Author Topic: Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?  (Read 10044 times)

Offline jvnoledawg

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
    • Noledawg's Travels
Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
In CAR v6.2, p129, fn 368, peterjpromnitz notes the following:

"...the flip-flopping mechanic of the ferries can wreak havoc when using the Robber Baron, effectively allowing the road to be completed and re-opened mutiple (sic) times.  Depending on your experiences, creation of a house rule may be necessary."

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve such problem?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=239.0
JLV

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:33:01 AM »
I'm not entirely clear on the problem. For the Robber Baron to change hands, you need to complete a longer road. If the same road(s) is/are being completed multiple times, they aren't getting any longer.

Something I would probably want a house rule, or maybe even an official ruling, on is the combination of Ferries with Magic Portal. I don't think it should be permitted to deploy a follower through the magic portal to a road which is otherwise completed except that the ferry needs to be toggled.

Offline jvnoledawg

• Villein
    • View Profile
    • Noledawg's Travels
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
It's not the longer road problem, it's the end of game scoring: 1 point per completed road. How many times do you count a road that opens and closes with movement of the ferry, and how do you keep track of it?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
It's not the longer road problem, it's the end of game scoring: 1 point per completed road. How many times do you count a road that opens and closes with movement of the ferry, and how do you keep track of it?

the rule:
"at the end of the game, the player in possession of the Robber Baron receives 1 point for
every completed road."
The rule doesn't say anything like this: completed and scored (during the game play) road.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
Something I would probably want a house rule, or maybe even an official ruling, on is the combination of Ferries with Magic Portal. I don't think it should be permitted to deploy a follower through the magic portal to a road which is otherwise completed except that the ferry needs to be toggled.

The magic portal
A player who places a magic portal tile may deploy a follower in this turn to
that tile or to a tile already in play.
The usual rules must be followed—for example, the follower may not be
deployed
to an already occupied or completed road, city, cloister, or farm

The ferries
Continuing a road with a ferry – If, by placing a tile, a player continues a road where there is a ferry, that player may move the ferry.

...using the magic portal and then move the ferry - that doesn't work.

Offline jvnoledawg

• Villein
    • View Profile
    • Noledawg's Travels
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »

the rule:
"at the end of the game, the player in possession of the Robber Baron receives 1 point for
every completed road."
The rule doesn't say anything like this: completed and scored (during the game play) road.

OK, my bad. It's not a rules problem, it's a method problem. We've been using the very cool tracking sheet created here in the downloads section ( http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8 ) to track the number of cities/roads and longest of each. When you use the ferries it becomes challenging to try and do that in-game. So I guess the solution is to not bother tracking during the game and just wait til end of game to do so.

Thanks.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:27:46 AM »
...When you use the ferries it becomes challenging to try and do that in-game. So I guess the solution is to not bother tracking during the game and just wait til end of game to do so.

We award in-game scoring for King and Robber Baron also - to reward each player that own's it at the time - but only for features that are actually scored by a player - not features which become completed but have no affect on the score board. Counting ALL completed features at end-game is tedious work and can be unbalancing - and would be nearly impossible to track in-game.

Remember that you can only toggle a ferry piece if you extend the very road that the ferry piece is on (that's the ferry piece, not the ferry tile). This means that once the road is completed and scored using the ferry piece the ferry piece is locked in place since that road can no longer be extended.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Inns & Robber Baron: Element Match-Ups #1

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2015, 08:21:59 AM
by Durbs
grin
The King & Robber Baron – Element of the Week #5

Started by Whaleyland

26 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 09:14:20 AM