Author Topic: New & Old Games on a Family Trip to Hong Kong & Taiwan  (Read 586 times)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
New & Old Games on a Family Trip to Hong Kong & Taiwan
« on: January 10, 2024, 03:20:49 PM »
We flew non-stop from JFK in New York to Hong Kong.  What better way to wait for departure than playing mini games of Carcassonne?

In Hong Kong, we visited a tiny shop that still makes hand-carved Mahjong sets:

I passed on the beautiful hand-made mahjong set and instead bought a set of Chinese dominos, and then googled the rules for Tien Gow.  The dominos are cool, but my family didn’t love that particular game, so we didn’t play much.

Next we flew to Kaohsiung in southern Taiwan, where we found a Mahjong parlor, with automated tables to shuffle and deal the tiles!  Everyone won one hand except me!

The next day, we went to see the “Purple Butterflies” of Maolin.  By the time we reached the pagoda at the top of the hill, we had not seen any butterflies, so we decided to play a quick game of TinderBlox (using my modified rules  >:D), which we really have been enjoying as a travel game.  Happily, on the way down, we did encounter the lovely butterflies!

Next we played Spades on the train to Hualien:

After a long day of walking trails in Taroko Gorge, what better way to relax than playing Sichuan style mahjong (inspired by watching some games in a local night market in Kaohsiung) and Bananagrams:

Finally, we made our way to Taipei, where serendipity sent us the gaming highlight of the trip!  We  saw two locals playing Banqi in the Jade market.  They showed us the ranking of the pieces and then we used google to figure out the rest:

We were lucky enough to find a Chinese chess (Xiangqi) set in a small shop near NCCU, including a paper board for easy storage, so we started learning and playing this wonderful game of Banqi.  It is sort of like chaotic random Stratego that gradually morphs into chess!

If anyone wants to try it out, you can get the “Chinese Dark Chess King” app.  You’ll have to invest a bit in learning the pieces: note that equal ranks have different symbols in black and red, just to make life more interesting!  During the flight home, I was able to practice enough to beat the “Easy” computer, but still was losing on the “Medium” setting.  But this game is super fun—I highly recommend it as a quick 2-player game with a great mix of luck and skill.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6568.0

Offline Ker42

• Count
  • Merit: 47
    • View Profile
Re: New & Old Games on a Family Trip to Hong Kong & Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:11:54 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip!  Any pictures to share??
It's all fun and games...until the Mirror Zone comes out.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:09 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip!
Yes, it was a lot of fun.  I also learned a lot.  My son speaks Mandarin, so we were able to go well off the beaten path.

Any pictures to share??
Well, I embedded a bunch of images using the method that I have always used on CC, which is to link to google drive.  But as I go back thru my posts, it seems like most of those images are now gone!  On my iPhone, if I reload the page, a random assortment of my images usually loads.  But never everything.   :-\

I googled a bit and others seem to have had the same problem, but I haven’t found any solution.

If you’re really keen on seeing the photos, here is a link to the folder on google drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AYhA3lRT_RawYCBR1lKxP0it35Vx9zGO

Happy new year!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 07:56:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing news of your trip!

I've been after something from Hong Kong for a while now, I wish I knew you were going, not that I'd have wanted to disrupt your trip.  That shop looks amazing!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Help from Hong Kong

Started by Decar

0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2022, 02:13:25 AM
by Decar
xx
Family Game in Oban!

Started by kothmann

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2022, 08:39:22 AM