Author Topic: What is your number 2?  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: What is your number 2?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 02:46:56 AM »
Carcassonne South Seas for me!
That's counted as part of number one.  :D Number two has to come from outside the Carcassonne Series.

A while back I got asked to fill in a survey and detail my top 10 games. I sent 10 Carcassonne games  ;D

But if it has to be outside of the Carcassonne series, then Dominion is a close one. Havent played more than the base game, but like the mechanics and gameplay.
I recently was introduced to Quacks of Quedlinburg (Thanks Rich!), Which I also very like
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 03:24:17 AM »
Catan.  I went collector crazy with it and own all the expansions and extensions for it too, just like Carcassonne.  It doesn't have as many expansions as Carcassonne, but they tend to be more expensive.
I've been looking up everyone's favourites as they are shared and blimey. I had absolutely zero clue how many Catan expansions there were. I knew there was the base game and like 4 or 5 expansions I've seen in the shops. But the Wikipedia page was endless. Really surprised.
Dominion is now the second favourite of 3 people. It's a clear winner so far (not that it's a competition).

ymbuser

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »
Interesting to read about other’s (2nd) favourites!

I recently discovered the asymmetrical card-driven duelling game “Unmatched”. It does not feature a base game, but it is rather a system of games. Each set has a number of miniatures of well known figures from history (such as King Arthur or Achilles), fairy tales (e.g. Little Red Riding Hood) or IPs (Jurassic Park, Marvel Comics and more to come), accompanied by a health dial, sidekicks and a deck of cards tailored to reflect the lore of the hero. You pick 2-4 characters, place them on a battle map and duel using the card deck, which acts as your abilities, until you defeated the opposing (team of) heroes.

What I like about this game is the simplicity in terms of rule overhead, but the immense strategy that it offers when you start to understand how each hero plays at his best, making the game evolve into a mind game between you and your opponent. Each fight will feel different because you need to anticipate the abilities of your opponent while there are so many match-ups possible due to the large roster available. The balance is very great as well, with each character having decent chances to win if played well. And how cool is it, that you can partake in a skirmish between a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Sherlock Holmes and Robin Hood?! Who will win?

Definitely check out the artwork. Each card looks as if it were a movie poster!

Offline wallaceprime

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 53
  • I'm skillful, you're lucky! ;-)
    • View Profile
    • Wallaceprime's photo gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 08:44:11 AM »
A good travel game for the driver of a car: chicken. If I don't post again, you know I lost my last game...

More seriously, I would choose Balderdash. I love the challenge of creating a definition of a word that is so outrageous that the other players think "that can't be the correct definition", but make it just believable enough to tempt them to pick it.
Never too old to learn new tricks

Offline Carcassonne King

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 03:35:50 AM »
It doesn't have as many expansions as Carcassonne, but they tend to be more expensive.
As a former Catan collector myself (I haven't played the game in probably a decade now), I disagree. For every one promo Carcassonne releases, Catan has at least three! It also has nearly as many spin-offs and is quickly catching up on the number of full expansions to the base game it has, although they aren't as cross-compatible as Carcassonne's are. Rivals for Catan alone has two full-sized expansions and at least 10 single-card promos, not counting at least one cut-out promo. Catan also has many more gameplay accessories.
Technically Catan only has four expansions though: Seafarers, Cities & Knights, Traders & Barbarians, and Explorers & Pirates.  It does have a number of scenario extensions of course, but the company doesn't call them expansions.  Also, when I compared the two games, I wasn't including spin-offs and extensions like Das Buch that have been out of print for years, Only Carcassonne 2.0/3.0 stuff vs. 5th edition Catan stuff.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 03:10:25 AM »
I paused when I read this topic title, because No2s have certain connotations over here.

I generally don't rank games against each other, because my mood changes, and player counts change. Some games are great at some things, and rarely do other games meet the same level of passion that Carcassonne flared in me.

If I had to pick another game, I'd probably select Snowdonia at the moment.
Although in terms of collecting stuff... maybe Dominion.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »
Cardcassonne  - Totally different gameplay to any tile variants

If this is still too close (you haven't played it), but I will go for 221b Baker Street
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 03:49:27 PM »
Hmmm, I would likely go with Hansa Teutonica by Andreas Steding for my No2 pick. Though Tokaido could end up taking that slot as well depending on the day.

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 02:00:39 AM »
For me, my #2 is a card-driven tableau / engine building game called Unfair.

Offline Joff

• Authors
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »
Well, you can assume that Carc is my number 1 and I'm glad it's just an assumption. It's a good game, sure, but nowhere near the top spot. To be fair, I haven't played the game in years and my go-to Carc game would be Ark of the Covenant anyway (it's the best vanilla version out there). So, assuming that Carc is my number 1, what is my number 2 (and 3 for good measure).
Currently, my number 2 would be Railways of the World, and my number 3 is Wingspan.
That said, my favourites are always in a state of flux and change fairly frequently, like many of us I assume ;)

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 01:25:25 PM »
The game that my wife and I play most often, after Carcassonne, is Acquire (link to entry on BGG).
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 05:33:30 PM »
Good question. I seem to remember Decar ran a series of polls many years ago to discover what *other* games Carcassonne fans like alongside Carcassonne, and it was a real mixed bag.

I tend to quite enjoy simple games as you can teach them quickly and then get into playing them, rather than keep going over the rules (which is definitely me whenever anyone is teaching me a new game {or even reminding me how to play one I've already played before}). Most-played games at the moment (besides Carcassonne) include Bandido (played mostly on BGA with friends), Tsuro (played mostly via iOS app against AI) and 7 Wonders (played mostly via Android app against AI). I've also recently discovered Draftosaurus which is a great little game that I've been playing mostly via BGA with friends.

If I had to choose one to be my official second-favourite game though, it would probably be Draftosaurus at the moment. It does change from week to week though, and I reserve the right to have chosen something completely different by tomorrow morning ;)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 07:09:12 AM »
Well, you can assume that Carc is my number 1 and I'm glad it's just an assumption. It's a good game, sure, but nowhere near the top spot. To be fair, I haven't played the game in years and my go-to Carc game would be Ark of the Covenant anyway (it's the best vanilla version out there). So, assuming that Carc is my number 1, what is my number 2 (and 3 for good measure).
Currently, my number 2 would be Railways of the World, and my number 3 is Wingspan.
That said, my favourites are always in a state of flux and change fairly frequently, like many of us I assume ;)

Hi Joff!

Any plans to reconnect with Carcassonne? Any new fan expansions? >:D

Cheers!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »
My favourite game is Tzolk'in.
Another that ranks highly for me that someone already mentioned is Hansa Teutonica. I also really enjoy Concordia, Troyes and Santorini.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:43:03 PM by cicerunner »

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 11:30:52 PM »
Our stable number 2 is BANG! A card game set in the Wild West made it to our home some years back when my older son started to play at school, a rather encouraging thing in the age of mobile phone gaming. When my younger son now packed for a school trip, he also took the cards as he plays as well with his classmates.
While by far not that complex as Carcassonne world, BANG! also offered several expansions as time passed. The game is popular in our region and the author Emiliano Sciarra even invited Czech and Slovak players to contribute to one of the expansions. Based exclusively on their submitted proposals, Walley of Shadows was evetually published in 2011, the Czech edition bearing names of card authors in small letters. We gradually collected all 8 expansion packs and also two dice variants as they are good travel options.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Number of knights allowed in a city

Started by Oregonholly

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2023, 02:18:45 AM
by NGC 54
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Pimping your Wood Poll

Started by Decar

23 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 09:45:18 AM
by Decar
xx
Calculating the value of your Carcassonne Collection

Started by asp204

34 Replies
Last post September 14, 2018, 01:48:56 PM
by Willem
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone