Carc Central Community > Official Rules

The Plague questions.

(1/5) > >>

Drodo:
1- The printed English rules I have say that in every turn, each player *must* move or place a flea chip. But all other translations I've seen say that each player *may* move or place a flea chip. So, is it optional or mandatory to move them?

2- If the highest plague outbreak tile is isolated from the rest of the board, connected only by an inactive outbreak tile, what happens? The rules say that fleas can never be placed on outbreak tiles. The only adjacent tile to the outreak tile is a tile where no fleas can be placed.

3- If there is only one active plague region, and all 18 fleas are active, it says that you must take one of the active fleas and place it elsewhere. Can you take one flea chip from the middle that would disconnect all others from the outbreak tile? Do all of them become inactive? Or, can you only move fleas in a way that all of them remain connected to the outbreak tile?

4- In what phase of a turn must the fleas be moved? At the beginning or any time?

5- Can the game have 3 or more active regions at the same time, if there are fleas in the supply still?

6- Does the fairy protect from the fleas?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4780.0

DIN0:

--- Quote ---The printed English rules I have say that in every turn, each player *must* move or place a flea chip. But all other translations I've seen say that each player *may* move or place a flea chip. So, is it optional or mandatory to move them?
--- End quote ---
You must do it, it is mandatory.

--- Quote ---If the highest plague outbreak tile is isolated from the rest of the board, connected only by an inactive outbreak tile, what happens? The rules say that fleas can never be placed on outbreak tiles. The only adjacent tile to the outreak tile is a tile where no fleas can be placed.
--- End quote ---
I am not sure I understand this question. Situation you describe can never happen as any inactive fleas connected to an active outbreak automatically become active again.

--- Quote ---If there is only one active plague region, and all 18 fleas are active, it says that you must take one of the active fleas and place it elsewhere. Can you take one flea chip from the middle that would disconnect all others from the outbreak tile? Do all of them become inactive? Or, can you only move fleas in a way that all of them remain connected to the outbreak tile?

--- End quote ---
You can move a flea in such a way that a swarm becomes disconnected, yes. However, noly those fleas which are no longer connected to an active outbreak will become inactive.

--- Quote --- In what phase of a turn must the fleas be moved? At the beginning or any time?

--- End quote ---
Any time.

--- Quote ---Can the game have 3 or more active regions at the same time, if there are fleas in the supply still?
--- End quote ---
Yes.

--- Quote ---Does the fairy protect from the fleas?
--- End quote ---
No, but you can always resort to a house rule.

Drodo:

--- Quote from: tp10053 on August 31, 2020, 07:22:24 AM ---
--- Quote ---If the highest plague outbreak tile is isolated from the rest of the board, connected only by an inactive outbreak tile, what happens? The rules say that fleas can never be placed on outbreak tiles. The only adjacent tile to the outreak tile is a tile where no fleas can be placed.
--- End quote ---
I am not sure I understand this question. Situation you describe can never happen as any inactive fleas connected to an active outbreak automatically become active again.

--- End quote ---

I cant post a photo but I mean, imagine Outbreak tile 1 has been inactive for a while somewhere around the edge of the board. Then we are on outbreak 4 and all fleas are already active. Then outbreak 5 tile is drawn and it is placed right next to the old Outbreak 1 tile, in away that outbreak tile 5 is not connected to any tiles except outbreak 1, where no fleas can ever be placed.

Since all fleas were already active when this happens, outbreak tile 4 and all of its fleas become inactive. In the following turns, fleas must be spread from outbreak 5 but there are no available tiles where to put the fleas. What happens then? Cant move any fleas until outbreak 6 is placed? Or a tile next to outbreak 5?

And what if outbreak 6 is also placed next to outbreak 5 only?

DIN0:
Thank you for clarifying, now I understand.
It is a very good question. I guess you would have to wait until a legal tile is placed to spread the Plague.

Meepledrone:

--- Quote from: Drodo on August 31, 2020, 07:50:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: tp10053 on August 31, 2020, 07:22:24 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I cant post a photo but I mean, imagine Outbreak tile 1 has been inactive for a while somewhere around the edge of the board. Then we are on outbreak 4 and all fleas are already active. Then outbreak 5 tile is drawn and it is placed right next to the old Outbreak 1 tile, in away that outbreak tile 5 is not connected to any tiles except outbreak 1, where no fleas can ever be placed.

Since all fleas were already active when this happens, outbreak tile 4 and all of its fleas become inactive. In the following turns, fleas must be spread from outbreak 5 but there are no available tiles where to put the fleas. What happens then? Cant move any fleas until outbreak 6 is placed? Or a tile next to outbreak 5?

And what if outbreak 6 is also placed next to outbreak 5 only?

--- End quote ---

This is correct as per the rules: Outbreak 4 is the only active one in one big plague region with the 18 fleas token on their active side. Outbreak 5 is placed so it is next to the Outbreak 4 tile but not touching any of the flea tokens. This would be similar to the special case in the rules, normally thought for a new outbreak isolated from the previous one. In this case, as soon as you turn the Outbreak 4 token to its inactive side, all the fleas are disconnected from the only active outbreak, so they go to latent state.

If Outbreak 5 would touch any fleas, you may treat this case as the merging of two regions:
* The Outbreak 4 token would be turned over
* Any flea tokens connected to the Outbreak 5 tile would stay active
* Any flea tokens connected to the Outbreak 4 tile but not to the Outbreak 5 tile would be turned to their latent state

Getting back to your questions, if the Outbreak 5 tile is only connected to the now inactive Outbreak 4 tile, no flea tokens can be moved until one or more tile is placed next to the Outbreak 5 tile or, as you mention, the Outbreak 6 tile is placed and there is room next to it to place flea tokens.

Note that if only one tile is placed next to the Outbreak 5, only one flea token could be moved and the plague could not spread for the time being. So the plague would be contained this way temporarily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version