Carc Central Community > Official Rules

The Goldminers: Gold Removal Question

(1/9) > >>

danisthirty:
Hello all.

I have a somewhat fiddly question regarding The Goldminers and what order gold should be removed from the board if two features are completed at the same time. I’ve done my best to describe the potential situation below but please let me know if it isn’t clear.

I place a tile that completes both a road and a city. The road is shared equally with another player whereas the city is entirely mine. Aside from the tile I’ve just placed, there is one other tile which forms part of both the completed road and the completed city and this has a gold bar on it. An adjacent road tile has another gold bar on it.

Once the road and the city have been scored, I can collect the gold from the two features. My question relates to which feature (the road or the city) should have its gold removed first in light of the following:

If I were to take the gold for the city first then I would take two gold bars i.e. one bar for the city followed by one bar the road. The player I shared the road with would have been entitled to a bar but there wouldn’t have been any left to share with him as I took the gold for the city first so there was only one bar left on the road (which I then took).

If I were to take the gold for the road first then I would take one gold bar and the player I share the road with would take the other. When I then come to take the gold for the city there would be none left.

Has anybody ever been in this situation (or one similar to it)? If so, how did you resolve it? I would guess that it’s up to the player to decide so in this case I’d take the gold from the city followed by the road in order to get both bits. I wasn’t sure if there was any kind of recommended ruling on this though so wanted to check with anyone else who may have been here before.

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=279.0

BT:
According to the CAR:
"When more than one player has the majority in a finished structure when gold is to be claimed, or when several structures with a claim to gold are completed at the same time, the gold pieces are distributed among those claiming players. Distribution proceeds clockwise, starting with the active player, until all of the corresponding gold pieces have been awarded."

My interpretation is that you would score the city first and then the road, as the scoring for the city doesn't need majority established. If there was a gold piece remaining for the road, then the distribution starts with the active player, but as the gold piece has already been distributed it doesn't matter.

My vote would be that the active player should get all the gold pieces in your scenario.

danisthirty:
Thanks for the response BT.

I've read the CAR quite carefully several times and am familiar with the part you mentioned, but don't quite see that it addresses this question directly. I'm inclined to agree with you though that it should be left to the player to decide which feature they take the gold from first. But if I was the player sharing the road I might disagree as this would mean that I'm missing out on a gold bar!

Fritz_Spinne:
German rules say:

--- Quote ---Ausgehend vom aktiven Spieler nehmen sich alle beteiligten Spieler in
Spielerreihenfolge je ein Goldstück, auf das sie Anrecht haben. Das geht
so lange, bis alle betroffenen Goldstücke genommen wurden.
--- End quote ---

That is: The active player takes one gold he has the right to take, then next player takes one he has the right to take and so on.
If the first player takes the only gold, both players have the right to take, the first player will get all gold.

harvster:
Interesting question that I had to deal with recently as well.  I took a different approach, please let me know what you think.  :-)

My attempt at interpreting this rule (as previously quoted from the CAR) is that the first sentence is only used to determine who is eligible.  The second sentence is then used to determine the means of distribution.  For me the distribution sentence does not specifically state how the number of features a player has determines the number of gold they can take in any one turn.  The number of features is only stated in the eligibility sentence, and seemingly only for the purpose of eligibility.  Also the distribution sentence only states the order that the players must take and says nothing about the order that the features must have their gold allocated.  Nor is the order of completed features addressed in the eligibility sentence, only that a player needs to have a completed feature(s) to be eligible to grab the gold from that completed feature(s).

Does any of that make sense?!  I'm hoping that my attempt at trying to be clear hasn't made things worse!  :-)

So in the given example the active player gets one gold (taken from either feature), while the second player can only take from the road feature.  The smart move by the active player is to take the gold from the road first, leaving the second player with no gold to claim, after which the active player can then take from the city.  In any case, in either interpretation, the second player will miss out!  :-)

Also note - if the city and road were both completed by a tile that finishes the road at the wall of the city then both players are eligible to take any gold that is then placed on that tile (if it has a "gold" icon on it).  In this instance the difference between our two interpretations will result in a different distribution (the active player getting both gold compared to both players getting one gold each).  At the moment it's the only situation I can think of when the results would be different!  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version