Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX  (Read 57372 times)

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2021, 01:01:23 AM »
Question #15: The Yellow Messenger landed on a dark space. As a result, Yellow receives the message shown by
The Grinch. How many points does Yellow score for this message when applied to this feature?

Answer #15: after receiving this message, Yellow will have to score the city as if after the game and remove the meeple.

Yellow will the score 5 points for the city:
- The city itself is worth 0 points ( 5 tiles x 0 points for the cathedral)
- The Mage bonus is 5 points ( 5 tiles x 1 point per tile for the mage )

Yellow will also receive 3 points for the fairy next to their meeple.

Notes:
* The German castle bonus is not applicable during final scoring.
* The Mage bonus is applied during the game and after the game for incomplete features, even if the incomplete feature scores 0 points due to an inn or a cathedral, like in this case. The Mage bonus is applied after the inn or cathedral.

Bottomline:
- Yellow scores 8 points in two scoring events (5 points for the city with the mage + 3 points for the fairy)

Final note: Yellow could also renounce to score any points for the feature and receive 2 points for the message instead. However this case is not the answer expected for this question.

The mage remains on the tile?

Yes, the mage stays in the city until the city is completed or until he is relocated after placing a new mage/witch tile.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2021, 01:14:30 AM »
Question #15: The Yellow Messenger landed on a dark space. As a result, Yellow receives the message shown by
The Grinch. How many points does Yellow score for this message when applied to this feature?

Answer #15: after receiving this message, Yellow will have to score the city as if after the game and remove the meeple.

Yellow will the score 5 points for the city:
- The city itself is worth 0 points ( 5 tiles x 0 points for the cathedral)
- The Mage bonus is 5 points ( 5 tiles x 1 point per tile for the mage )

Yellow will also receive 3 points for the fairy next to their meeple.

Notes:
* The German castle bonus is not applicable during final scoring.
* The Mage bonus is applied during the game and after the game for incomplete features, even if the incomplete feature scores 0 points due to an inn or a cathedral, like in this case. The Mage bonus is applied after the inn or cathedral.

Bottomline:
- Yellow scores 8 points in two scoring events (5 points for the city with the mage + 3 points for the fairy)

Final note: Yellow could also renounce to score any points for the feature and receive 2 points for the message instead. However this case is not the answer expected for this question.

The mage remains on the tile?
Yop ;-)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2021, 01:43:45 AM »
Correct. The feature was not properly scored in 3. Scoring a feature, so the Mage stays put.

In other cases, there may be more meeples on the same feature that would participate in the usual scoring when the feature is completed. So the Mage should stay on the feature until that moment, unless moved elsewhere of course.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2021, 04:25:05 AM »
Question #17: Santa Claus places this tile. How will manage Red and Yellow to be robbed the least points possible? How many points will each player score?

Answer #17: The tile placed completes:
- A city occupied by Red worth 6 points (3 tiles x 2 points)
- A road occupied by Yellow worth 3 points (3 tiles x 1 point)
- A castle occupied by Red worth 3 points, as the scoring is triggered by the road.

So Red has to score the city and the castle and Yellow has to score the road. The field is not scored so Blue receives no points for it.

As a result of the configuration on the scoreboard...
- The Red Robber will steal 0 points from Yellow if Yellow scores with their messenger.
- The Yellow Robber may steal points from any of the Red Scoring Figures. So Red has to score both features with the same scoring figure starting by the one with the least points to minimize the points stolen by Yellow Robber.

Note that scoring with robbers has to be planned ahead, not per feature scored. If Red decides to score each feature with a different scoring figure, Yellow Robber would be able to choose which one to steal from, since it would have visibility over the first scoring of each scoring figure used. So the key point here is to move only one of the scoring figures to allow the Yellow Robber no choice but the least evil for Red.

So the scoring sequence would be as follows, assuming Red decides to score with their scoring meeple only (it would have the same effect if Red would decide to use their messenger for both scorings instead):
1. First features scored:
  - Red scores 3 points for the castle with the Red Scoring Meeple
  - Yellow scores 3 points for the road with the Yellow Messenger.
2. If possible, robbers steal points and they are removed:
  - The Yellow Robber steals 2 points from the Red Scoring Meeple (3 points / 2 rounded up)  and is then removed from the scoreboard and returned to its owner.
  - The Red Robber cannot steal from Yellow so it stays on the scoreboard.
3. The remaining feature is scored.
  - Red scores 6 points for the city with the Red Scoring Meeple so no more points can be stolen.

Notes: If it was Yellow's turn and the 2 points stolen by the Yellow Robber were scored by the Yellow Scoring Meeple, Yellow would receive a message. That would mean a separate scoring or 2 points.

Bottomline:
- Red scores 9 points in two separate scoring events (3 points for the castle + 6 points for the city)
- Yellow scores 5 points in two separate scoring events (3 points for the road + 2 stolen points)

Final note: When playing with robbers, the order followed to evaluate each feature may not match the order used to score them. In this case, the castle is evaluated last (due to its dependencies) but it has to be scored first to minimize the points stolen from Red.

"Example 3: The Blue player completes the city and scores 16 points. Because part of the city is neighboring your castle and is the first completed neighboring feature, you also score 16 points." The correct order should be:
- Yellow scores 3 points for the road with the Yellow Messenger.
- Red scores 3 points for the castle with the Red Scoring Meeple
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
Players may decide the order of their scorings affecting the same scoring figure. Robbers are not limited by the evaluation loop. That's the issue with the scoring loop and ROBBER CHOICE in the Order of Play I was talking about. You have to evaluate features following the order required but may score them in the order you decide. It is the only way to reconcile the scoring requirements with robbers.

Please check this clarification:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Robbers#cite_note-7
If a single scoring figure moves multiple times due to scoring of more than one feature with placement of a single tile, the player receiving the points chooses the order that points are awarded. If there is a robber beside that figure, the owner of the robber would thus receive half the points of only the first feature that is scored. Of course, if multiple figures on the same space receive points, the robber’s owner can still choose which figure to steal points from. (5/2013, 11/2014)

If you follow a strict scoring loop, especially with castles, you will end at impossible situations to score, like the ones in the following thread:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3151.0

Check the example below:
* How do you score this scenario if you handle only one feature at a time?
* Which castle do you score first?
* How many points does each castle score?
Mix this with robbers and bathhouses...  >:D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:55:48 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2021, 02:51:21 AM »
I did just get my prize, thanks a lot Meepledrone, I didn't expect such a prize !  :o   :D

But I'm gonna keep it secret, let's participate in next year's quizz, and maybe you'll get your prize  ;)

Everyone, let's practice and read WICA as bedtime reading to be prepared for next year  :yellow-meeple:

Oh, and +1 merit for Meepledrone for the amazing work for that quizz, it was really fun !  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Gagoune

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
  • To place or not to place...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2021, 04:00:54 AM »
Hey corinthiens13,
Once again congrats for your score!
Thanks to Meepledrone for the gift he sends to the participant! It was so nice!
I hope every one will want to participate to the next one!  :))

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2021, 04:26:45 AM »
I did just get my prize, thanks a lot Meepledrone, I didn't expect such a prize !  :o   :D

But I'm gonna keep it secret, let's participate in next year's quizz, and maybe you'll get your prize  ;)

Everyone, let's practice and read WICA as bedtime reading to be prepared for next year  :yellow-meeple:

Oh, and +1 merit for Meepledrone for the amazing work for that quizz, it was really fun !  :yellow-meeple:

Got a present as well last week. And I admit, I was really happily surprised with this nice attention and kind words!  :D ^-^ 8)
So, thank You, Meepledrone!  :D

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2021, 09:56:18 AM »
Same here!

Thank you very much Hector! It was good fun to participate, and if anything, it has taught me to pay a bit more attention to the rules hahaha
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2021, 11:00:54 AM »
You are welcome!

It was worth it if you had fun!  ;D

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
Mine arrived, too! Thanks again, Meepledrone.
I had a lot of fun and a lot of "now I need to catch up with the new expansions" moments.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »
Glad to hear! It didn't take long compared to the deliveries to Europe.  ???

You can see we started 2021 throwing away anything we took for granted in 10/2015 about double-sized tiles and halfings... So be ready for anything.

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »

Got a present as well last week. And I admit, I was really happily surprised with this nice attention and kind words!  :D ^-^ 8)
So, thank You, Meepledrone!  :D

Wow! Are those hand-painted?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
Nope! They are character meeples you can find on Meeplesource.com (http://www.meeplesource.com). Their size is around 19mm, similar to a large meeple. You can browse their catalog here:

https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=17

You can even find a Danisthirty meeple:  :o

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=Dan-

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:05:10 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2021, 12:01:14 PM »
Nope! They are character meeples you can find on Meeplesource.com (http://www.meeplesource.com). Their size is around 19mm, similar to a large meeple. You can browse their catalog here:

https://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=17

You can even find a Danisthirty meeple:  :o

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=Dan-

Oh wow. I had no idea that there's such a universe of meeples out there. I'm a bit bewildered.

Here's a funny though...I had mentally inserted an extra "h," such that I thought @danisthirsty was danisHthirsty....which always made me think of Tak for kaffe!!. Now, I see where I didn't before.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:05:30 PM by Meepledrone »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz

Started by danisthirty

93 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 11:15:42 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII