Author Topic: Today I played...  (Read 12707 times)

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Today I played...
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:08:01 AM »
What games are on your table  in the last days?
Friday night on our table we played at Historia.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157096/historia

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1786.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:47:50 AM by quevy »
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Re: Today I played...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
What are your thoughts on Historia so far? It piqued my interest but decided not to Kickstart it. Still intrigued.

Our newest to the table is a game with a big fan base, Stone Age, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34635/stone-age

Next to Carc, Lords of Waterdeep is probably our next favourite game and I saw all the comparisons with this to Stone Age. I decided to try it. My wife loves it and I like it so far. To me it doesn't hold a candle to LoW, but I can see where this could be the go to intro worker placement game. So easy to teach and play.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:03:57 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
What are your thoughts on Historia so far? It piqued my interest but decided not to Kickstart it. Still intrigued.

I made it with 2 games, both won.
I love this game, many ways to score points, there is no precise way and you plan well you will get good results. If I have to find fault I can say that the mistakes you pay, you risk not being able to back into the game and be relegated to last place.

Our newest to the table is a game with a big fan base, Stone Age, https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=STONE+AGE&B1=Go

Next to Carc, Lords of Waterdeep is probably our next favourite game and I saw all the comparisons with this to Stone Age. I decided to try it. My wife loves it and I like it so far. To me it doesn't hold a candle to LoW, but I can see where this could be the go to intro worker placement game. So easy to teach and play.

For a long time I think I buy that, but every time I find something more interesting.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:43:07 PM »
Our newest to the table is a game with a big fan base, Stone Age, https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=STONE+AGE&B1=Go

For a long time I think I buy that, but every time I find something more interesting.

Someday I plan to get this too, but it's always been quite expensive everywhere I've seen it.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
I got Stone Age a little less than a year ago.  I got really lucky and found a German copy of the expansion too.  It was expensive at $45, but it was cheaper than most I'd seen.  It is increasingly more rare since I don't think anyone has a license to print it right now.
Flee the fleas.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »
I got Stone Age a little less than a year ago.  I got really lucky and found a German copy of the expansion too.  It was expensive at $45, but it was cheaper than most I'd seen.  It is increasingly more rare since I don't think anyone has a license to print it right now.
Z-Man is apparently re-releasing the expansion soon. It's also getting rid of the stupid name for it and simply calling it "The Expansion" or something like that.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
Z-Man is apparently re-releasing the expansion soon. It's also getting rid of the stupid name for it and simply calling it "The Expansion" or something like that.

:(y)

Offline spikey_dino

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »

Someday I plan to get this too, but it's always been quite expensive everywhere I've seen it.

You two should definitely check Stone Age out on boardgamearena.com 
It's a lot of fun and online you'll always have someone to play with

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
Last Friday, in the evening game, strangely composed of only two people have played these games.
A partida X-wing with this expansion. The first of a campaign of 3 or 4 missions.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/146766/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game-tantive-iv-expans

After we had a challenge in this game very funny and strategic.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143519/quantum

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
At our game night last night we played Roll Through the Ages, which I rather enjoy.  We also began playing Castles of Burgundy, but the ice cream shop we were playing in closed before we got finished.  We weren't able to finish the last two rounds, it was a bummer, but at least I was leading on the scoreboard!   :blue-meeple:

Today I got to try Mice and Mystics for the first time.  I played with my son and some family friend's children.  It was pretty fun.  I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Offline Joff

• Authors
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
I have been playing the excellent Brew Crafters quite a bit recently. On Wednesday our group is going to give Russian Railroads a go and then at our next months session I think Le Havre is going to hit the table for the first time.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
I have been playing the excellent Brew Crafters quite a bit recently.
How is it? I bought it in the kickstarter but the project got so delayed that I didn't receive it in time before moving to New Zealand, so it's sitting unopened in an Arizona basement for the foreseeable future. Very sad times. I heard it was pretty cool.

Offline Joff

• Authors
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
I was also a KS backer of Brew Crafters and in fact it has been my most delayed game of all that I've backed. However, in my opinion, Brew Crafters is a smashing worker placement game. It takes its heritage from Agricola, but is less punishing. Bear in mind that we only ever play the 'Family' version of Agricola (without the cards), which we feel is the superior version because we like completely open information. That is reflected in Brew Crafters, where everything is known by all from the start. I also prefer the brewing theme over the farming theme.

My daughter's (20) favourite game is Agricola, but after playing Brew Crafters, she now requests that over Agricola.

You need to get on a 'plane, fly back to Arizona, pick up your copy, fly back to NZ and get it to the table!

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
Or we can have another go at trying to catch up.  I have a copy and enjoy it.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
I was also a KS backer of Brew Crafters and in fact it has been my most delayed game of all that I've backed. However, in my opinion, Brew Crafters is a smashing worker placement game. It takes its heritage from Agricola, but is less punishing. Bear in mind that we only ever play the 'Family' version of Agricola (without the cards), which we feel is the superior version because we like completely open information. That is reflected in Brew Crafters, where everything is known by all from the start. I also prefer the brewing theme over the farming theme.

My daughter's (20) favourite game is Agricola, but after playing Brew Crafters, she now requests that over Agricola.

You need to get on a 'plane, fly back to Arizona, pick up your copy, fly back to NZ and get it to the table!
Sounds excellent. I did bring Caverna with me as well as Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (and expansions). But we've played the former once since being here and haven't touched the latter. Granted, we haven't played much of anything at all here because we don't really have the time and we generally prefer to unwind with a TV show in the evening rather than a board game. We also haven't found a game group that meets at a workable time. We don't like to sacrifice our Fridays but all the groups around here meet then. Our own friends aren't gamers and converting them is proving difficult.

My sister-in-law will be visiting next Summer so I will probably have her bring the game and send back another game (or two) with her. I agree that the theme seems fun and I do like knowing all the information. Caverna shows all the information, like Brew Crafters, so that's something at least. I like it better than Agricola, but my partner likes Agricola (family version) more.

Or we can have another go at trying to catch up.  I have a copy and enjoy it.
Thank you for the offer, Andrew. I don't really have any trips planned to the North Island anytime soon, though. I have a PhD supervisor in Auckland, so I'll probably end up up there sometime, but I'm not sure when. We have yet to decide if we want to do another road trip on the North Island, though. Perhaps when my sister-in-law comes, but at that point I'll have my copy finally!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Surprise Carcassonne tournament in Barcelona today

Started by jungleboy

11 Replies
Last post December 21, 2014, 12:19:11 PM
by jungleboy
exclamation
Outage today

Started by gantry

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 06:47:45 AM