Poll

How do you primarily use The Tunnels?

To construct long and elaborate roads across the board.
4 (30.8%)
To by-pass areas that the opponents made difficult to complete.
1 (7.7%)
To block the progress of opponents by never placing a second Tunnel chit.
2 (15.4%)
I use them in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own The Tunnels.
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 12, 2015, 08:20:09 PM

Author Topic: The Tunnels – Element of the Week #39  (Read 7683 times)

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
The Tunnels – Element of the Week #39
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: THE TUNNELS

Each week, a specific element from an expansion is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is THE TUNNELS. Spielbox had not released a custom expansion since The Cathars (The Cult notwithstanding) when this little beauty was released and, like its illustrious predecessor, The Tunnels is now the most difficult and expensive expansion to obtain on the second-hand market. The premise is that a road can enter a tunnel, which is marked with a colored chit, and can later exit from a different tunnel, marked with the same colored chit. Those tunnels may be on the same tile or completely different tiles—there's four to choose from! And just to slightly complicate things, the tunnel tile in Princess & Dragon is also now a "tunnel" because: why not? In other words, the expansion is very basic and straightforward but it does have some interesting traits.

The Tunnels allow players to bypass especially congested areas, which can be quite nice. They also can allow players to extend their roads out of these areas into much more open spaces. This is especially nice if a road is accompanied by an Inn from Inns & Cathedrals. They can also be used offensively by a player placing a tunnel on another player's road but not claiming the tunnel itself OR claiming it with their own chit. This essentially will block that road permanently unless the attacked player places their own chits or the attacking player decides later to place their second chit. In this way, roads can also be stolen by a player connecting to a tunnel and then placing their colored chit, connecting the two roads via the tunnel. Thus, like Cathars and Plague, Spielbox has a produced a deceptively aggressive expansion with The Tunnels. Discuss your relationship with The Tunnels and how you optimise your use of this strategic element.

Next Week: Mage & Witch    :blue-meeple: :black-meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1835.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: The Tunnels – Element of the Week #39
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
Me want at least four copies for my carcArt. Currently do not own a single copy.

It's been reprinted hasn't it? I better heck Where to find it... thread.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
Me want at least four copies for my carcArt. Currently do not own a single copy.

It's been reprinted hasn't it? I better heck Where to find it... thread.  :(y)
It has not been reprinted. Spielbox only released it once and never did so again and Rio Grande was planning to release but lost its contract with Hans im Glück before they had a chance.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
I like the graphics for the tunnel.
I remember that we had many problems with the original rules. Then HiG did some clarifications how to use the tunnels.

I use the tunnels seldom.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:59:42 PM by kettlefish »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
I finally acquired the Tunnels a few months ago and played with them last night as part of an all-new game featuring other first-time elements for both players: the Wheel of Fortune and the Goldmines.

The Tunnels had basically no impact at all though; only two tunnel tokens were placed in the whole game (we had six each). It just seems like the mechanics are too fiddly, the tiles too few and the reward too small to even bother paying much attention to it. The next time we play, we might use some combination of inns, ferries, mage & witch and German castles to boost the value of roads and perhaps make the tunnels more useful in the game.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
I really like the Tunnels! I like anything which makes road more dynamic (ferries in one of my favourite expansions). Being able to move a road to another spot to escape trapping or blocking, another player muscling in or just for more space to build is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think it was terribly implemented. Just four tiles simply isn't enough to have any effect on a game. In games with several players, each player gets just one tunnel, and so you'd just as well not bother. If Tunnels had been part of a large expansion with twelve tiles or so, with players having several tunnel tokens, I think this would be a great expansion, akin to Bridges in its road building. If it weren't so hard to get hold of, I might have got a few copies in order to increase its effect, but given it's rare, Spielbox nature, that seems unlikely. I'd love to see this mechanism implemented again, even in CII. That would sway me!

Favourite is spelt with a 'u!' Darn you Whaleyland, darn you America!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
1) It doesn't appear I wrote either version of that word in this thread; and 2) I write favourite with a 'u'! In fact I have been using British spelling on most things since I studied abroad way back in 2004. Granted I am not 100% consistent, but I try! Where did you find this accidental 'favorite'?

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:10:43 AM »
1) It doesn't appear I wrote either version of that word in this thread; and 2) I write favourite with a 'u'! In fact I have been using British spelling on most things since I studied abroad way back in 2004. Granted I am not 100% consistent, but I try! Where did you find this accidental 'favorite'?

No no! I apologise, Whaleyland, I hadn't spotted you misspelling favourite, but the spellcheck is trying to correct me again and the last time I expressed my feelings towards spellcheck, you were the first to comment, so I thought I'd include you  :P I don't mind how anyone else spells things, I just object to the computer trying to tell me how to write  >:(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
question
The Ferries & The Tunnels – Element Match-Ups #21

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 02:35:32 PM
by Whaleyland
question
The Gingerbread Man – Element of the Week #46