Author Topic: Carcassonne Big Box 5 Review  (Read 30434 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Carcassonne Big Box 5 Review
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
Foreword

Just like the previous Big Box (4), I was hesitant to buy it and yet in the end, I did. Luckily I did not have that decision to make with Big Box 5 as it was given to me on my birthday party! As it's still fresh and many know so little about it still, figure I write this review to include everything about this box in one single thread.

Content

Let's start off with what's probably the most valuable info. What's inside the box?

12x River tiles
These river tiles contains new graphics in the way that they have Sheep and Hills. There are none with cattle, a pig, Inn or any other hint for other expansions. The segments are the same, some has city / cities or road or a combination and one has a cloister.

The watermark is in the shape of three waves. These are large and you could interpret this as River III like me.  :(y)

And get this: The backside of these river tiles are light, like any other tile you draw! Something I've longed for and hope they continue to print them like this.

24x Traders and Builders
These seem to be the standard tiles and tokens like any previous released versions. The tokens are a bit larger, as with Big Box 4 compared to the old standalone expansion.

9x Barrels
6x Wheat
5x Cloth (or Flags as I call them)  ;)

18x Sheep and Hills
Again, there does not seem to be any difference regarding the tiles and the tokens. One thing that has been fixed is now all tiles has the sheep watermark, which in the standalone expansion had one tile missing this.

Wheel of Fortune and the base game
This is where things get a bit tricky.

There is one starter tile, with darker backside as usual. But what can get a bit confusing (not having read the rules from this BB5 yet) is what is what with the rest.

There are:
56x base game tiles without any watermarks or Wheel of Fortune numbers
16x base game tiles without any watermarks with a WoF numbers on it
12x Wheel of Fortune tiles with a watermark on it. Some has a WoF number as well.

UPDATE: If only playing the base game this BB5, you will have 72 draw tiles and one starter tile totalling 73 tiles in play.

The rulebook has as usual a tilesheet spread at the end of it. Although it shows every tile so you can sort out what is what, it's still tedious and a cheap way to go. They should have had the base game alone and WoF alone, i.e. extra tiles. It seems like every Big Box is cutting corners and the amount of content is becoming less and less.
  Sure, we have 2 more player colours, but something like that should be a bonus content. The price for this box in Sweden is more costly than buying each part of this bundle separately.
  Comparing with Big Box 3, which cost half as much as the content itself bought separately, it's becoming clear that these boxes are more for collector's need because I can't see any new player invest in such a grand box without starting small.

The rest of the content
1x Wheel of Fortune 'tile' which is 4x4 in tilesize as the old standalone expansion. This one has a new look, no text which has been replaced with images. Good or bad, it's all up to the eye of the beholder. The pink pig that walks this tile is also present, like the old standalone version.  :@

8x 50 / 100 marker tiles to keep track of the larger scoring.

These comes in eight different colours:
8x big follower
8x builder (also known as Bob the Builder)
8x shepherd
8x pigs
64x standard follower

The colours are:  :black-meeple:  :blue-meeple:  :green-meeple:  :red-meeple:  :meeple:  :gray-meeple:
and the new colours of pink and purple.

Conclusion
So is this worth buying?
  If already owning a lot already, this may not seem like a good deal. If it wasn't for the River III tiles, I'd say this was definately not worth buying. But there's also the Wheel of Fortune to consider. Because so many out there missed their chance getting this expansion (which I keep referring WoF to but it's not!), Big Box 5 is a must and thus making this BB5 an awesome find.

Pros
- New river tiles
- Sought after for many, the Wheel of Fortune
- 7th and 8th colour set

Cons
- The price is way too high compared to its content
- Exclusive and out of print material in a big box with half the content already own rendered useless to many. The Big Box should contain regular reprints of the common sets for new players, instead of forcing collectors to buy unnecessary releases.
- UPDATE:  Normally this would not be an issue, but because the Sheep and Hills cloth bag was already introduced in the its own expansion box, it should also have been included in BB5. Instead, all the tokens are faced down and shuffled. Drawn when one places a tile (and chooses to do this action).

And lastly a quick peek on the rulebook. Nothing fancy here. Standard each part of the game sets explained on their own. Found one errata on the spreadsheet where it says there's 2x of one of the Trader's tile, but in fact there is, and always has been, one of each tile (24 unique ones).

Hope you enjoyed reading this and take what is written here with a grain of salt.  :meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1149.0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:44:54 AM by Yellow »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Big Box 5 Review
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
In Germany the price at a supermarket is 30 Euro, I think this is cheap compared to base game 18 Euros and expansion 11 - 13 Euro. What is the price in other countries?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
In Germany the price at a supermarket is 30 Euro, I think this is cheap compared to base game 18 Euros and expansion 11 - 13 Euro. What is the price in other countries?

This is something I have not considered. It would be nice to know the price in other countries. 30 Euro is definately a good deal! I'd buy 3 copies more for that price.

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »
45 in spain in some places if you're lucky, 50 normally
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
In Italy is 55 euro.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Gerry

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »

some Canadian prices from my local store

Carcassonne Big Box 5 Board Game Price (CAN): $82.95

Carcassonne Board Game Expansion The Wheel Of Fortune  Out of stock Price (CAN): $34.95

Carcassonne Board Game with The River Expansion  Out of stock Price (CAN): $38.95

Carcassonne Board Game Traders & Builders Expansion (Z-Man Version)   Out of stock Price (CAN): $19.95

Carcassonne Board Game Hills & Sheep Price (CAN): $19.95

Carcassonne Inns & Cathedrals Expansion (Z-Man Version) Price (CAN): $19.95

Carcassonne Board Game Big Box (Z-MAN Edition) 6 mini expansions  Out of stock Price (CAN): $74.95

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
The trouble of buying from Germany is the high postage costs.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »

Quote from: Yellow link=topic=1149.msg14004#msg14004

18x Sheep and Hills
Again, there does not seem to be any difference regarding the tiles and the tokens. One thing that has been fixed is now all tiles has the sheep watermark, which in the standalone expansion had one tile missing this.

What about the white bag for the sheep/wolfes tokens? Apparently it is missing.. Would add that to the "cons", if true.

Gerry

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »

What about the white bag for the sheep/wolfes tokens? Apparently it is missing.. Would add that to the "cons", if true.

My original  big box from Rio Grande also came without the blue draw tile bag, fortunately I really enjoy traders and builders so I bought a second copy and got the bag, then I had so many trader tiles that it was difficult to finish cities so I had to pull 14 city ending tiles form a spare copy of the base game to balance things out again and so it goes on.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »

Quote from: Yellow link=topic=1149.msg14004#msg14004

18x Sheep and Hills

Updated the original review with this info. I agree it should have been included.

Also updated the base game info. It's actually 73 tiles in this version. 72 draw tiles and one starter tile. This would go well for 2-4, 6 and 8 players. You can always remove 2 tiles or disregard the last 2 tiles in the heap when there's 5 and 7 players, for the sake of fairness.

Offline pjmcmullan

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
Hi, so what is the additional tile?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
I think there is an extra tile like the starter tile.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 03:08:52 AM »
Thanks for this review Yellow.

So the 73rd tile in the "basic" tile set is another crfr tile?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 03:53:11 AM »
Thanks for this review Yellow.

So the 73rd tile in the "basic" tile set is another crfr tile?

I think so. Did not think to check what tile it was and now all the tiles are mixed together so I myself can't tell. And I don't trust the spreadsheet because it already has at least one error.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 06:17:39 AM »
I've yet to pop open my BB5, so I'll take some photos of the boards pre-popping tonight, if it'll help :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A Quick REVIEW and unboxing in Cervantes Togue! REVIEW EN ESPAÑOL de CARCASSONNE

Started by Luisjoey

0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2019, 12:26:06 PM
by Luisjoey
xx
Big Box 4 (Plus 2012) VS Big Box 5 (Plus 2014) what is the best?

Started by caincarcassonne

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
by SRBO
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands

Started by SRBO

153 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
by Paul
xx
HAVE: Empty Big Box WANT: Empty Standard Box