Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group B  (Read 24330 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group B
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
Should be available for a game this evening!

Would 21:30 be ok for you? Let me know, thanks!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
I don't suppose either of you happened to record this game did you? This is one I would have paid for a ticket to watch!

I don't think Leven would have liked to have this game recorded... ;) I will let him explain what happened with his last tile... :-/

Actually, it wouldn't bother me. That video could be a good tutorial about the importance of keeping focused to the very last tile. Even if you think you've already lost the game. Like I did think yesterday.  ???

Approaching the end of the game it became obvious that the largest farm of the game (with 10 cities) were to be decisive: if Jéré would get majority there then he would win the game. With a well-placed RFFF cloister tile he was able to take the lead there by 5:4. My purple farmer on the left side (on the RFRF tile with an inn) was my last promising attempt to equalize. I've put it there cca. 10 tiles to the end (when the RFRF tile two tiles above it wasn't there yet) and I knew there were still some proper tiles left (containing a turn). My next two tiles wasn't appropriate, and meanwhile Jéré started defending, and finally (4 or 5 tiles to the end) he placed that RFRF tile which meant that I could not join that meeple to the farm with an average turn tile any more. It made me think it's all over. Which generally is the case but not when playing with I&C which includes an RRRR tile with two turns. I completely forgot about this tile and I gave up every hope about winning the game (at this moment I wrote "good game" in the chat window but could have written "congrats" as well). During post-game chat Jéré told me that he was also confident of his victory then.

But then at my last turn I drew this particular RRRR tile. And I placed it somewhere in the bottom area just to collect some points with another farm. Jéré asked me: "But why?" At first I didn't understand it. What why? Why good game or what? Then he wrote I could win the game with that tile. You can imagine how I felt then. ("OMG YOU'RE RIGHT!") What a stupid mistake.  :-[

Still, it was indeed a good game with lots of ups and downs, and a memorable endgame. And a good lesson for me that one should never give up.

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 03:12:40 PM »
Amazing endgame. Jére lost against me very close with last tile, Leven lost against Jéré very close with last tile... I guess I have to be very concentrated in the game against Leven, so that fate wont await me.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
Jere, you contacted my via pm and also here. Unfortunately, I wont make today due to work. I know many of you are going to Spiel but I'll be here the coming days.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Can we play our game tomorrow evening, Valheru? 6pm or 10pm?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:57:52 PM by Adrornalin »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »
Jere, you contacted my via pm and also here. Unfortunately, I wont make today due to work. I know many of you are going to Spiel but I'll be here the coming days.

Ok no worries.

We can try again tomorrow same time, otherwise next week.

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
I would be ready to play from now until open end today, idling in the irc channel @ Valheru, Leven, aenima, just FYI.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »
Second game in this Worldcup. I'll be the North-Korea of a regular worldcup if this keeps going haha ;)

Adrornalin  :yellow-meeple: 277
Valheru  :green-meeple: 226

Last possible tile (the cccc with the silk at the top) finished the gamechanger in favor of Adrornalin. Tense battle for the city, and it was close until that with hardly a point difference between us. Can't blame me being unlucky or doing something wrong. It was a throw of the dice, I thought. Maybe Adrornalin might add something?

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
Thanks for posting, Valheru. Yep, it was a cool and fast game. Everyone made the best out of his opportunities I think. No big farm battles, everyone found his spot. I would have closed the big city sooner even when we were tie, but no proper tile came, and so I build on and on that city with my builder until I luckily had the chance to bring a third meeple into position. I hoped there were more CCxx tiles left, thats also why I thought you will try to prevent me from joining. So I was glad you didnt place tiles next to mine to block or to join in as well. If you had drawn the CCCC with split, maybe you had won because of the goods. Thanks for the game and good luck in the ongoing tournament!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
7 games played
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 10:45:07 PM »
My game in person against Skane. It was a pleasure to meet him in Essen!

Unfortunately, I gave him hard time when he tried to connect to the main field (52 pts)... ;)

Final score:

And the landscape:

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2016, 01:51:26 AM »
8 games played.  Merit to Skane for being the first to complete all his group matches.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »
:violet-meeple: Leven vs  :yellow-meeple: Adrornalin 228:220

Another thriller game decided by the final few tiles.  :o
Both of us had some lucky moments especially at finishing our cathedral cities (one each) with the proper tile.
As the point difference is less than 10 points it was definitely the crucial moment when near the end I drew the CCCC tile with four city segments and with that tile I could finish Adrornalin's small city containing a cloth (it the upper right corner) which secured my majority in that trade good.

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Amazing endgame. Jére lost against me very close with last tile, Leven lost against Jéré very close with last tile... I guess I have to be very concentrated in the game against Leven, so that fate wont await me.

As I had predicted, it was a tough and close game. The tile distribution was very fair. I couldnt block his cathedral city and he draw the last crfr. He couldnt block my cathedral city and I draw one out of three remaining cccc split possibilities. Very soon I occupied the main farm until the end with only one farmer and blocked his farmer from joining. Therefore he had majority in the trade goods - also in the trade good "cloth", even before closing my mini city. So it wasnt necessary because there was no tile left for me to close, but it gave you more farm points of course. My only fault maybe was that I concentrated more than usually on trapping, that is why I had most of my meeples left in the supply during the game and also in the end, although with about 30 tiles to go I started placing a meeple whenever possible. But I couldnt catch up the 8 pts margin. Congrats to Leven, well done, and thanks for an amazing game!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:34:13 PM by Adrornalin »

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
I'm offline from Sunday evening till Friday evening, that's why I want to complete my last game now. I wrote a message to aenima and he told me that he cant continue the tournament. If there will be a new participant taking his place, I try to schedule a game quickly. If not, my group stage is finished and the world cup in general is probably over for me because I'm afraid I wont reach second place anymore.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group A

Started by danisthirty

62 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 02:08:14 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
2016 World Cup - Group C

Started by danisthirty

46 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 10:13:02 PM