Poll

Which date/s would you be able to attend the meet up in Nottingham?

Sun 17th July [is now CANCELED]
1 (11.1%)
Sun 14th August
3 (33.3%)
Sun 21st August
3 (33.3%)
Sun 28th August (i.e. during the BHol w/end)
1 (11.1%)
sometime in September (pref a Sunday, please state date in thread)
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: July 14, 2016, 05:23:10 AM

Author Topic: Nottingham meet up in Summer 2016  (Read 15535 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Nottingham meet up in Summer 2016
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
Just a quick note to say that Decar and I are planning on meeting up in Nottingham on Sun 17th July at Ludorati Café and we'd like lots of you to join us.

The idea for this meet up came about whilst we were waiting for the bus to whisk us back to the park and ride site in Oxford after our visit to Thirsty Meeples a couple of months ago. We were talking about arranging another get together which was more centrally located, in the hope that others who weren't able to travel to previous gatherings (in Rugby and Oxford) due to distance might find that somewhere in the East Midlands was more viable. We also thought that something just before the schools finished for summer would be good timing - after the UK Games Expo but before people may be away for the summer holidays.

And so my quest began... I have visited both board game cafés in Nottingham city centre a couple of times to suss them out and visited a FLGS about 5 miles away where we could have some table space. After lots of hard work fun, I feel that Ludorati would be an ideal venue for us - very friendly staff, a pretty large selection of games, great drinks, it looks really smart and impressive as a purpose designed gaming space and is in a good location near the castle!

I'll post some details tomorrow about the meet up, but just wanted to alert folks to the plan and hope that folks still have the date free in their diary.

Cheers,
Rich.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2802.0
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:14:29 PM by Rich_The_Fish, Reason: change title »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham meet up on Sun 17th July
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Here's a quick photo of inside...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
Thanks for all the effort Rich the Fish - I've been looking forward to the next Carcassonne Central Meetup, and it seems like a good idea to hold it more centrally... I hope some Northern Monkeys might attend this time :)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »
Aaarrggghhhh! !!!

I will be in spain

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:59:47 AM »
Sorry to hear you'll not be able to make it Rosco, although I'm sure you'll have a great time away in Spain! Would you attend if you could make it?
Depending on how many people are up for it on the 17th, there is a possibility that we could reschedule. Let's see how interest develops over the next week or so before I look for alternative dates.

Aaarrggghhhh! !!!

I will be in spain

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »
Sounds great! I'll be there. :green-meeple:

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
Yes I will

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Sounds great! I'll be there. :green-meeple:
Fab, glad you can join us.

Good that the café is, they don't have many variants of Carcassonne - just the standard base game (original artwork) and Star Wars from what I've seen in their library. They aren't very keen on people bringing their own games in (need to be agreed in advance by mgmt), so thought that we could use this meet up to play some other games. Besides, some of you may be a little less enthusiastic about spending a full day playing lots of Carcassonne if you've attended the marathon session at Draughts next Sun!

I'd planned on posting some more information today, but haven't got round to it - sorry! Just on my way to the pub for a rare night out, so won't get chance tonight but should be able to tomorrow night. Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »

Yes I will

Okay thanks, good to know. Will keep you posted. Just out of interest at this stage, could you make the following Sun?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »
I think I am

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »

Yes I will

Okay thanks, good to know. Will keep you posted. Just out of interest at this stage, could you make the following Sun?

I am definitely not available for that and the following 2 Sundays.  Summer holsllll

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 03:23:44 AM »
With train times from London, the earliest I could get to the Ludorati Café would be around 11:15-11:30am. That should still be plenty of time for a lot of gaming!

Looking at their game library, there are quite a few that I haven't played but would like to try. For example:
  • Camel Up
  • Colt Express
  • Tzolkin
  • Zooloretto

And obviously a couple of games of Carcassonne would be great as always. :D

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:36:40 AM »
The date's not very far away now and it sounds like our Northern contingent is down in numbers.

Rich: Do you think it might be worth pushing this out to the August/Summer Holidays?  Perhaps then the kids could come & Rosco + others might be free.

Rosco - what weekends do you have free?

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 05:45:05 AM »
The date's not very far away now and it sounds like our Northern contingent is down in numbers.

Rich: Do you think it might be worth pushing this out to the August/Summer Holidays?  Perhaps then the kids could come & Rosco + others might be free.
Hi folks. Yes, it might be sensible to push this back a bit so that more people can attend. I'll double check with the missus to see when the kids are actually away over the summer, as they'd like to attend if possible. I've also mentioned it to a few friends who have just started getting into board games - they are interested but need to check their availability once we settle on a date.

I'll propose a few alternative dates in August or September in the hope that others are available - the more the merrier!

I quite like the idea of meeting up on a Sunday - there's more chance 'the cube' will be free and bookable, it shouldn't clash with attending football and for those driving on street city centre parking is a LOT cheaper!

For those planning on arriving by car, have a look at http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/transport-parking-and-streets/parking-and-permits/city-centre-parking/on-street-city-centre-parking/ for details. On Sunday's, zone 1 (blue pins) are £1 for 2 hrs and 25p per additional 30 mins, whilst zone 2 (red pins) is only £1 all day! You should be able to park within a 5 min walk or so. Park and ride is worth considering though if we meet on a Saturday though.

Alternatively, the train station is less than a 10 min walk and the 2 bus stations are not far either.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 06:12:52 AM »
Just thought I'd attach a few photos. One shows the café and a few games for sale [far left], another shows the premium gaming room i.e. 'the cube', a close-up of 'the wall' and finally a somewhat distant shot but it shows the café area, 'the cube' [back left], 'the wall' library [back wall] and the general gaming area [between the café and games wall].

For more details of their games library, premium games and table hire please see http://www.ludoraticafe.com/library/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Sherrif of Nottingham - promo cards

Started by thodekey

0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2017, 01:55:45 AM
by thodekey
clip
Sheriff of Nottingham - review

Started by thodekey

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 03:00:17 AM