Author Topic: Welcome Tournament 2016  (Read 97950 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Welcome Tournament 2016
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:40 AM »
Dont worry too much. Hopefully, there's plenty of time to practice some of the expansions you might not be familiar with!

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
If you have a preference for expansions - you're welcome to suggest some ;)

I have a preference to NOT have the Tower expansion in the tournament.  I own the Tower but have only played it twice.  The person I normally play with completely hates it and I must admit I find it a bit frustrating myself.  Perhaps if I got more used to it wouldn't be so bad.  It seems like it really restricts the areas you 'can' (would want to) place tiles.  If it is in the tourney I will try to practice a bit with it beforehand, but since suggestions are welcome I thought I'd voice my opinion.

Expansions I would like to see are Traders/Builders, Phantom, Abbey/Mayor, Flying Machines, Gold Mines, Inns/Cathedrals.

I would really like to see Festival expansion as it provides some remedy from trapping.

I am really excited for this tournament and I look forward to some great matches. :green-meeple:
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
If you have a preference for expansions - you're welcome to suggest some ;)

I have a preference to NOT have the Tower expansion in the tournament.  I own the Tower but have only played it twice.  The person I normally play with completely hates it and I must admit I find it a bit frustrating myself.  Perhaps if I got more used to it wouldn't be so bad.  It seems like it really restricts the areas you 'can' (would want to) place tiles.  If it is in the tourney I will try to practice a bit with it beforehand, but since suggestions are welcome I thought I'd voice my opinion.

Expansions I would like to see are Traders/Builders, Phantom, Abbey/Mayor, Flying Machines, Gold Mines, Inns/Cathedrals.

I would really like to see Festival expansion as it provides some remedy from trapping.

I am really excited for this tournament and I look forward to some great matches. :green-meeple:

That is exactly also my opinion.  :(y)

Additionally I would like to add preferences also for Princess&Dragon, Magician&Witch and maybe Cults, Siege and one of the "tiles only" expansions. Well... in sum nearly all. So I cant call it a preference  :D

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »
Some great suggestions everyone!

It's been a few days since anyone else has signed up - so I think we can start.

I'll try and sit down tomorrow morning and introduce the first round and randomize the groups of players. 

Given we have 9 players, I think 3 groups of 3 would be the best.  I think 2 randomized rounds before breaking into ranked groups.

Will post details as soon as I can.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »
Hi Decar. Are you not waiting a few more days then (you initially mentioned closing entries after the UK Expo)? I have a couple of friends who might like to participate but who are totally new to the game. They're not guaranteed to sign up of course, but I introduced Carcassonne to one of them this lunchtime and they seemed to enjoy it. The 3 of us are meeting up on Tuesday evening to play, so should be in a position to let you know shortly after. I think it would be a shame if they wanted to join but were a few days late. However, there's always next time though, so I'll leave it with you to decide.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
Ah yeah thanks for the reminder!

I'm happy to wait, if it gives people some more opportunity for people to join.  TBH, I think 12 would be better than 9 anyway!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
Thanks, that's good of you. I can't promise that they'll sign up though, but I'll definitely encourage them! Last year's Welcome Tournament was the first time I'd played online having just discovered the game and I really enjoyed it, so I'd like them to have the same opportunity too if possible. Cheers

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the support Rich!  No pressure on them at all - I mean to ask if you'd introduced the game to them on Wednesday, totally slipped my mind - I blame Alhambra scoring :p   Thanks for getting your friends involved :)

Edit: Forum post 40000!

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31:11 AM »
Any news on this tournament yet?  I am very much looking forward to it.

I do have a question about hosting. Do all of my the tournament games need to be hosted?  I dont know how to host, but I have set up and played several online games on JCZ just using the "play online " feature and that seems to work ok. Is that method acceptable or must all the games actually be "hosted"?  Is there much of a difference between the two methods?

Thank you

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 03:06:51 AM »
With the Play Online feature, chances are higher that the connection crashes during a match or that some error in JCZ occures. That is what the guys told me. And I do believe them ^-^ But it shouldnt be a problem to find a host, I think.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 03:24:23 AM »
With the Play Online feature, chances are higher that the connection crashes during a match or that some error in JCZ occures. That is what the guys told me. And I do believe them ^-^ But it shouldnt be a problem to find a host, I think.

This is true. Whilst the online server seems to work well much of the time, games hosted directly by one of the players or by a third party tend to encounter fewer anomalies and also have the option to reload saved games in the event of a crash...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
Thanks for answering Dan.  Yes in our experience hosting games locally is slightly more stable and it allows you or somone else to resume while playing.  It does mean opening a port on your home router to allow access, but this is usually quite easy to do and Im sure we could help.

We're waiting a few more days to see if Rich's friends wish to join or any late comers who see Carcassonne at the UK Games Expo this weekend.  I'm also away this weekend, hopefully by the middle of next week we'll have a definite idea of numbers and a start.

Thanks for the patience!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
Hi folks. Really sorry if I have delayed things, but I really wanted to give my friends an opportunity of joining the welcome tournament seeing as I enjoyed it so much last year. In the last week I've managed to introduce both of them to the physical game, but they've only managed to play one game each (which they won). Whilst they both seemed to enjoy playing Carc, unfortunately neither of them can commit to playing in a tournament at the moment as they are both are struggling for free time (this was not certain until very recently). So regretfully they won't be signing up this time around. Hopefully the additional time will have given others a chance to sign up, especially if there was interest following the Expo tournament last Sunday. Anyway, good luck to all participants and I hope that you have a great tournament.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2016, 03:18:32 AM »
Thanks for letting us know and trying Rich the Fish!

I'll be randomizing the table of entries this evening with details of the first round of the Tournament.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm sending you a message to let you know the Welcome Tournament has started!

If you've not done so already, I would recommend you adjust your settings so you receive emails for all responses on the forum thread:
Details here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2737.msg40451#msg40451

Organizing a Game
As I already mentioned, each player must play every other player in their group.  Please PM someone in the group to organize a game.  Be mindful of constraints on time-zones etc -  I'm sure everyone can be accommodating.

Please let us know here if you have problems scheduling a game with any player.  It would be helpful if you could share the time of your games here as well, so we can see who has been proactive etc.

If for whatever reason, you cannot attend the game please let us and your partner know As Soon As Possible.  It does not mean you will have to forfeit your game, possibly you can arrange for a more suitable time.

Carcassonne Medium
I don't strictly impose a Carcassonne medium that must be played.  In this round, only the BASIC set is required.  Generally, given the distances between players we recommend JCloisterZone 3.4.2 (see below).  If you wish to meet in person to play you're welcome to do so.  If you wish to arrange an iPhone/Android game, you're also welcome to do so.  If you wish to play by email/forum...which is very slow...you're welcome to do so.  In our experience, JCloisterZone is the most widely supported medium.

If you are not familiar with JCZ - You can download it here:
 http://jcloisterzone.com/en/

This is currently the recommended version which runs on Java which will run on Windows/Mac/Linux.
Remember to extract the zip before executing the Runtime.

If you have any problems please contact us in the Chatroom (see below), we can help.  :(y)

Before your Game - Meet in the chatroom
It's generally a good idea to try and meet in the CarcassonneCentral Chatroom before your game is meant to begin:  http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html

When your partner arrives, one of you will have to HOST the game.  Hosting the game means your machine running JCZ will manage the game and the other player  must connect to your machine from their location.  This usually means they have to traverse the firewall on your home's router.  If this is all sounding alien to you, don't be scared, visit us in the chatroom, we can try and help you.

If neither party can host a game - I or Danisthirty (plus others) will happily host your game.  Which means both players will connect to another person's machine to play their game.

If your player does not turn up, please give them a few minutes grace.  If they have not arrived 15-minutes after your start time, please comment here and we'll try to work out what happened.  It does not mean you will automatically win the game.  There are many reasonable circumstances, why you may miss your game and we'll need to assess.

Setting Up the Game
Once you've connected to the game, the following Settings must be applied to JCZ.  No Expansions,  Randomize Seating Order[ x ]

Now onto the Tournament:

Given there are 9 players this time, the first round will consist of 3 groups of 3 players.
Each player must play every other player in a head to head: 1v1 game.
The First Round will be Base Game Only, (so no expansions).

So when it is time to play: make sure only the basegame is selected - make sure the player order is Random.

The groups will be:

GroupA
JoeSesquipedalian
SettlersOfMon
Skane
< Space Available>

GroupB
Adrornalin
daromar
What If?
StartPlayer

GroupC
daliles
Olya
Clownfeet
< Space Available>

As I said before:  The key to scheduling games is communication.  No one will organize your games for you - that's your job - but be mindful people are in different timezones and have different life priorities.   Hopefully you can work together.  I would ask that you include me in any communications, so it's clear if a player is not responding.  I would also appreciate it if you could let us know if you're on holiday, so everyone knows.  There's no immediate rush to play games; but communication is important.

After Your Game
You must record the results.  The best way to do this is, take a screenshot/printscreen and attach the picture to a reply on this forum thread.
This lets me check the scores and shows everyone else your game.

Once your score has been recorded, I will be able to update the Results Sheet.

Anything else?
I've probably forgotten something.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:52:22 AM by Decar »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
grin
Welcome Tournament

Started by Decar

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 09:24:51 AM
by Decar
xx
A Welcome Tournament for New Members

Started by Decar

312 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 08:07:02 AM