Author Topic: Worst Carcassonne expansion to date  (Read 8711 times)

Offline CarcAddict

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Carcassonne expansion to date
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
3. Carcassonne Minis - I more or less consider them as one big expansion. To me most of the mechanics were not fun, not well balanced and added a lot of fiddlines for very little benefit. The only good part were Crop Circles.

Maybe you don't like them because you consider them as one big expansion? Despite the fact that they all come in the same Big Box that's not really how they're designed to be played. I can't speak too favourably of Messengers or Robbers as I've never really played them, but Fliers, Mage & Witch and Goldmines in particular are great little expansions in their own right in terms of how they change the game and the tactics required to take advantage of them as much as possible.

Definitely that's probably the reason, as mentioned I score them as a  whole, especially considering there are Crop Circles and features distribution which ties them together. If scored separately my opinions are more like this:

Crop Circles - Very Good

Mage and Witch - Rather Good

Gold Mines - Mediocre

Ferries - Mediocre

Flyers - Rather Bad

Robbers - Awful

Messengers - Awful

So if considered separately, the only Minis which would make my worst list would be Messengers and Robbers.

I agree that the disruption to the flow of the game caused by bazaars is a weakness here, but I don't think bridges or castles are poorly designed, convoluted or ugly. I actually think the bridges look pretty cool and I like the castle tokens too. Again, they provide the players with extra options that they didn't have before and introduce new challenges/ risks to be considered and evaluated. Don't underestimate the impact that these can have in games of Carcassonne; it's what expansions do!

Extra points are nice, but I dislike expansions which make features easier to complete or steal. Bridges makes joining fields to easy to my taste, they also seem to be overpowered with Barns.
Castles were nice in theory, but in practice they were difficult to track and we had too many situations were we forgot to score them and that was difficult to backtrack and overall lowered fun of  the game.

In the end it is really nice to see different opinions and points of view. It helps to get a better perspective and maybe revisit some expansions which weren't that hot in the first place.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
Catapult is the worst without a doubt. Carcassonne is not a game of juggling. Authentically a shame. Is the only big expansion with no reprint in the new edition.

Enviado desde mi XT1700 mediante Tapatalk

I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline MeepleFan

• Freeman
  • Merit: 7
  • Farmers, I greet you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 11:24:48 AM »
In my opinion "The Catapult" also. It changes strategy by luck.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
There are a few that I don't like.
1. The catapult component of the Catapult. I, too, think the tiles are good.
2. The Count. You pretty much always need to check with everyone when someone is about to score. In a 3-player game, an hour-long game is now 4 hours.
3. Bridges, Castles & Bazaars. Echoing from above, Castles are so easy to forget and Bazaars interrupt the flow so counter-intuitively.
4. The half-sized and double-sized tiles. Caused so much trouble interpreting interactions with other expansion.
5. Messengers are not that bad, but whenever your score, you'll want to see which score-marking meeple on the scoreboard can give you a message.
6. Ferries. Just not enough incentive to put more effort on the not-so-interesting roads, especially when compared to the Inns.
7. Japanese Temples. If a modern convention centre does not blend in, how could buildings on the other side of the world?

Having finished the list, I realize that these are the bad expansions, in my opinion, from the worst to the least bad. I like all the other expansion that I have.

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 10:41:53 AM »
Not visited the forum in l-o-n-g time! Just having a quick browse through and this thread caught my eye.

For me the Catapult is by far the worst expansion. Nothing to do with the 'real' game and a bit childish in my opinion. Are there any good uses for the cards, etc?

Not sure why so many are against Wheel Of Fortune? It comes out here a lot. Especially if we are after a basic game but not got time/room to have lots of expansions. Totally disagree that the wheel is pointless. Plays very well in our house!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
grin
The worst expansion combination

Started by corinthiens13

9 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 06:16:07 AM
by Meepledrone
question
What's your worst Carcassonne purchase?

Started by SirReel

9 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 04:14:04 AM
by Lord_Wishmaster
xx
CAR links on Carcassonne Central home page out of date

Started by CarcinFool

13 Replies
Last post August 26, 2015, 12:16:48 PM
by rfielder
xx
Badly sort by Date in Downloads

Started by Bumsakalaka

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2020, 02:19:11 AM
by Murphy013
xx
WTT/FS Expansion: 2 (2.0) -> Expansion: 2 (2.1)

Started by Tolben

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 08:55:40 AM
by Tolben