Author Topic: Translations  (Read 900 times)

Offline SxN

• Duke
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Translations
« on: May 20, 2021, 03:55:02 PM »
I think I need a bit of direction of how this forum feels about translating material from elsewhere. There are several aspects that I have in mind:
- do we need the author's permission? What if the author is unknown or impossible to reach? I'm in favour of doing reasonable attempts to contact the author, but if that fails, the document is in public domain, it just happen to be in a language other than English, so, I'll go for it
- will the translation be formatted to this forum's template, or it should preserve the original form of presentation? I'm in favour of preserving the original presentation
- how about wording? Is it preferred to capture the original idea only, or verbiage too? What I have in mind is points of ambiguity in the original which may be easy to clarify with the 20x20 hindsight, interactions with newer expansions, as well as the turn of phrase, which I find in some rules to be more like a legal contract and less like a set of rules meant for fun and entertainment. I'm in favour of clarifying what was not clear, updating interactions as much as possible, and be precise, but light (I know, the two sometimes do clash)

So, what do you think?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5317.0

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 05:14:35 AM »
The best option, of course, is to contact the author. It is possible that he will provide a translation himself.
If not, I am in favour of translations that are as literal as possible with respect to the original, even if they will contain errors that can be corrected by translators comments. I would leave adding extra rules based on the new expansions solely to the player.

The translation, as the original, will be made available for free, so it should not hurt anyone, on the contrary, because the work will be spread on to a wider audience and its author could be appreciated by that group, otherwise being unknown.

I'm also in favour of preserving the original presentation, however, this is not always possible. Using the CarcC template is not good, so it would be best to use the template that was used to create the original rules, or just leave the unformatted translated text along with the original file.
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
JCloisterZone Translations

Started by Bumsakalaka

25 Replies
Last post March 09, 2023, 02:11:42 AM
by Bumsakalaka