Author Topic: Wroclove Mega Carcassonne vol. 1  (Read 5648 times)

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
Wroclove Mega Carcassonne vol. 1
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:53:52 AM »
Previous weekend I organised a little mega Carcassonne event. More as a training of facebook events. Unfortunately I have set up the time when game for third place in Russia took place, so we played with three players instead of expected 8.

I have used
2 x river
2 x base set
2 x trader & builders
2 x hills & ships
1 x princess and the dragon

around 280 tiles all together

First player ended up with 390, second 303 and I was last with 292. Notice that I have used custom scoring board printed on foamcore.

Dragon had no big impact on the game as all players were very careful with his movement. It did not affect any crucial areas.

Dragon entered a nice city once it was already empty. Sorry Kettlefish, I know how you like to feed the dragon.

I had a nice cooperation for above city with blue player. We were close to finish once he joined the meeple on the hill to this city (bottom right tile). At this point it was me or him. I have executed swift attack from the left flank. At one point there was only one tile missing, unfortunately blue player drew this nasty city tile with hole inside, Cutting off my smaller part of the city.

Blue player managed to finish this weird city. Of course last two tiles in one go, thanks to the builder. Smaller city to the left was also finished with last tile of the blue player.

My conclusion from this game is that in Mega Carcassonne most of the standard tactics do not work. Opponents easily overcome all my attempts on blocking with weird expansion tiles. The best strategy for mega Carcassonne is just "carpe diem". Just get as much points as possible without thinking much about other players. Getting into food fight usually mean that you just waste your tiles while your opponents race the score track one bite at a time.

With so many tiles there is plenty of attractive fields for everybody.

For sure I will organise something like that again, hope to collect 8 players next time.

end map

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4018.0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:02:31 AM by Maj. Frost »

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
Re: Wroclove Mega Carcassonne vol. 1
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 02:28:16 AM »
Very nice !  :(y) I too am planing to try out Mega-Carcassonne someday. I just have to ask... where did you get those tile sleeves, or did you make them ? :black1-meeple:

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:07 AM »
Very nice !

Thank you!
I have written about those sleeves on my humble blog :) I get this question very often.

http://www.carcassonne360.com/2017/02/carcassonne-accessories-swan-panasia.html

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
Thanks for explanation  :) I was aware of the existence of carcassonne sleeves, but I have only seen very crappy ones so far. These I might consider  :black1-meeple:

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • To get them all and play them all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Hi,

It's really nice to know that we are not the only ones in Wrocław who play MEGA :)
The rule is that we play MEGA every time a new expansion comes up (even small one). We also try to play MEGA as often as we can but while it takes 5 - 8 hours (for us it's more like a trip to somewhere so longer is better) it's not that easy to arrange the game. We play one base game and all expansions that are officially released (last one after The Fruit-Bearing Trees). Plan is to add all fan expansion but it's a melody of the future..

We start on one table, but recently it's not enough :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »
Wonderful reports - Thanks a lot for sharing!

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:02:41 AM »
It's really nice to know that we are not the only ones in Wrocław who play MEGA :)

I'll be posting on facebook group "Gry planszowe Wrocław - umawianie się na granie" next time I set up such meeting if you are interested. Probably second week of August.

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »

I'll be posting on facebook group "Gry planszowe Wrocław - umawianie się na granie" next time I set up such meeting if you are interested. Probably second week of August.

Great!! I don't know how it will be in August but for sure we are interested :)

...and as you mentioned the dragon and his role in bigger games... from my - Mega Carcassonne player - opinion, in a big games he looks more like a fly in a huge room than like a reptile eating flesh & bones of meeples. As I remember, there is only one additional volcano in official expansions (the River II which is nice when he appears at the very beginning of the game) but no additional tiles that triggers his movement. That's why, when I comment on new fan expansions, I suggest that there should be a little bit of everything (also gardens, towers.. maybe circuses).

Ok. I understand that is hard sometimes to put everything on just 12 tiles and what for if it's not made for Mega games. Clear.
..but :) it's obvious that you don't need use all the features (rules) that are on a tile if you don't want to (like playing the River II whiteout the dragon expansion), but if they are already there, you just can.

As I don't like to double expansions in Mega Carcassonne it will be hard for me for a while. I did't check the rules of Green and Black dragon fan expansions which could be helpful (more dragonsssss... :) ) but as I know they are not in new art yet (if ever). Not that it's some kind of big deal but the dragon is such a unique expansion in the Carcassonne Universe that he just needs to fly all the time :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:32:14 PM by Piasekstc »

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 06:25:10 AM »
Green Dragon - that fan expansion contains 60 forest tiles including 3 with volcano and 3 with dragon symbols (plus 3 with princess and magic portals for full compatibility with Princess and Dragon expansion). I could quickly knock up those 6-12 tiles, if you'd like, and you can just treat the woodland areas as standalone field dividers, if not using any of the other forest tiles/rules. It doesn't introduce a green dragon!

Black Dragon - I'm still trying to track down ...

Dual Dragon - introduces a white dragon, and whoever pulls the volcano/dragon tile can choose whether to move it, or the standard dragon.

Perky Dragons and Taverns - adds some more dragon/volcano tiles

Dragon's Lair - this is a tie in with the Mountains expansion, and is again a few tiles with volcano/dragon/portal features on them

I've made up a few tiles for use with The Coast feature with volcano (island) and dragon (promontory) which could be used to add a few more chances of dragon(s) appearing.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »
Green Dragon - that fan expansion contains 60 forest tiles including 3 with volcano and 3 with dragon symbols (plus 3 with princess and magic portals for full compatibility with Princess and Dragon expansion). I could quickly knock up those 6-12 tiles, if you'd like, and you can just treat the woodland areas as standalone field dividers, if not using any of the other forest tiles/rules. It doesn't introduce a green dragon

Thanks wolnic :) For the list of expansions and for your offer about Green Dragon tiles. I'm preparing to print The Woodcutters so that could work together. I don't want to interrupt your schedule of new or converted expansions. (in CII of course :) ). My intension was just to show how diversity of tiles is important for bigger or Mega Carcassonne games. I know that there are tons of different kind of expansions but not in new art...that's why it's tempting to ask you for that favor :)     

I remember that Black Dragon expansion crossed my eyes somewhere when I was checking all the fan expansions at the beginning of my existence at the CC. I'll try to find it again.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 02:33:13 AM »
I've also found a different White Dragon expansion (for CarcI) on the Carcassonne Forum site. This introduces a set of 6 volcano and 12 dragon tiles with a white dragon icon, and my assumption is that if you draw one of those tiles you place/move the white dragon, rather than the normal one. Before converting that to CarcII format we'd have to check with the original designer if they had any reservations.

Alternatively, it would be easy enough to create a set of tiles with a different coloured dragon (easy in Photoshop) - such as blue, green, bronze or gold - and release as a new expansion (see attachment)

Although I usually put a handful of the forest tiles in the bag (usually some of the ones with roads/inns/cloisters) we don't play with the forest/woodcutter rules, just use them as landscape features, and house rule it that you can place a field tile edge next to a piece of woodland edge.

For various reasons I've not been doing much in the way of tile re-working over the last few weeks, so it might give me something different to work on.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »
Thanks wolnic :) For the list of expansions and for your offer about Green Dragon tiles ...  that's why it's tempting to ask you for that favor :)     

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss either the Green Dragon tiles, or a possible second set of Dragon tiles, in CarcII format.

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »
Quick question to wolnic.
Did you receive a PM from me?
I'm asking because I feel like I'm blocked or something and I don't know if it's a system or nobody wants to text with me ;) 

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
PMs received OK - have responded by PM

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Mega Carcassonne

Started by hexanauta

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2016, 04:12:34 AM
by hexanauta
xx
Mega Carcassonne Tile Balancing

Started by Christopher

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 02:24:54 AM
by Christopher
xx
Mega Carcassonne: Double your pleasure and Meeples?

Started by Meles

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 07:50:01 AM
by SailingMeeple
clip
Mega Carcassonne

Started by PgMaster

17 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 08:24:11 PM
by PgMaster
xx
Turbo Mega Carcassonne Run