Author Topic: New expansion "The market of Leipzig" is coming in autumn!  (Read 38941 times)

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
Re: New expansion "The market of Leipzig" is coming in autumn!
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:35 AM »
Ok... I try to undertand the rules using google translate... it's impossible...

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 06:22:01 AM »
Despite most people declaring that they would never have anything to do with any new art Carcassonne when it was first unveiled, it seems everyone is falling over themselves to get hold of a copy of this.

I guess I'm included in this criticism? Well for my part it has nothing whatsoever to do with the new art, but rather an interest in potential new gameplay and the physical tile properties, both of which have possible value for me personally and definite relevance to CAR updates. I also bought Under the Big Top, even though I dislike and oppose the game's artwork change. I don't want the new art and won't use it, but that doesn't have to stop me from buying whichever chunks of new gameplay are well designed and/or affordable. There will likely be an approved old-art conversion for UtBT coming in the near future, and I already have the blank tiles I need for that. Also the other day I started a template for my own conversion of Leipzig if the gameplay turns out to be worthwhile.

Of course, this requires tiles of the right size to host my conversion, and since the German Castles are now out of print I would naturally need a more economical alternative than $30 on ebay.

I hope this sheds some light on how it's possible to hate the art change yet still buy some of the new products, while remaining mentally fit (or in my case, at least partially mentally fit).

Anyway, thank you Decar for posting the full rules. I'm off to go translate the remaining pages now so I can find out whether or not the gameplay is even worth the time it took to write this post and start my template.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:39:24 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
It was merely an observation rather than any form of criticism. As far as I'm concerned, people can buy whatever they like, from whoever they like, and pay whatever they like for it. It's none of my business.

Also, while I could be wrong, I don't recall you being a member of CarcC when the new artwork edition first came out so you wouldn't have been at the top of my list if I did want to make it personal...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 06:49:16 AM »

Of course, this requires tiles of the right size to host my conversion, and since the German Castles are now out of print I would naturally need a more economical alternative than $30 on ebay.

Off-topic:
Check Amazon.com and BGG Geekmarket! On Amazon I found them for 20.99 USD (don't know what shipping will be) and on the Geekmarket for between €6 and €12 (also don't know what shipping will be).
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
Despite most people declaring that they would never have anything to do with any new art Carcassonne when it was first unveiled, it seems everyone is falling over themselves to get hold of a copy of this.

I'm not :)

Besides, this poll from early 2016 showed that quite a few people (nearly a quarter of the respondents) said they didn't like the new artwork but would buy exclusive new art expansions when they came out.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
The option that got most responses in that poll was for people who would never have anything to do with it though.

All personal criticism directed at jungleboy from now on.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
The option that got most responses in that poll was for people who would never have anything to do with it though.

Yes but that was my poll and I rigged it so I could vote 32 times.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »
 :P :(y)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Yes but that was my poll and I rigged it so I could vote 32 times.

Winner.

Anyway, here's the translation that Google and I collaborated on:

The Markets of Leipzig

Leipzig's fair tradition dates back to the Middle Ages. At the crossroads of the important trade routes Via Regia and Via Imperii, a settlement of merchants and artisans was established under the protection of a castle. Its first reference was the "place near the Linden" in 1015 as "urbs Lipzi". Around 1165, Otto der Reiche succeeded in keeping the market town of Lipz within the city as well as the market law. Thus, for the first time, the annual markets were protected by the state; competing markets within about a mile around the city were pushed back. Privileges such as those of King Maximilian I of 1497 and 1507 promoted the emergence of the Leipzig trade fairs - the city became an international trade fair.

The Leipziger Messe, whose logo serves here as a watermark, has its origin in these medieval market days.

GAME COMPONENTS
  • 4 double landscape tiles (marked with MM)
GAME PREPARATION

Lay out the landscape tiles so that the four city districts lie together and make the city of Leipzig. In reality, the signpost for Francofortum points to the west, Stettinum to the north, Vratislavia to the east and Roma to the south. For the game, the sequence in which you arrange the quarters is irrelevant. Because of this display, the normal starting tile is no longer needed. If possible, give each player an additional meeple, since they will quickly become scarce in this variant.

GAMEPLAY

The rules for 1. Laying landscape tiles and 2. Using a meeple remain unchanged.

3. By scoring, bring meeples over to Leipzig

From each city district of Leipzig there leads out a road. All the roads which are connected to it offer you the possibility to send a meeple to Leipzig. This also applies to roads that do not lead directly to Leipzig, but which are connected by a road to Leipzig. If you score a road that is so connected to Leipzig and you have the majority, you may choose:
  • You score the road and get the points for it.
OR
  • You send a meeple from the road to Leipzig and abandon the points.

It should be noted:
  • If you have several meeples on a road, you can only send one of them to Leipzig. For the other meeple(s), you may take the points for the road. If you send the meeple to the wagonmaker district you get the bonus points (see below).

• If several players have the majority on a road, everyone can choose independently from the others whether he wants to send his meeple to Leipzig or receive the points.

• During a road scoring, the road on the double tile counts as only one road segment.
You place your meeple on a district of Leipzig of your choice (it does not necessarily have to be the district to which the road leads). He stays there until the end of the game. You can only have 1 meeple in each district. In each district, however, meeples may be left by different players. The meeples are simply stacked on top of each other.

3. Scoring with meeples on Leipziger markets

If you own a meeple in a district of Leipzig, it will give you bonus points for certain scorings.

SCORING DURING THE GAME

Wagonmaker/Cartwright District: During every road scoring
where you have the majority, you get 1 bonus point for each
road tile.
Minter/Coiner District: During every city scoring where you
have a knight in the city (even if you do not have the majority),
you get 3 points for each coat of arms [a.k.a. pennant].
Bookbinder Quarter: During every scoring of any completed
cloister (even one of an opponent) you get 4 bonus points.

The bonus points for these three scorings are available only for roads, cities, and cloisters completed during the game. During the final scoring at the end of the game, no one receives these bonus points.

SCORING AT THE END OF THE GAME

Tanner District: During each farm scoring at the end of the game
in which you have the majority of farmers, in addition to the
normal points for cities, you get 2 points for each stable (cow,
donkey, and pig) and each farmhouse that lies in the farm.

Note: The city of Leipzig also counts as a completed city during farm scoring.

This expansion has been developed for the CARCASSONNE basic game, the rules of which remain unchanged. You can also play "The Markets of Leipzig" with other expansions. But there will be no official rules for this.

Acknowledgments | "The Markets of Leipzig" was created on the occasion of the modell-hobbyspiel 2017 and will be presented there for the first time. We would like to thank the Leipziger Messe for allowing the use of the trade fair logo as an expansion symbol.

Carcassonne AMAZONAS Mini-Expansion

Put the 2 new Amazon double tiles with the previous 4 pieces. If you draw an Amazon tile with »!«, you now have more choices.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:29:08 AM by Just a Bill »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »
The Minter isn't quite clear enough in my opinion:  Do you score an EXTRA 3 points per pennant, if you are the majority holder?

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
The Minter isn't quite clear enough in my opinion:  Do you score an EXTRA 3 points per pennant, if you are the majority holder?

I agree that these rules could have been written better; it's a little confusing that they sometimes just say "points" (Punkte) and other times say "extra points" (Punkte zusätzlich). However, the sense I get here is that you score whatever you would normally score for the city, and then separately from that you get 3 points per pennant even if you aren't otherwise scoring anything (because you may be represented but do not have the majority). So in that sense, if you are a majority-holder then you are technically scoring 5 points per pennant in total — but personally I would never describe it that way due to potential interactions with other score-modifier effects.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
You don't have to worry about those other scoring effects because there are no official rules for those, so you can just argue about it.  :(y)

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Mmmh... it can be intersting...
But now? Can we always consider this expansion compatibile with the old edition? There is the problem of the illutrations of the tiles for the farm scoring...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Well, HiG have solved that problem, by stating it is meant to be played with the base game only. For them the new edition is the normal base game now, so it is not supposed to be played with the old art.

I like that they've made the decorations from the base game relevant for scoring btw!

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
I like that they've made the decorations from the base game relevant for scoring btw!
Me too!  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The market of Leipzig

Started by aenima

1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 08:34:13 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Two questions about the Market of Leipzig

Started by carca82

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2022, 02:32:10 AM