use one river expansion, which one is more popular.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3936.0

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: If only choose one, river1 or river2?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:04:39 AM »
In theory the river II is better because of the two branches and the end of one branch being capped with a city to separate farms. River II also supplies a volcano for the dragon. However a couple of early River bends can make tile placements tricky or impossible leaving a stunted and nasty looking start to the game.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:24 AM »
Hey lucian, thanks for suggesting this poll! :) :(y)

I'm not really a big fan of either river, but if I had to choose I'd choose River 2. The problem with River 1 (as I see it) is that you don't really have any placement options beyond how the tile is oriented. The fact that River 2 includes the branch immediately after the spring means that you have a choice of where you're going to put it, as well as how it's going to be oriented. At least until one branch is terminated anyway!

As Halfling touched upon, the fact that it incorporates features from other expansions (#1: an inn, #2: a pig herd, #3: a volcano) also helps to better integrate it into the game imho. Or at least provides the options to do so, even if you choose to ignore them.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
I've always thought River 2 was the improved - an analysis was done back in the day... here: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12081.phtml

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »
an analysis was done back in the day... here: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12081.phtml

Good article by Shannon Appelcline; thanks for that, Decar.

One minor clarification, lest anyone get a tad confused: Shannon over-counted the number of initial field segments. This seems to suggest that he thought the city overpass divides the fields, but in fact it doesn't. (Source: CAR 7.4 footnote 253.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:45:48 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
We enjoyed the River when we first received Carcassonne.  It doesn't get much play time any more, so I guess we don't particularly enjoy either.  River 2 is ok, River 1 is ok as long as it uses the spring from Games Quarterly.

Offline lucian

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
I'm not really a big fan of either river, but if I had to choose I'd choose River 2. The problem with River 1 (as I see it) is that you don't really have any placement options beyond how the tile is oriented. The fact that River 2 includes the branch immediately after the spring means that you have a choice of where you're going to put it, as well as how it's going to be oriented. At least until one branch is terminated anyway!

Yeah, river1 has only one placement to put the tile, however, I remember there is a house rule that it uses spring tile as end tile, and uses a random river tile as the start tile, in order to give player one more option as river2. I think it works well and maybe better than river2, because there is no branch to disturb the later game.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 04:20:38 AM »
I myself prefer River 2 for the mere fact that it contains a volcano and a pig herd, so it adds to the other big expansions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
House Rule for pig herd (River2+Dragon)

Started by OneEyedOwl

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2022, 01:15:51 PM
by OneEyedOwl
xx
Twenty-four Spiel Tiles, one Darmstadt, one Tunnels, and two River II - on offer

Started by egamar

20 Replies
Last post December 01, 2022, 02:54:59 PM
by egamar
xx
How to Choose the Perfect Board Game

Started by MrNumbers

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 03:11:03 PM
by SRBO
xx
[WTG] Carcassonne 2.0 + All Full Expansions - Boxes and Inserts ONLY