Author Topic: Call for advice on building a visually consistent C1 collection from scratch  (Read 1851 times)

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcoming messages. I am enjoying sifting through the wealth of information and experience on here and BGG. I sense many, many hours have collectively been invested in developing such expertise and intend to take advantage of established wisdom!

As someone currently with no C1, I thought I would ask some questions to see what people think about developing a coherent collection. I guess advice will be relative to my (realistic) aspirations, so based on my C2 experience here goes a priority list, high to low:

Base, I&C, T&B, River I, Phantom (as the core of the gaming experience and featured in most games);
A&M, tiles from King and Scout* (most games, to round out some of the tile permutations that are missing above, plus Abbeys and the Mayors);
H&S, River III (as likely additions, whether all the rules are used or not),
P&D, River II (additions for some games, the centre piece of the occasional game)
Cult, Ferries, Gold Mines, Crop Circles (not so bothered about the other minis but would selectively play if we have them)

* already bought for Hunters & Gatherers.

We haven't played with the Count or WoF yet so don't have an informed opinion. If I got either as part of a set, in principle either might make an occasional variation to the start although neither jumps out as a must have. I like the visual impact though.

If it makes a difference to your advice, I am UK based with (reasonably) understanding family in France and the USA. I would prefer to spend on tiles rather than postal charges and duties.

------

It would seem to me that the easiest route would be to try and get BB5 if possible and add from there.
The same mix as separates may be easier to source though, I don't know.
Am I right in thinking the BB5 edition of the river has tiles with features specific to H&S which aren't available elsewhere, and is known as River III?

-----

There are mentions that some of the sets (particularly Big Box) are of different shades than others or stand-alone expansions. Big Box 4 was identified as being noticeably darker and, to my eyes, a 'bluer' green. It is hard to tell from photos due to variability of light, white balance etc.  Would you agree?
What advice for ending up with a homogenous finish have people found successful?
What combinations should I avoid?

-----

I have read that some of the very early editions have no watermarks on the expansion sets, which I guess gives a cleaner looking board when you are playing (desirable, to me at least) but must make separating out the sets a little more onerous unless you know them like the back of your hand (desirable once you have got there!).
I presume there must be a point in the chronology of the range after which only watermarked sets exist?

-----

Well, those are my early questions. That got rather long quite easily. I am sure there will be more!
I am particularly keen to be enlightened regarding the non-watermarked options.
Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Will

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5214.0

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Well. Green vs. Green. Problem which continue for years.
I started my collection with C2 basic game and C1 Sheeps and Hills. I didn't know that it's C1 and C2. There was written, expansion needs basic game. Not which one.
Then I had mixed collection some expansions C1 some C2. All of them had different green event they from C1, also from C2.
There are also differences on re-releases of same product, also country which published expansion etc.

My point for this - forget it, don't solve and look for expansions you want (and specialy when you are looking for C1, look at your budget :D)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
And if you look at any green area outdoor, you'll always see different shades of green  :yellow-meeple:

If you have the opportunity to get a big box 5,I strongly suggest you get it. It has unique river tiles (with sheeps and vineyards added), and the wheel of fortune is a great expansion!

Then you can also try to get the minis that have not been converted to C2, as those will add something new to your games, but those may be hard to get for a reasonable price...

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
Hi Will! if you are patient and wait let's say... about a month from now, maybe a little less, all will be clear nd your questions will be answered.
Just keep an eye on the forum around early May. :(y)

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
Hello and congratulations to your decision to pursue also the original C1 leg of the game! I would like to promote two minis that are easily available and for a reasonable price: The School and Wind Roses. I was surprised how warmly they were both embraced during our family playing even though their contribution to the game is actually quite minor. But I am very fond of alternative starts and I much like the design of Wind Roses. BB5 is surely a perfect bet as The Wheel of Fortune makes yet another twist.

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
I would recommend BB5 as well. Even if you end up not liking WoF, you can still use it as the base game. If you decide to later purchase WoF as a stand alone, it will likely cost you almost as much (if not more) as BB5.

Good luck dealing with the greens! It is something most of us have all had to accept. I will tell you that the "Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition" has "The Festival Mini-Expansion" that is much lighter than the stand alone "Festival Mini-Expansion".

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Good luck with your search!

I'm pretty sure there was never any consistency to begin with.

The BigBoxes in particular varied quite a bit compared to stand alone expansions, and those one offs were hit and miss. Given they've all been out of print for about 7 years now, I think you'd be best to grab what you can and focus on functional gaps in your current collection.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
If you want to keep your C1 greens aligned, please have a look at the following topic, where DrMeeple discusses the C1 expansions sharing similar shades of green...

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4391.msg64806#msg64806

Have fun and good luck in your quest!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help everyone.

I think the general advice to 'not worry about it' and enjoy building up the set we like to play is very sound.

If you want to keep your C1 greens aligned, please have a look at the following topic, where DrMeeple discusses the C1 expansions sharing similar shades of green...

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4391.msg64806#msg64806

Thanks Meepledrone (and DrMeeple!) for the link, that is very useful. I am getting better with the searching tools on here but there is a lot to look through. I can see I have asked a bunch of questions that have probably been comprehensively addressed elsewhere and I know that can be irritating in a forum.

Is there a way to bookmark a forum post or page so I can find it easily again in the future? I haven't managed to work that out yet.

Hi Will! if you are patient and wait let's say... about a month from now, maybe a little less, all will be clear nd your questions will be answered.

Intriguing! In theory I could buy a lot of Carcassonne between now and early May but I have learnt my lesson and will try to hold off...

Thanks all

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Thanks for the help everyone.

I think the general advice to 'not worry about it' and enjoy building up the set we like to play is very sound.

Thanks Meepledrone (and DrMeeple!) for the link, that is very useful. I am getting better with the searching tools on here but there is a lot to look through. I can see I have asked a bunch of questions that have probably been comprehensively addressed elsewhere and I know that can be irritating in a forum.

Is there a way to bookmark a forum post or page so I can find it easily again in the future? I haven't managed to work that out yet.

Intriguing! In theory I could buy a lot of Carcassonne between now and early May but I have learnt my lesson and will try to hold off...

Thanks all

Yes you can bookmark it inside of your browser, click on favorite, put it in some directory, or maybe a second directory inside  O:-) I've got to many O0
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Advice on "relay shipping" from Germany to the U.S.?

Started by Just a Bill

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2017, 07:56:17 AM
by ny1050220
smiley
So I did a thing ... need advice ...

Started by gantry

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 08:38:10 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Need advice for printing fan made expansions, and which are the best?

Started by Poron90

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
by lomdr
xx
Meeple resoration(?) advice

Started by Curt194

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 11:40:24 AM
by Curt194
xx
Need advice on communicating with Cundco