Author Topic: Need a link to the original Families expansion  (Read 1219 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Need a link to the original Families expansion
« on: July 17, 2023, 02:54:20 PM »
A recent post started talking about the “Unending Family Feud” and included the latest update on the “30 tiles” C2 version for the Family Feud.

Further research has led me to a C1 2017 image of the “Families” expansion which only includes “12 tiles".

I remember reading somewhere that the original concept for the Families started much earlier and that the third C1 version of the original tiles was released in 2005.

Can anyone help me with a link to any of the original fan-expansion posts for the rules and/or tiles that existed in 2005 or before?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6414.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a link to the original Families expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 04:42:42 PM »
Have a look on BGG. That’s where the v3 version can be found. I was sure I included a link on the previous thread. You can find links on the Expansion Selector on WICA - display all the expansions then use the browser search for “Family” or “Families”.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 04:11:14 AM »
I was able to uncover another 2013 post for JPutt927's "Family Feud"
https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=321.msg2718#msg2718

It includes links to 21 Family Crest tiles and 6 non-crest tiles from 4 different Families! With some interesting rules on who owns a city when multiples families are in the same city.

BUT, I’m still not sure if these are the original Families tiles?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 06:29:59 AM »
Well link describe different expansion rules.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 07:38:10 AM »
BUT, I’m still not sure if these are the original Families tiles?

My understanding is that the oldest available version of rules and tiles for the Families/Family Feud series is the one on BGG :-

Families v3

Did you have a look at that one? There must have been earlier versions - as far as I know they are no longer available anywhere, but the v3 rules mentions the addition of 12 extra tiles in v2. So I don't know what the original tiles were in v1 of Families!

After that, several Family Feud versions were released, the first by Novelty and Frédérick Renaud (I think it can be found on CarcF), and then it was expanded by JPutt927 to include the 2 extra families (the one you found, and mentioned above).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:47:45 AM by wolnic »

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »
Thanks wolnic, the V3 link makes a lot of sense.  It includes 6 downloadable tile JPGs with 6 tiles each, 36 total tiles.  The bottom of the expansion rules state that 12 new tiles were added in version 2, and the first 24 tiles include exactly 13 Red/Yellow crests, 10 for the Basic Game and 3 for Inns and Cathedrals. 

This matches all the information that I was able to uncover about the Family Feud between the Blue/White and Red/Yellow family crests.

And the JPutt927 Family Feud is also interesting.  Those tiles include 4 different family crests that seem to be friendly with each other, but score differently depending on which family has the most crests in a completed city.

It also includes a 5th family crest that is not mentioned in the rules.

Our group is definitely going to have a lot of house discussions and eventual rules about the Families!

Online Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 01:02:43 PM »
I've been playing lately with the conversion to C2 of Family Feud... We love this expansion and it helps players to build a lot of cities. As a side effect, fields tend to be very small among so many cities. In order to compensate this, I would suggest to include another expansion with a lot of roads and fields... Wells or The Big Highwayman could be great options.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 08:17:14 AM »
I've been playing lately with the conversion to C2 of Family Feud... We love this expansion and it helps players to build a lot of cities. As a side effect, fields tend to be very small among so many cities. In order to compensate this, I would suggest to include another expansion with a lot of roads and fields... Wells or The Big Highwayman could be great options.
Yes. this is same as The City Gates or Traders and Builders. A lot of cities and tiny farms

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 11:28:36 AM »
Yes, it seems that most of the Carcassonne expansions lean toward the cities.

Looking for roads and fields: the original Wells fan-expansion was 10 tiles (40 edges) with only 3 city edges.  Then it was expanded to 15 tiles with 8 city edges.

And the original 8 Flying Machine Tiles mini-expansion had no city edges, until the fan-expansion added 8 more Fliers, all on City Tiles!

Even both the Halflings I and Halflings II tiles have 8 of the 12 tiles with cities!

And just for a total Geek Speak!  the 72 Basic Game tile edges are: 79 city, 119 field, 90 road
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 02:49:47 PM by PapaGeek »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 07:32:35 AM »

And the original 8 Flying Machine Tiles mini-expansion had no city edges, until the fan-expansion added 8 more Fliers, all on City Tiles!

This was the maim idea of The Flying Machines 2. To add cities to tiles with flying machine hill and to give more chances to player to jump with flying machine to the large interesting cities.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
LEGO Carcassonne Link

Started by Paul

26 Replies
Last post July 25, 2019, 02:10:50 AM
by Paul
xx
WTB: Original Artwork "Expansion 6: Count, King & Robber"

Started by chris6507

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 08:31:10 PM
by chris6507
xx
Need GQ#11 WITHOUT Carc. Expansion

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 07:14:09 AM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)
exclamation
Why endless expansions? Playing the Original - An opinion

Started by t2k

18 Replies
Last post March 29, 2021, 11:35:48 AM
by Meepledrone
question
Where to find decent resolution images of original tilesets? (Base game and exp)

Started by GPWR

15 Replies
Last post March 11, 2023, 05:42:01 PM
by Scott