Author Topic: how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?  (Read 20090 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
The King's Gate - A very fun, 2 tile mini-expansion potentially connecting two cities. This one is so fun i printed out a second version with another color of the portal so that we have two separate portals in play.

My wife will be very happy to hear about this.  The King's Gate was her idea, originally called The Wormhole. 

BTW, is Frank Dux your real name or a Van Damme movie reference?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:06:40 PM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile

I grew up on Bloodsport.  8)

Gerry

I bought materials to make lots of tiles, but couldn't get the print quality I was satisfied with.  I stopped after about three dozen.

I go to a local printing shop near my house where they have many printers, among them a laser printer. I really recommend using a laser printer, original tiles and adhesive A4 sheets suitable for laser printing, the results you can see them above in my previous reply. So regarding printing, that's my advice, go somewhere where they have a nice laser printer. (Btw about pricing, here they will charge me like 0,4 euros each A4, a bit expensive but results are worth it)

I found the laser print on a label produces a tile almost as good as the original,  The hardest part is peeling the backing off after you have cut the label up into individual tiles.   Then there is the challenge of lining it up accurately on the card. 

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
I bought materials to make lots of tiles, but couldn't get the print quality I was satisfied with.  I stopped after about three dozen.

I go to a local printing shop near my house where they have many printers, among them a laser printer. I really recommend using a laser printer, original tiles and adhesive A4 sheets suitable for laser printing, the results you can see them above in my previous reply. So regarding printing, that's my advice, go somewhere where they have a nice laser printer. (Btw about pricing, here they will charge me like 0,4 euros each A4, a bit expensive but results are worth it)

I found the laser print on a label produces a tile almost as good as the original,  The hardest part is peeling the backing off after you have cut the label up into individual tiles.   Then there is the challenge of lining it up accurately on the card.

Exactly, that is a big part of the end result. Here some tips:

- I print the tiles at 101%-102% zoom so they are a tiny amount oversized in respect to a tile. For example, tiles are 45x45 mm, so 102% would make the stuff you print 2% bigger, which is around 46x46 mm, that extra mm makes it so much easier to cut the edges properly. Since the sticker will be a bit ovesized (1mm as shown), once stuck you can turn around the tile and with a cutter/exacto knife you can easily cut the small portion that remains outside of the tile. To stick the label, I reccommend aligning the side you think has the less part you want to cut, so the other parts which may not be aligned are those that you will want to cut.
- To peel of the back, this might sound like a strange method but it has worked wonders for me. I just use the exacto knife on the side of the label. Since it's so sharp, it's easy to introduce it in between and peel the backing off. This way you don't need to have big nails or to fold a corner or whatsoever, so the label doesn't get damaged in any way.
- I use a nail cutter to round the edges of the tiles once stuck.
- Last but not least, it's very important you press the borders of the sticker against the tile, so it will get properly attached in its edges.

This are mostly all the tips I can think of, maybe the next batch of tiles I do I'll try recording a video on how I craft them.

Hope this helps for all you carcassonne artisans.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:37:41 AM by mas9dj »
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
I have done many print n plays, and use all of them periodically. I've only printed the ones I intended to use.

Father Time
Stone Walls
Fortune Teller
Gold Mines
The Abbot
Bluffs
Dens & Villages
Detour & Impasse
Drought & Pestilence
Easter Festival
Fences
Grim Reaple
Happy Birthday (Birthday in the Land of Cockaigne)
Labyrinth
Corner House
Order of Chivalry
Perky Dragon
Romans
Stained Glass Windows
Stairs (Upper Carcassonne)
Custom Start Tiles
Stocks & Gallows
Tithe Barns
Troubadors
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
After making tiles as above, I tend to spray them with lacquer to protect them too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:31:37 PM by Andrew the Ambo »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »
I'll admit that I haven't made any fan expansions, not even my own, except By Order of the King. I had a self-made set of Cathars before I got my hands on the real thing. Making tuckboxes is all the arts and crafts that I can handle.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Fan made expansions - I would like to hear more about them

Started by TheSteveAllen

11 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 03:41:49 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Where to people print fan-made tiles? How?

Started by robnhill

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
by SupraLance
xx
Printing user made tiles, what to stick them on

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 06:04:20 PM
by Andrew the Ambo
xx
Are there players here who actually do play with the new edition (CC II)?

Started by Challa007

44 Replies
Last post November 25, 2021, 02:52:56 PM
by KBellon
xx
Do you use the frames or throw them away

Started by devonserden

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2023, 01:38:28 PM
by Meepledrone