Author Topic: Barns and Tanners Quarter  (Read 1200 times)

ymbuser

Barns and Tanners Quarter
« on: December 09, 2021, 02:59:21 PM »
Hello all!

This evening I played the Abbey & Mayor expansion with the Markets of Leipzig “at my own risk” haha. Nevertheless, the proper interpretation regarding the combination of barns with the Tanners Quarter remained vague to us. Has someone at HiG ever bothered to share details with the community?

1. Do barns score the bonus of Tanners Quarter at the end of the game?
2. Do mid-game field scorings via barns apply too?

Looking forward to your reactions. I read some interpretations at WICA, but it seems to me they are just that: interpretations. Maybe a candidate for the MDF poll?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5595.0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:40:42 AM by carcie »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Barns and Tanners Quarter
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
Ha ha ha!

So far we are assuming only fields with farmers receive the Tanners quarter bonus at the end of the game, that is, the same scenario as in the base game: no during the game farm scoring or barns at the end of the game...

This is a recurring open question... Who wants to come with me to pay a visit to HiG in Munich? ;)

MDF can provide a more relaxed approach to the requirements... To be discussed. ;D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 11:05:19 PM »
Who wants to come with me to pay a visit to HiG in Munich? ;)

haha I live in Munich so you are most welcome to stay with me  :) (and of course I will go with you to HiG  ;))

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »
I believe you should march in front of the HQ with banners and signposts:

"WE WAN'T ANSWERS"
"GREEN IS GREEN"
"C3 or C2.2 ???"
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 07:20:37 AM »
EXACTLY  ;D

:black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »
Now it is a great time to demonstrate at their offices and demand both justice and some clarifications! The cold weather or COVID will not stop us!!! :(y) :(y)

Free meeples in batthouses! Free meeples in batthouses! Free meeples in batthouses! :black1-meeple: :green-meeple: :pink-meeple: :blue-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :red-meeple:

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 07:27:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip Meepledrone!
*goes to a bathhouse now to collect my free meeples
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

ymbuser

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 04:37:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I get the ideas presented!

In the game we played a distinction was made between a direct and indirect scoring of farmers with a barn. The idea being: if someone plays a barn, all farmers in that field are scored as if an end-of-game scoring takes place, thus the Tanners Quarter bonus would apply. However, indirect scorings of farmers for fields joined with the barn do not follow the normal rules for end-of-game scoring and therefore do not get the bonus.

In our game barns did score the Tanners Quarter bonus, but thinking about it more extensively, it makes sense it does not apply. A pig, for instance, can never be in a field with a barn, so the barn will never score the +1 bonus. Thus, excluding the barns for the shed bonus as well is just the most consistent thing to do.

Similar thinking: the pig is originally introduced as a tool to increase the value of farmers at the end of the game, but in the Abbey and Mayor ruleset it is explained the pig also applies to both the mid-game direct and indirect scorings of farmers. If we just take the pig as a reference, wouldn't it make most sense if the same holds for the Tanners Quarter bonus? I do think so!

Happy to discuss!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 04:57:39 AM »
The point is if the Tanners quarter bonus should be extended to all field scorings during the game... It all depends on how strictly we should assume the rules:

Final scoring

Tanners quarter: When scoring fields at the end of the game, in addition to the usual points for cities, you get 2 points for each shed (cowshed, pigsty or donkey stable) and each farmhouse in the field if you have the majority there

I assume that barns are out of the question.

ymbuser

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 05:11:54 AM »
Yes, I agree Meepledrone, barns are out of the question (I only shared my stream of thoughts for the sake of argumentation haha).

I just found an interesting piece of digitalized C1 rules for T&B. It says, and I quote: "When scoring farmers at the end of the game, the player earns 5 instead of 4 points for each city he scores that has a pig in the field with his farmer(s)."

The A&M rules corrected this into every scoring of a field with a pig. For me personally, this gives sufficient answers; the Tanners Quarter bonus should be treated accordingly.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 05:38:35 AM »
Yep, he final clarifications in Exp. 5 overrides the field scoring constraints for pigs, for example.

For the time being, we won't get an official clarification about applying the same principle to Markets of Leipzig.

If so, this bonus would apply to fields scored during the game (due to the barn or when receiving a Message #8, for example).

We can agree to this as a Community Rule  ;D

See the following topics discussing Community rules:
* Tanners quarter bonus and field scorings during the game (suggesting the creation of rule)
   https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5597.0
* Tanners quarter bonus and barns (suggesting no applicability to barns)
   https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5598.0

EDIT: Added links to Community Rules topics
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:20:05 AM by Meepledrone »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Markets of Leipzig - Tanners quarter bonus and barns

Started by Meepledrone

1 Replies
Last post December 12, 2021, 02:46:33 AM
by DrMeeple
clip
Markets of Leipzig - Tanners quarter bonus for fields during the game

Started by Meepledrone

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2021, 08:23:06 AM