Poll

Should unoccupied monasteries trigger the Bookbinders quarter bonus?

Yes, the rules does not explicitly state the monastery cannot be unoccupied
No, the rules indicate the bonus is triggered for monasteries occupied by you or other players

Author Topic: Markets of Leipzig - Bookbinders quarter bonus and empty monasteries  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
ML07. For each scoring of a completed monastery (as well for monasteries of other players), each player with a meeple in the Bookbinders quarter will receive 4 bonus points. Does this only apply to occupied completed monasteries or do players also receive the bonus for unoccupied completed monasteries?

Example: Red completes an unoccupied monastery. Does Red receive the Bookbinders quarter bonus for this monastery?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5636.0
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:42:27 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline JohannesD

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Markets of Leipzig - Bookbinders quarter bonus and empty monasteries
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

lmho, since scoring a feature takes place when there is at least one meeple occupying it, unoccupied completed monasteries should not be taken into account. If I remember correctly the only time an unoccupied completed feature is taken into account is in the case of castles.
Johannes

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 11:42:33 PM »
Hmm, maybe I change my vote. I voted for "Yes". But usually in other rules are used words: completed feature, finished feature, score feature.
But. As we know, that "road" network can be expansion only by "villages", votes for "no" decrease usage of Bookbinders quarter.
So I keep my vote for yes.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 01:31:15 PM »
Today, I had a very long talk with Meepledrone about the rules for the Markets of Leipzig.
For the newer members: I did many correction readings for the offical Carcassonne rules in Germany from the publisher HiG.

I have the questions book from Meepledrone - it is a pdf file. The code of the questions are in that document and the questions are from that pdf file.

ML07
Here are my answers about this questions :
Quote from: Meepledrone
For each scoring of a completed monastery (as well for monasteries of other players), each player with a meeple in the Bookbinders quarter will receive 4 bonus points. Does this only apply to occupied completed monasteries or do players also receive the bonus for unoccupied completed monasteries?
A score (for the monastery) takes only place when the monastery is occupied by a player (you or any other player). And than it gives the 4 bonus points from the bookbinders quarter.

Quote from: Meepledrone
Red completes an unoccupied monastery. Does Red receive the Bookbinders quarter bonus for this monastery?
No, there is no score for the monastery itself - when no score for the monastery then there aren't any bonus points.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 01:50:04 PM »
Thanks @Kettlefish for including your answers to this question.

It's been a long and interesting afternoon/evening.  :(y) :(y)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
Thanks @Kettlefish for including your answers to this question.

It's been a long and interesting afternoon/evening.  :(y) :(y)
Yes it was a long day. But I think, the results are very interesting. And I did my vote.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
Thank you for your sensible vote!  ;D

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 02:35:05 PM »
If an unoccupied cloister can trigger the completion of a castle, then I believe it could also trigger the Bookbinder's bonus.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 04:28:48 PM »
The Bookbinders quarter is triggered by the scoring of an occupied monastery (any player will do). When an unoccupied monastery is completed nobody scores its points.

If the completed unoccupied monastery is in a castle fief, it will trigger the scoring of the castle. Note that the castle would score the same points as the monastery is worth, but it does not score the monastery itself.

So, a castle should not trigger the Tanners quater bonus for a monastery in any case. Besides, note that a castle may be scoring points for one out of several features completed in its fief, and the castle's owner may decide to not score points for a completed monastery because there were other features worth more points.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 11:45:57 PM »
If the completed unoccupied monastery is in a castle fief, it will trigger the scoring of the castle. Note that the castle would score the same points as the monastery is worth, but it does not score the monastery itself.

That is clear. If a completed unoccupied monastery is in a castle's fief, the castle owner scores 9 points for the completed castle, eventually increased by additional points for vineyards, etc.

So, a castle should not trigger the Tanners quater bonus for a monastery in any case. Besides, note that a castle may be scoring points for one out of several features completed in its fief, and the castle's owner may decide to not score points for a completed monastery because there were other features worth more points.

That is evident.

The Bookbinders quarter is triggered by the scoring of an occupied monastery (any player will do). When an unoccupied monastery is completed nobody scores its points.
Here I don't agree.

Bookbinders quarter: For each scoring of a completed monastery (as well for monasteries of other players) you get 4 bonus points.

The Bookbinders quarter is triggered by the scoring of a completed monastery. Basegame rules: The player must score any feature completed by tile placement. Scoring of a feature is triggered by the completion of a feature.
A monastery is completed when it is completely surrounded by tiles. During scoring, the monastery is worth 1 point per tile that completes it (including the monastery itself).

My interpretation is that all completed features are scored, but if it is unoccupied (hence nobody has a majority) nobody actually receives points.

That would imply that the Bookbinders quarter is triggered by the completion of any monastery, occupied or not.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 12:11:39 AM »
A scoring for a finished monastery take only place when the monastery is occupied by a meeple (normal meeple, big meeple, wagon, abbot etc.). A monastery can't be scored if there is no meeple onto that feature.
If there is no meeple onto the monastery - no one of all players gets points for the monastery - that means no 4 bonus points for the bookbinders quarter in the City of Leipzig.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 12:21:42 AM by kettlefish »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Markets of Leipzig - Tanners quarter bonus and barns

Started by Meepledrone

1 Replies
Last post December 12, 2021, 02:46:33 AM
by DrMeeple
clip
Markets of Leipzig - Tanners quarter bonus for fields during the game

Started by Meepledrone

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2021, 08:23:06 AM