Author Topic: New expansion "The market of Leipzig" is coming in autumn!  (Read 38795 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: New expansion "The market of Leipzig" is coming in autumn!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Can we always consider this expansion compatibile with the old edition? There is the problem of the illutrations of the tiles for the farm scoring...

If I have counted correctly, the C-II base game has 16 tiles depicting a stable or farmhouse. My C-I base game has 6 stables and 7 farmhouses for a total of 13 ... that's about 19% fewer instances, but it seems like it's in the ballpark.

The C-II river adds 2 more, and while the C-I River I has none, the C-I River II has both a stable and a farmhouse (although they are both on the same tile, as part of the pig-herd artwork).

Still, it seems workable to me. And if that's truly too few instances, then you can also count goat-herds as stables and that brings the total for C-I base+R1 to 19, compared to C-II's base+R1 at 18.

I wanted to also compare the large expansions, but it's hard to find complete tile-sheet images for C-II.

I like that they've made the decorations from the base game relevant for scoring btw!

I've suspected for some time now that something like this was coming. Another way to twist the arms of the veteran players and make them feel like they have to re-purchase everything in the new art. :P

Now I'm almost certain those water towers and highwaymen depicted on other tiles are going to become gameplay-relevant as well. And when that happens, the myth of cross-edition compatibility will finally be officially dead.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:20:38 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »
Well, HiG have solved that problem, by stating it is meant to be played with the base game only. For them the new edition is the normal base game now, so it is not supposed to be played with the old art.

Haha, actually it's worse than that because HiG declared that the old art work was compatible with the new version.  Because the pig farms and stables have not been not listed in the Leipzig rules they obviously don't score any points ;D ;D

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2017, 05:05:13 AM »
Haha, actually it's worse than that because HiG declared that the old art work was compatible with the new version.  Because the pig farms and stables have not been not listed in the Leipzig rules they obviously don't score any points ;D ;D

Good point ... so the myth of cross-edition compatibility is already officially dead.

Changing gears here and setting aside compatibility issues, what I'd like to hear is what you all think about the gameplay/elegance of this new promo expansion. Now that I've had time to understand the rules and let them soak in, I'm finding this promo set lacking, and "upside-down" on the pros/cons.

The negatives are (1) more iconography that detracts from the beauty of the landscape, (2) another lazy design where they say "we're not going to bother to figure out how this interacts with expansion sets," (3) another German invasion of France, (4) another case where North doesn't have to point North, (5) more double tiles dredging up the bloat and inconsistencies in the rulings for German Cathedrals and halflings, (6) an annoying design that requires extra wood but (for most players) does not provide it ... I guess that's enough for now.

I'm not sure what the positives are beyond (1) yay, bonus points, (2) yay, 600 people got something special that most players can never have, and (3) yay, I have the autograph of some mayor or somebody in Leipzig! Probably I'm not smart enough to see the clever gameplay design that leads to great new decision points, but this just kinda feels like a stripped-down, early-game variation on the City of Carcassonne. Pick the quarter(s) you think best, put a meeple or two there, and then cha-ching some extra points throughout the game while you try to make those situations come up a little more frequently.

I will say it's better gameplay than the ridiculous wind roses, although it has a worse visual impact on the map.

Other opinions? Please help me understand where I'm wrong.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
Sorry, I'm not sure 'Myth' is the correct term to use.  Z-man contacted Danisthirty and published an article on their website stating that the tiles were compatible and requested they used his images of a game where he had mixed the tiles as an example.

It's not a myth the publisher believes the versions to be compatible with one another.

Regarding the rules, I'll reserve judgement until I've had the opportunity to play it.  The tiles look great in my opinion, the new iconography makes for a nice change and is relatively clear.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2017, 06:12:34 AM »
The Dutch publisher 999 Games have also stated a couple times that the old and new art are compatible because the backs of the tiles are the same.
They don't speak of expansions though...

And for the rules i'll have to join Decar. I will wait untill i've played with it before i can make a statement :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
Sorry, I guess I should have said "full compatibility" is a myth and "partial compatibility" is a reality. You can fully use Under the Big Top's tiles and wood mixed with your C-I components, but you can't fully use Leipzig or the abbots with your C-I tiles.

Now, it's clearly less of an issue with the abbots, since when you buy them (at retail, not the secondary market) you are also buying 8+1 new-art tiles that have gardens. (None of your C-I expansions or C-I WoF tiles have gardens, of course, but that doesn't stop the garden mechanic from working; it just greatly dilutes it.) But I think Leipzig is the first new C-II set that is "officially incompatible" with the C-I base set and all of its expansions. According to the rules, the tanner district simply doesn't work right unless you have donkeys and cattle and pigs (oh my) in sheds.

It's a minor thing, to be sure. And obviously we can pick some decorative elements on the C-I tiles to approximate the effect, as I've already pointed out. Not really a big deal either way, as I wouldn't predict that this expansion is going to be topping a lot of must-have lists for its gameplay mechanics.

But on a philosophical level, it is sort of the first bit of hard evidence that "full compatibility" is not on the design/development team's checklist. (And why would it be? Naturally they want the old game to fade away so everyone buys the new one.)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
Expensive!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
There is one available on ebay-kleinanzeigen:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mini-erweiterung-zu-carcassonne-die-maerkte-zu-leipzig-/730587449-23-2694
It is still too expensive for me, probably right after Essen will be easier to find something at fairest price...

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
Remember, it will be available from the Cundco shop after Essen, just not in the nice box and with tiles and signatures

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • To get them all and play them all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2017, 05:44:17 AM »
Hi,

Im here with you for more or less one year, checking, reading and learning. I haven’t felt free to write or bump anyone just strait away... maybe because I wanted to get more into the game and hmm.. to get everything that was on the market ☺

Probably, I will be in mionrity when I say that it‘s my girlfriend that came to me to play this game (v.2.0) and it’s her „fault“ I become a huge fan and a collector maniac ☺ Each time I saw something new (in new art) on Cundco I poke all resellers with question when it will come up in Polish ☺ ..and she’s cheering each time I make her surprise with another expansion.

We play MEGA which is still not enough for us so I'm constantly checking for something new and few hours ago I found fan-expansions for CII and I can not focus on anything else today than to figure out how to print them and try to find a way to wait patiently for new ones or old ones in new artwork and... ok. different topic..

So time went by..
..but now – as a born citizen of Wrocław (Vratislavia) – I feel „the call“ when my city is oficialy included to Carcassonne universe (despite it’s used more like a direction marker and people will probably not play with those tiles anyway :p )

Just an excuse ☺

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 06:24:05 AM »
Welcome to the site, Piasekstc!

It's cool that your birth city is on one of the tiles. I hope you can get a copy of Leipzig to surprise your girlfriend with.

Can anybody hook this guy up? This is the best case I've heard yet for helping out a fellow player. Not that there's a list, but let's pretend there is a list so I can officially remove my own request from the list to make room for Piasekstc, back on page 2 or 3 or wherever that was.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2017, 05:17:31 AM »
Yes that is a very nice story!  It's always nice to hear families playing Carcassonne so passionately.

The expansion is not available yet, except as exclusive events in Germany.  They will be available to the public later in the year.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »
Welcome to the forums Piasekstc!

I was never into boardgaming and had never heard of Carcassonne (the place or the game) until my wife bought it for me as a surprise birthday present! So it's all her fault that I'm here so much (something I like to remind her of from time to time)...

Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck getting hold of this expansion when it becomes available through cundco.de!

Dan

Offline Piasekstc

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • To get them all and play them all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2017, 01:33:38 AM »
Thanks,.. specially you Just a Bill :)

This coincidence with my city was just a nice opportunity to finally write something, so i did that under this topic. I didn't mean to ask anyone for a favor. I know that it will be in shops afterwards so I can wait for it. There are a lot people far more interested than me, in getting those signed expansion tiles.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Two questions about the Market of Leipzig

Started by carca82

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2022, 02:32:10 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
[WTG] The Market in Leipzig

Started by Push

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2018, 12:52:31 AM