Off Topic > Anything Else

Traveling to GERMANY-ITALY-BELGIUM-AUSTRIA this spring. Looking for Suggestions.

(1/5) > >>

Bixby:
Hello:

Our oldest daughter is currently living in Berlin for a year and my wife and I are planning to visit. We are taking 5 weeks to explore parts of Europe. We have had wonderful luck in the past when we have asked people for recommendations for things to see & do. Here are a few guidelines and questions. The trip is from mid-April to mid-May.
1. Neither of us are really into museums. We love architecture and outdoor scenic beauty. We enjoy hiking, rustic settings, good beer, good wine, and unique travel experiences.
Is there anything you recommend we put on our list to see and do while in the above countries?

2. Is the Tank museum in Munster worth visiting? (I like WWII tank sites and information).

3. Is it worth going to Bamberg to visit the Schlenkerla Rauchbier brewery. We love smoked beer.

4. Is the Eagle's Nest in Austria worth a visit?

5. Anything in Berlin that is simply a must see/do experience?

6. Is this worth doing? http://www.duerrnberg.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=83

7. Any Belgian monasteries that you recommend for a tour and the beer?

8. Anything else you can think of?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=186.0

Tacita:

--- Quote from: Bixby on March 04, 2013, 12:26:52 PM ---7. Any Belgian monasteries that you recommend for a tour and the beer?
--- End quote ---
Westvleteren is the best beer ever made, but visiting that monestary is a bit tricky. You should hit the local pub though and sample the beer. Pretty much any monestary you go to (that brews beer) will not dissapoint you, but Orval is a bit different. Rochefort beer is very sweet, so if that is not to you liking maybe you should opt for one of the others. :)

kettlefish:
If you go to the museum at munster from Berlin , than you can drink a coffee or a beer in my town...

In the region of Munster and Soltau are some interesting things to look. But here in the north of Germany we have not much mountains...
I don't know how it is the museum at Munster. I had all the years in my childhood the playing game war in the field behind the house each year in spring and autumn.

Many towns here in Germany have their own beer. In my town we have 2 breweries.

Purity:

--- Quote from: Bixby on March 04, 2013, 12:26:52 PM ---2. Is the Tank museum in Munster worth visiting? (I like WWII tank sites and information).

--- End quote ---

i visited this museum some years ago and i think its always worth a visit but also the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung (WTS) der Bundeswehr in Koblenz is a nice trip.

if you prefer some adventure then i suggest you to visit the maginot line on the french or luxembourgish side. there are some officially closed (but inofficially opened) bunkers of great condition. we visited some last year with more than 300m tunnel constructions and we made some stunning pictures. for payed tours i suggest "simserhof" (1.600m tunnels / 30m deep)

Fritz_Spinne:
In the museum there are tanks from WWI, WWII and from today, also other military material. I think, if you like those things, you will enjoy a visit there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version