Poll

How often do you use house rules when playing Carcassonne?

Always
6 (16.2%)
Very often (but not always)
8 (21.6%)
Sometimes
3 (8.1%)
Rarely
4 (10.8%)
Nearly never
9 (24.3%)
Never
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Do you use house rules?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Do you use house rules?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2023, 03:14:05 AM »
Shepherds that get closed in are stuck there until the end of the game.
Don't forget, that sheep kept on board are not counted in final scoring for Shepherds.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2023, 04:18:21 AM »
…I was using 2 "house rules" because I wasn't aware … We still play it without correcting
The accidental house rule that you end up keeping!  Love it.

When we started, we always let the first player place a meeple on the start tile, because I didn’t read the rules carefully, but I just couldn’t imagine that the rules would demand an unequal number of turns no matter how many players were playing!?  We are now members of the 73rd-tile club, with the wind roses start tile as our 73rd.  Or sometimes we use the German Castles as start tiles.

We also played castles from Exp 8 wrong: we allowed a player to score a castle on the turn it is created!  This is too powerful, so we changed to official rules.  Actually, we played with a bunch of variants and now rarely use the castle, so I don’t know how we would play this today, probably some variant…

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2023, 04:23:44 AM »
Someone ever asked KJW to see if the 72 tiles was accidental ?

Like yeah it's perfect to divide by 2 / 3 / 4 but since it's not pulled by anyone it shouldn't count ?

maybe it was overlooked :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 04:35:45 AM »
...but I just couldn’t imagine that the rules would demand an unequal number of turns no matter how many players were playing!?

It's fine for games with 71 players! ;)

Offline Broadstorm

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 06:09:58 AM »
…I was using 2 "house rules" because I wasn't aware … We still play it without correcting
The accidental house rule that you end up keeping!  Love it.

When we started, we always let the first player place a meeple on the start tile, because I didn’t read the rules carefully, but I just couldn’t imagine that the rules would demand an unequal number of turns no matter how many players were playing!?  We are now members of the 73rd-tile club, with the wind roses start tile as our 73rd.  Or sometimes we use the German Castles as start tiles.

We also played castles from Exp 8 wrong: we allowed a player to score a castle on the turn it is created!  This is too powerful, so we changed to official rules.  Actually, we played with a bunch of variants and now rarely use the castle, so I don’t know how we would play this today, probably some variant…

I also have a copy of the German castles mini expansion.  If I don't use the River, then I use the large city from CK&R as a start tile.  I didn't see anything about this in the rules because many of those mini expansions don't cover some of the possible interactions with other expansions so we apply the German castles rule about placement to the large city start tile so we do not place the German castles touching the large city.
I'm not screwing up your city.  I'm building roads to it so that you can bring in materials.

Offline Broadstorm

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2023, 06:11:30 AM »
Don't forget, that sheep kept on board are not counted in final scoring for Shepherds.

Did I say 2?  Make it 3.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 06:18:01 AM »
It's fine for games with 71 players! ;)
+1 merit for prime number humor!

But also for your 2014 thread on this topic, which I should have read more carefully!    :)

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2023, 06:23:50 AM »

Did I say 2?  Make it 3.

haha   :D
go and buy Mists over Carcassonne and very carefully read the rules. Then play a few games and your number of house rules has magically increased  >:D

Offline Broadstorm

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »

Did I say 2?  Make it 3.

haha   :D
go and buy Mists over Carcassonne and very carefully read the rules. Then play a few games and your number of house rules has magically increased  >:D

I am waiting for 2 copies of Mists Over Carcassonne, 1 to keep separate & 1 to integrate.  I haven't even gotten it yet & found something to question while looking at the rules online.

I posted this on BGG:

"• Limit the mist: You place a tile with mist on it such that at least 1 misty side is placed next to an existing, mist-free, tile. In this case, you must then add 1 ghost to one of your own meeples on the game board."

When using "Limit the mist" does it matter which tile is placed first? Can you achieve the same result by placing a mist-free tile next to an existing misty side tile?

Then, I looked further and added this:

The ghosts in the mist don’t matter – ignore them. If you draw a tile with mist on it, you now have the option of adding ghosts to the game. How exactly depends on how you place the tile:

• Expand the mist: You place a tile with mist on it such that at least 1 side expands an existing mist bank. You must then add 1 ghost to another player’s meeple on the game board. It doesn’t matter if you finish the mist bank. You just have to expand it.

• Limit the mist: You place a tile with mist on it such that at least 1 misty side is placed next to an existing, mist-free, tile. In this case, you must then add 1 ghost to one of your own meeples on the game board.

• It can happen that you simultaneously expand one mist bank while limiting another. In that case you must first add 1 ghost to another player’s meeple on the game board, after which you must add 1 ghost to one of your own meeples on the game board.

Limit the mist seems to only work that one way based on how the rule is stated, but the next part seems to indicate that it can work either way. The only tile that has more than 1 mist area is the starting tile. The only way to expand 1 mist & limit another mist with a single tile placement would require that the rule work with either placement order.

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2023, 10:08:38 PM »
Oh, I was talking about Mists over Carcassonne as standalone game , not as 11th expansion  ;)

Offline Broadstorm

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2023, 04:15:49 AM »
Oh, I was talking about Mists over Carcassonne as standalone game , not as 11th expansion  ;)

Offline Professor

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2023, 06:22:23 AM »
When playing King and Robber, if the player holding the robber draws a tile with highwaypeople (which look a lot like bandits to me), he/she can steal the road from another player if he/she connects it to an already occupied road.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2023, 05:31:34 AM »
he/she can steal the road from another player if he/she connects it to an already occupied road.
Great idea.  Can you give a bit more detail?  You have a road, let’s say with 3 tiles.  I place a tile with a bandit that makes your road 4 tiles long.  If I hold the robber, I can place a meeple on the road on my tile and then remove your meeple?  Or do I just join your meeple and share control?  What if you have multiple meeples on the road, or if multiple players have meeples on the road?  Everything gets removed?

Thanks for another fun variant.  Keep them coming!  :)

Offline Professor

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2023, 05:43:40 PM »
Since the bandits have something looking like knives and they are more than one, the Robber places his/her meeple on the newly placed tile and the meeple or meeples that was/were already in that road is/are just killed (it/they return(s) to the owner's supply). But as I said in another place, I do not own these rules, you can modify them as you wish (and then share the results with us! ;)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2023, 10:35:48 AM »
Robber is for longest road, right?  This seems like it could be very powerful!  Get the robber and then takeover any road that threatens to take it away!  I also play only C1, so I don't really have a sense of how often you get bandits--maybe there is enough chance for someone to complete a long road before it is stolen?  Anyway, I like this idea--have fun!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Crop Circles - House Rules

Started by Treamayne

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
by Treamayne
xx
Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?

Started by jvnoledawg

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
by Carcking
xx
House Rules... a new fan =)

Started by AlbinoAsian

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 03:06:31 AM
by AlbinoAsian
xx
House rules: The Princess & the Dragon (Pompeii)

Started by Professor

4 Replies
Last post April 20, 2023, 03:47:34 AM
by jacky1st2016
xx
Best/Recommended House Rules

Started by cicerunner

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 08:00:46 PM
by dirk2112