Author Topic: New (in progress) Android/iOS/Desktop/Web based game  (Read 1417 times)

Offline bramp

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
New (in progress) Android/iOS/Desktop/Web based game
« on: January 29, 2024, 05:27:51 PM »
Hey folks, first time poster.

I've recently started to create a new Carcassonne game. This is just for fun, and I plan to release it for free on various platforms.

I've attached a screenshot of a quick prototype, and here is a video showing the AI laying tiles quickly.

It's currently using original artwork, and thanks to Farin of JCloisterZone for the definitions for the tiles. That saved me a lot of time)

At a minimum I want to implement the following:

* Works across multiple platforms
* Has online and offline play
* Supports numerous expansions
* Will have bespoke artwork (where instead of fixed tiles, it will be drawn dynamically, the bigger the city the taller the towers, etc).

But I'm toying with extra ideas:
* Free / relaxation play - where you can build a world with any tiles and no scoring
* Achievements - Where you can keep track of "Largest city", "Longest Road", etc
* Supporting Carcassonne Maps

I'm sharing early, to hear any input folks may have. It can range from, "Not enough version of the game", to "It would be cool if you added X".

thanks

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6579.0

Offline Death Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • More tiles, more style!
    • View Profile
Re: New (in progress) Android/iOS/Desktop/Web based game
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:30:43 PM »
Hello,

The design looks great (even if I still prefer the C3 artwork, sorry everyone :D )!

Just a few questions:

-Is it ok with the publisher? I mean, if you make it public, copyright problems can occur, regarding the time you probably invested in it, it would be sad.
I know there are already some online versions of the game (BGA and I think an IOS app, maybe an Android one but I think this one isn't up to date), so making sure it won't cause you any problem would be something good :)

-When you say "a new game of Carcassonne", does it imply new tiles? Can we find all the existing tiles on the app (for example, if I want to play the base game alone, or add official expansions, is it possible?) ?

-Are you planning to add all expansions? If so... I guess the work is massive if they can be played all together, as interactions between expansions are not always easy, but once finished it surely would be a highly welcome app!

-The number on the side (on the tiles): is it an indicator about how many of each tile are left in the supply?
If yes, can this option be enabled / disabled by the players? I think most top players, especially for the base game, love to count tiles on their own, this feature could heavily impact competition in my opinion.

Best regards,

Offline bramp

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 11:38:16 PM »
Hi,

I don't plan to use any copyrighted artwork when I release it. So for now the tiles are really just placeholders to make sure the game is working etc. I don't want to get sued, and I don't want to take money out of the pockets of the awesome publishers of these games.

I would love to add many expansions, and yes how the rules interact may become complex. I already spent some time dealing with river rules, and what to do if you select multiple river sets.

I had the tiles (and remaining counts) on the left. That is really for debug/demo purposes, and most likely won't be there for actual game play. But it could also be optional for those that wanted it.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 12:49:18 PM »
Well. Looks that this will be new adept for implementation of fan expansions!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »
+1 merit @bramp We will need to talk about of your project :)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 12:53:30 PM »
And main question is, where we can test it.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 01:01:24 PM »
So here are main questions:
1. Online game needs a lobby - where can players join game and talk
2. Online game needs a chat
Both of this is missing in JCZ in current version. There is implementation of chat, but it require extra server and special version of JCZ.

We can help you with understanding rules and we have some requests by community for good Carcassonne app.
Mostly all of them are implemented on JCZ but some are missing
1. Dynamic count of tiles of expansions (like I want 3 tiles of this but I don't like this tile, I want to exclude it)
2. Lobby
3. Chat
4. Better support of fan-expansions

Offline Matisek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 18
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 04:00:42 AM »
I approve the idea :(y) :(y) :(y).
I hope @bramp  will make it to the winning end and it will be functional  ;)

Offline bramp

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 09:36:49 AM »
Thanks for the enthusiasm! I will share my progress as I make it.

It's early days, but I'll happily to support fan expansions, and a UI that allows the games / tile counts to be customised.

As for online lobby / chat, they sound like nice features, I'm just worried about the additional burden they will add. (Server costs, monitoring content thats posted, etc). But that's certainly something I'll consider in the future.

Offline Matisek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 18
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 01:04:02 AM »
Thanks for the enthusiasm! I will share my progress as I make it.

It's early days, but I'll happily to support fan expansions, and a UI that allows the games / tile counts to be customised.

As for online lobby / chat, they sound like nice features, I'm just worried about the additional burden they will add. (Server costs, monitoring content thats posted, etc). But that's certainly something I'll consider in the future.

Lobby and chat are things that I miss in the new version of JCZ.  :(

The current JCZ is largely done well. But somehow the improvement and some of the repairs stopped.

Adding a fan extension would be nice.. I have experience with preparing cards through Fancarpedia (I've already created something)

@Bumsakalaka  is also a good programmer. You have to join forces.  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Web-based demo!

Started by Jéré

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 04:34:18 PM
by evmillan
xx
Anyone want to start a game on the FREE Carcassonne web app?

Started by jbsmoove

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 05:13:17 PM
by jbsmoove
xx
History of this web

Started by O.M.S.

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 12:13:42 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Web Links & Resources for Board Games

Started by Bixby

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
by Bixby
xx
Estoril 1942 - A game based on the (beautifull) place where I live.

Started by Chooselife

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 04:12:52 AM
by jungleboy