Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 68444 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
Ooooh if you never played Lanterns before I think you'll really enjoy it. I had it and the expansion I definitely enjoy both!

Our second play was much like my first -  Ultimately, I can't understand how given only ~half the tiles in the deck you have any idea what colours as worth investing in.  If a player is lucky, what stops them holding a monopoly of a colour and only buying thing in the last round?  Mechanically, it's nice and pleasant, but I think we're looking for a little more strategy in our games.  I've not tried the expansion, so hope that helps somehow!

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
Our second play was much like my first -  Ultimately, I can't understand how given only ~half the tiles in the deck you have any idea what colours as worth investing in.  If a player is lucky, what stops them holding a monopoly of a colour and only buying thing in the last round?  Mechanically, it's nice and pleasant, but I think we're looking for a little more strategy in our games.  I've not tried the expansion, so hope that helps somehow!

Remember that you can only make ONE dedication per turn. Yes someone could get lucky and gain a monopoly of a particular color early on but having such a monopoly doesn't do much for anyone. Yes it means, if they want to hold that majority as long as they can, then nobody can make a 7 unique dedication. Also don't forget that there is a hand limit of 12 so in a 2 player game if they gain a monopoly of a given color and don't intend to use that color then that effectively drops their hand limit down 7. Rule is if you start a round with more than 12 cards you have to make a dedication or discard down to 12. Knowing this you might try forcing your opponent to hold as many different colors as they can to limit their options. Also think about it, if your opponent is actively going for a monopoly of a color then that is turns that they may not be getting cards of other colors to build towards a 3 pairs dedication or a 4 of a kind dedication. Use your opposing turns to get these kinds of dedications before they do and ultimately you should be able to stay ahead of them.

I haven't played dozens of games of this but I've played enough to know that there is less luck and more strategy than you initially think there is.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:58 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond DaFees, I had interpreted the rules correctly; though you've not convinced me!
There still only exists 3-'strategies':
i) Don't dedicate a token unless you think you're opponent can buy it.
ii)Play your tiles to limit the number of colours your opponent will get.
iii) Avoid playing corners, in case your opponent gets a 2-or-3 match.

Anything else is based on pure chance, you have no idea what tiles remain in the deck and no way of predicting where the best place to lay your tile is. Is it worth going for  pairs or doubles? Who knows?  What is worth investing in?  Can I play a move to prevent a colour (which I don't know exists) appearing?

You might as well do away with the tiles, roll a die based on the value randomly pull a number of coloured tokens from a bag, then give one to your opponent.  Make sure there's a random unknown amount of colours in the bag before you start.  You can arbitrarily distribute swapping token, perhaps rolling a 6, followed by a 4+.  Try it, it'll play the same!

Don't get me wrong, this can be a fun to play, but I find the tile-laying a disappointing way of randomly distributing colours you apply to set collection to.  It almost feels like the game was designed backwards based on some nice looking tiles; even the purchasing of dedications at the start of your turn to prevent any snap-buys is a cheap balancing exercise.

For set-collection I think Potion Explosion does this better and plays quite a bit faster!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
Today BGG announced a new tile-laying game to be released at Essen that I am pretty excited about because it seems right up my alley in gameplay and theme. It's called Azul (Spanish/Portuguese for blue) and is about laying typical Portuguese tiles, called azuleijos, at the King's palace in Evora. A tile-laying game about laying tiles!! Why didn't I think of that?! There aren't any images available yet but it's from Plan B games so I have high hopes for the artwork after their first release, Century: Spice Road, which is on my wishlist.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:46:28 PM by jungleboy »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:24 PM »
Today BGG announced a new tile-laying game to be released at Essen that I am pretty excited about because it seems right up my alley in gameplay and theme. It's called Azul (Spanish/Portuguese for blue) and is about laying typical Portuguese tiles, called azuleijos, at the King's palace in Evora. A tile-laying game about laying tiles!! Why didn't I think of that?! There aren't any images available yet but it's from Plan B games so I have high hopes for the artwork after their first release, Century: Spice Road, which is on my wishlist.

Yaay! More tiles! Hope they are the same size as the Carcs. :D
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »

That looks really interesting. Here is another Tile Laying game that has recently been announced: - Okanagan: Valley of the Lakes

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230089/okanagan-valley-lakes

The designer clearly states that Carcassonne and Walnut Grove were direct inspirations.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1802770/guess-which-games-inspired-author

I own but haven't played Walnut Grove  :( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103185/walnut-grove

I'm also a bit biased because of the Okanagan location. It is a very temperate area of Canada that grows load of Cherries, Peaches, Apricots Nectarines and many ground crops. I just got back this Monday from my 20th anniversary of farm and Orchard visits for the retail stores I purchase for. it is one of my favourite areas in a Canada and a likely retirement move for my wife and I.

The game itself looks simple enough and seems to have a feel of Carcassonne: Gold Rush, (it's set in local pioneer days). I probably would have preferred a more modern setting but that's ok. I'm hoping it's not too simple or too gateway or that expansions would be added to keep the interest in the game. I'll keep an eye but anyone going to Essen might see more before I do. That is the planned launch.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:17:25 PM by franks »
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
For those Karuba Fans out there there looks like a Card Game Version of it arriving in Essen this year:

https://www.haba.de/en_US/toys/e/1uym2

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
Dragon Dodge is a nice little tile-laying game that I backed on KS earlier in the year and just got this week. I played it tonight with junglegirl and we enjoyed it.

In Dragon Dodge (2-4p), players compete in two teams with each team controlling two wizards. The team that has both its wizards 'tagged' (eaten!) by the dragons loses. The tiles are laid out in a set configuration at the beginning of the game (although you can create your own configuration if you like) and players play element cards to move their own wizards or move the dragons, or spell cards to manipulate the tiles (rotating, moving, replacing).

The components are nice (the wizard and dragon meeples were upgraded from this picture), the box is small, the rules are simple - in short, it's a nice little game to play as one or two couples.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Omiga

OK, considering the thickness, these are rather cards, but this is a quite hilarious abstract speed game. You have to either get behind your opponents tiles or to the edge of the table facing him. Since it is a speed game, tiles are not placed in turns, but as fast as you can. You normally have a hand of three, of which you can any amount either discard or place, as long as the placement rules are obeyed of course. But you have to discard all remaining cards in your hand to draw three new ones.

The placement rules require you to match the colour dots horizontally and shapes vertically, like shown on the picture. You are further not allowed to continue your track away from the opponent. (Otherwise it would be too easy to win by reaching the edge of the table.)

Games are really fast paced and hectic, and in some way this reminds me of the light cycle duels from Tron.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:33:36 PM by Hounk »

Offline mPony

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • Greetings from Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I haven't seen this one mentioned in a while, so it may not get enough love.  We love Glen More!  Choosing and laying tiles to get resources to buy later tiles to place meeples to place later tiles to sell resources.  What's not to love?  Brilliant game.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2020, 07:41:55 AM »
I just saw a review of Tang Garden.  It looks AMAZING.  I am really upset I missed the kickstarter for it.   Has anyone played it?   https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252153/tang-garden

I also can't wait to get my hands on Minigolf Designer.  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/298562/minigolf-designer

Offline robert44444uk

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2020, 06:08:05 AM »
Marram is a new game (2020) that mirrors some Carcassonne mechanics, but takes things further - reversible tiles, opponents tile visible, lay 2 out of 3 tiles etc. It is not yet out in physical form, but it can be played on Board Game Arena 

https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=marram

A detailed review of the game is available at BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2439048/complex-game-belongs-board-game-universe-its-own-r

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:09:52 AM by robert44444uk »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
Marram is a new game (2020) that mirrors some Carcassonne mechanics, but takes things further - reversible tiles, opponents tile visible, lay 2 out of 3 tiles etc. It is not yet out in physical form, but it can be played on Board Game Arena 

https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=marram

A detailed review of the game is available at BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2439048/complex-game-belongs-board-game-universe-its-own-r

An interesting idea. Chain reaction mechanics sort of. If you can finish a segment and score with the meeple you place from your bank you get to do another turn (repeatable). Has this been tried?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »
Popped into a random secondhand and found this tile laying game for 30 SEK (roughly 3 Euro). Perfect condition but missing one thing, Swedish rules. I suppose Norwegian will suffice. Or the internet.  :yellow-meeple:

Offline fbinstant

• Labourer
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2022, 07:51:12 AM »
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/336929/land-vs-sea

Upon surfing Facebook, I saw a second-hand Land vs Sea with the description: Hexagonal Carcassonne.

This description made me watch the gameplay on YouTube. This board game seems interesting.

Also, there is a video comparing Carcassonne with Land vs Sea.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 06:20:33 AM by fbinstant »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games