Author Topic: How do you prevent custom/fan-made tiles to be recognized as such?  (Read 969 times)

carca82

I'm not a fan of fan-made content but I must admit I'm curious about one thing. While playing user-generated content how do you avoid recognizing such tiles? I tried to do one just out of curiosity and it was impossible not to notice it - by sight or touch - not only in a tower but also in a stack or in a sack.
The same question can of course be applied also to original content, like the "Print and Play" expansions (cutcassonne,m city gates...)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6109.0

Offline Chmura

• Count
  • Merit: 14
  • Create and play!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you prevent custom/fan-made tiles to be recognized as such?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 06:47:37 AM »
I'm convinced it's just a matter of craftsmanship, of the person making the cards! ;)

Offline lr

• Duke
  • Merit: 2
  • Carcassonne player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 07:44:42 AM »
I'm convinced it's just a matter of craftsmanship, of the person making the cards! ;)
Whats is your craftsmanship ?

carca82

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 07:49:32 AM »
Care to elaborate a little bit more?

Offline Chmura

• Count
  • Merit: 14
  • Create and play!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 08:47:08 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to explain it. (Unfortunately, I am writing through a translator.)

-But the photo demonstrates that the cards can be made at home in such a way that no one can tell the difference from the original cards.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »
There are common 2 options:

1. Use tower - then you plus/minus not see design of tiles in bottom of tower which tile is going.
2. Use official blank tiles from cundco.de and print then directly on flatbed printer, or print to paper fan expansion tiles or PnP tiles and use glue and place on top of blank tiles. Here you need some "practice" but result can be amazing.

Pros for tower:
You don't need to be perfect to stick printed material on black tiles
Cons for tower:
In Mega Carcassonne you need multiple towers, because Tower can have only limited count of tiles, but you can buy extra towers on Cundco.de or made own in 3d printer

Pros for 2nd option:
You don't need Tower, because back of tiles is preprinted by HiG and it's look same like official tiles - they are made by same process in factory like official tiles. So you can have multiple stack of tiles on table. Very good for Mega Carcassonne
Cons for 2nd option:

When printed on flatbed printer - result looks like official tiles but it cost a lot (arround just for printing 10 EUR per sheet - 12 tiles)
When printed on paper / sticker paper - you need to praktice, made tiles little bit larger to cover edges, and it costs a lot of tiles. But it costs for printing just 1-2 eur per A4/Letter so you can cover arround 24 tiles.

Good luck.

I'm fan of fan expansions, a lot of them are awesome by game mechanics and fun.

Some of them are not tile based expansions like:
1. Black Tower
2. Black Dragon
3. The Obelisk

So you can start with them.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 10:46:14 AM »
Whats is your craftsmanship ?

This this to your language: https://www.deepl.com/translator#cs/en/%C5%99emesln%C3%A9%20zpracov%C3%A1n%C3%AD

It means, that when you practice, your result can be like by professionals

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 01:13:17 PM »
If you have several homemade expansions, then you don’t necessarily know what you are touching. At my house, you don’t feel around in the bag. You take whatever you touch first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
If you have several homemade expansions, then you don’t necessarily know what you are touching. At my house, you don’t feel around in the bag. You take whatever you touch first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. As we have some "old" tiles, some new tiles, it have different shade of gray. So I see, this is new tile, so it can be this or this expansion. So I changed my approach.
I'm taking one of 8 stack and play always tile from top of this stack. When this stack is gone, I take the closest stack neer to me. And continue this way.

Funny situation was, that I forgot to remove starting tile because we play River I + II + River 20 and I get that tile. And I was not good to me to draw it but I still doit. So I was playing role that I don't know which card is comming ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Looking for decorative fan-made tiles-pack

Started by Liverpoong

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 04:08:50 PM
by wolnic
question
how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?

Started by Gerry

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 06:16:55 PM
by Scott
xx
Fan Made Extra River tiles

Started by GreyMeeple

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2018, 02:20:35 PM
by wolnic
xx
Where to people print fan-made tiles? How?

Started by robnhill

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
by SupraLance
clip
Where can I find such extensions for Carc 2

Started by Realizt

37 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 10:31:18 AM
by Bumsakalaka