Carc Central Community > News and Events

Belgian tournament

(1/2) > >>

Death Meeple:
Hi all,

I was deperately lloking for a Carcassonne event in Belgium, contacted Asmodee Belgium who told me there where currently no competition in Belgium, when this event from a belgian association in collaboration with 999 Games appeared in my news feed:

https://www.999games.nl/evenementen/bk-carcassonne-2024?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=event&utm_content=bk-carcassonne&fbclid=IwAR0nK5tHzPbj-DNJGAz_XQbK6tEuHQKxBIIOZWDGl9BoBrxMOIO31kBwIQ8

So there is a tournament in Belgium on 16 March 2024, what a great news!
If there are other belgian members on the forum, maybe we'll meet there :)

BTW: I contacted 999 Games as the event is located in the Dutch speaking pas of Belgium, they confirmed it's not a problem for people speaking French, and someone on a Facebook group told me he went last year and most people are ok to speak english :)

See you there!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6578.0

Willem:
Asmodee don't distribute Carcassonne in Belgium, I believe it's 999 Games for both NL and Belgium.
And they usually outsource the organisation of both BE and NL championships, although they sponsor it of course.

With Belgium being bilingual, I would imagine it shouldn't be an issue for french speaking people to join in.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if there are any rules regarding entry.
Some countries have rules stating you're only allowed to participate if you live in the country, or have the nationality.
For the Dutch championship I know you can always enter, however you are only allowed to represent NL at the World Championships if you have the Dutch nationality (last year the tournament was won by someone from Belgium, so te runner up went to Essen (and came in 3rd overall)

Good luck! The 4-player games can be tricky and catch people out, so best to practise those!

Death Meeple:
Well, I understood Asmodee distributes it for the french speaking part of Belgium and 999 Games for the dutch speaking part?
I can find Carcassonne on Asmodee Belgium website, and just like the games I can find in physical shops, they are all labelled with the Z-Man Games logo.

Also, I had an issue in an expansion box bought in a physical shop (the count meeple was broken), I contacted Asmodee Belgium, they freely replaced the meeple (and even included free tiles in the package), so I guess they must have some role to play in the distribution over here?

Belgium is a complex country... Even us belgians don't always understand it :D

I didn't knew it wasn't mandatory to have the nationality to play in a national competition, maybe this will give me the opportunity to play elsewhere :)
We were originally planning to travel to Carcassonne next summer for the event in Carcassonne, but I understood it was sadly limited to people living in France :(

About the 4-player games: indeed, someone who played last year told me about it, and suggested to join him on BGA to practice some 4-player games before the event. I highly prefer 2-player games, as I think luck impacts the game heavier in multi player games, and I prefer the competitive mindset induced by 2-player games... But let's see and hope we can pass these steps to join the duel phase! :D

It will be a first time for me and I'm only playing for 6 months, I don't think I can win against good players (I'm on BGA for a week and the lesson is hard! :D ), but I'm sure I'll enjoy the day!

Vital Pluymers:
In former years, there were regularly participants from other countries, obviously especially from the Netherlands.
If you speak English, French or even German, it shouldn't be a problem to communicate with most of the participants.

Willem:
I think the distribution might be more split per language rather than country specific.
And yes, a bilingual country like Belgium makes something like that more complex.
999 Games has the distribution of the game in Dutch, Asmodee France (under the Z-Man Games brand) have it in French.
So it makes sense for both to be involved in the Belgian market.
(And I would argue in some parts in the east you could expect some German releases from HiG/Asmodee Germany, but let's not complicate it further)

In the early days (when HiG was doing the publishing in French themselves), 999 Games even included some french rules in some expansion boxes. This stopped, probably at similar time of when Filosofia took in the french distribution.
It gets complex hahaha

The rules regarding the national championships can and will differ between countries, so do read up on that.
For some you have to have the nationality, for some you have to live there, for some you can enter but just not represent the country at the world championships (if you win).
One thing to note, is that the world championship rules state that you're only allowed to enter 1 national championship per year. Meaning you are technically not allowed to travel to a bunch of countries to try and win one and enter the world championships that way.
If you don't win any national championship, then this wouldn't come up, but just a note from the world championships rules.

If you want to practise a bit on 4-player games, I'm happy to join some as well. Look me up on BGA (Willem88), and do send me a DM here as I dont always get BGA notifications

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version