Author Topic: Escape in the game Carcassonne  (Read 708 times)

Offline melaniewalker

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Escape in the game Carcassonne
« on: August 09, 2023, 07:18:24 PM »
What your luckiest escape in a game of Carcassonne?

Mine might have been this lunchtime in the first round of a Single Elimination knockout tournament against a 100 Elo player.

She kept getting cloisters and completing them while I had to wait until my final tile to close a crucial city. Amazingly the result was a tie, so I only lost 9 Elo - phew!!

Due to the vagaries of the BGA system, I was put through to the next round.

A lucky escape indeed!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6427.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Escape in the game Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 05:24:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum melaniewalker! I've been catching up on posts, as I've not been able to get to the forum for a long long time!

That sounds like a great game, it's always nice when you make the most of the tiles that you've been given.

I've certainly had many close games, but I think my favourite was playing against Udo Schmitz in-person, who organized Carcassonne-on-tour.  It was a deciding match of a team tournament, and with my penultimate tile, I made a vague attempt and glomming onto a field to take majority.

I stupidly drew my next tile during his turn, and looked at it.....I wish I hadn't because it was precisely the tile I needed.  Udo thought it best to score points, but he was tentatively considering blocking any chance of me joining.  I knew if he made eye contact with me he'd know I had the tile I needed.... I have a weak poker face.  Thankfully I he didn't look, and I was able to win the game, and the tournament.

"Unbelievable" Udo echoed.

Ah great memories.

Offline wallaceprime

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 53
  • I'm skillful, you're lucky! ;-)
    • View Profile
    • Wallaceprime's photo gallery
Re: Escape in the game Carcassonne
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 10:01:07 PM »
My luckiest escape was against a 150 Elo player, so over 400 Elo lower than me and the loss would have hit me severely.

I was down on points and needed the farm to win. I was up 4-2 in the farm, but she had 2 meeples waiting to join and had just got the tile she needed to join one of them in (with a 75% chance of getting the 2nd one to win)... but she added it to her road instead - phew!

Never too old to learn new tricks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Why Escape a Besieged City?

Started by danisthirty

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
by Carcking
xx
Luckiest Escape!

Started by wallaceprime

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2022, 06:58:43 AM