Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX  (Read 57786 times)

Offline Gagoune

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
  • To place or not to place...?
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
I am sure I will not win this year as I have been offline for quite some time at the end of the advent quiz.
But I am happy to see that I got at least the first seven questions right  ;D

And I am also happy to see that there is much more competition than last year.
Gagoune, corinthiens13, Bumsakalaka and Carcassonne 93 to name a few are doing really great!
So maybe we get a chance !  >:D
You're strong with the rules, it must be fun to play with you !  :))

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
I am sure I will not win this year as I have been offline for quite some time at the end of the advent quiz.

Gagoune, corinthiens13, Bumsakalaka and Carcassonne 93 to name a few are doing really great!

7?  :o
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »

7?  :o
It might be 6  ;D
But let's hope also my seventh answer is correct  >:D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »
So much suspense... It's breathtaking  :o  :D

Thanks for this calendar and every riddles!  :yellow-meeple:

+1 merit for Meepledrone, and Gagoune for French translation.  ;)

Thanks!  ;D

I'm doing several tasks in parallel... That helps building up the suspense!  >:D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »
Question #7: The Snowman just placed this tile triggering the scoring of the big top. How many points does each player receive?

Answer #7: Each player will score 3 points per meeple on the tiles neighboring the circus space. Castles overlapping those tiles should be considered as well.

This said, Blue will receive points for the Blue Farmer, Red will receive points for the Red Castle Lord and the Red Acrobat, and Yellow will receive points for the Yellow Acrobat.

Note that:
* The meeples on castles are considered as indicated in the rules (see the interactions with Exp. 8 - Bridges, Castles & Bazaars)
* The scoring of the big top happens at the end of the scoring phase, after all the completed features have been scored and the meeples on them have been removed. This is sequence of actions is relevant in some scenarios (as shown in the scoring example in the Exp. 10 rules), but this not the case. The meeples involved in the scoring stay where they are.
* The big top scoring does not trigger the scoring of castles.

Bottomline:
- Blue will score 3 points (1 meeple x 3 points)
- Red will score 6 points (2 meeples x 3 points)
- Yellow will score 3 points (1 meeple x 3 points)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »
Question #8: Santa Claus places this tile and completes the road. Check the active scoring tile for roads. How many points does each player receive?

Answer #8: The tile completes a road a 4-tile road affected by the Street Fair scoring tile. The completion of the road will also trigger the scoring of the tollhouse and the neighboring castle.

The tollhouse will be scored first considering the large toll: Blue will score 10 points (2 point for the farmhouse + 2 point for the highwaymen + 6 points for the group of travelers)

The road will be scored after the tollhouse: Yellow will score 8 points for the road (4 tiles x 2 points per tile for the Street Fair scoring tile).

The castle occupied by the Yellow Meeple will score the same points as the road. It does not get any points from the tollhouse. So, Yellow will score another 8 points for the castle.

Bottomline:
- Blue scores 10 points for the tollhouse.
- Yellow scores 16 points in two separate events (8 points for the road and another 8 points for the castle).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:29:41 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »
Question #9: Danisthirty completed this magnificent city. Check the current scoring tile for cities. How many points does each player score?

PS: There are no large meeples in this question.

Answer #9: The city has two coats of arms so there it a tie between the Yellow Mayor and the 2 Red Regular Meeples. So both players score for the city.

Note that the city has 8 tiles, but two of them present semicircular segments discarded by the Bad Neighborhood scoring tile, so they will not be considered for the basic city scoring:
* The CFRR tile with the Yellow Mayor will not be considered in the tile count for the city.
* The CCFF tile with the Red Meeple at the far end will not be considered either since both semicircular segments are ignored.

The city is worth 32 points (24 points for the city itself + 8 points for the mage):
* Basic city scoring: (6 tiles + 2 coat of arms) x (2 points + 1 point for the cathedral) = 8 x 3 = 24 points
* Mage bonus = 8 tiles x 1 point = 8 points

Bottomline:
- Red scores 32 points
- Yellow scores 32 points
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:30:19 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
Question #10: How many points does each player score after The Grinch completed this road?

Note: Let's use the advanced variant rules for the Labyrinth!

Answer #10: There are two events happening in this scenario: The road network is completed but also the field with the shepherd is completely surrounded so its has to be scored too. The shepherd is scored in phase 2. Placing a meeple and the road is scored in phase 3. Scoring a feature.

We will explain here the result applying the rules for C1 Halflings (as clarified in 10/2015). At the end, we explain the difference with the results if applying the rules for C2 Halflings (as clarified in 1/2021).

C1 Halflings rules

1) Scoring the shepherd

Red extends the field with their shepherd. Then he/she may grow their flock or score it right away. If Red grows their flock, it will be scored anyway, since tile completes the field (it is completely surrounded by city, road segments and the exterior of the labyrinth).

Note: I was interested in the scoring of the shepherd no matter what. So option a) was good enough for the answer. Congrats to those considering all the options.  :(y) :(y)

The following actions may happen:
a) Red score the shepherd right away and receive 6 points (3 points for the sheep tokens + 3 points for the printed sheep).
b) Red grow your flock and draw a token with 1-4 sheep, and then score your shepherd receiving from 7 to 10 points depending on the token you draw (3 points for the sheep tokens + 3 points for the printed sheep + 1-4 points for the sheep on the token just drawn).
c) Red grow your flock and draw a wolf token, so you score no points.

The shepherd will be removed and the sheep tokens will be returned to the cloth bag for future draws.

2) Scoring the road

The road has:
- 10 tiles (including two Halfling tiles sharing the same space)
- 1 bathhouse
- 1 labyrinth tile
- 2 watchtowers

2.1) Scoring  watchtowers

Watchtowers are scored before the completed feature triggering their scoring.

There are two watchtowers on the road but only one with the Blue is scored. It complies with the requirement to be scored: the meeple on the watchtower tile is placed on a road segment belonging to the completed road. Note that the majority in the feature does not apply to watchtowers. The meeple on the watchtower tile received the bonus.

The other watchtower is not scored for this road, since there is no meeple placed on the road segment on the watchtower tile connected to the road network.

So, Blue will score 4 points, that is, 1 point per tile with road segments neighboring the watchtower. Those tiles include the watchtower tile itself, the labyrinth tile and two more tiles with roads.

2.2) Scoring the road network itself

Red has the majority in the road (2 meeples), since Yellow and Blue have only one meeple each. The Yellow Builder is not taken into consideration when calculating the majority. It is not a meeple.

So only Red will score points for the road network, which is worth 23 points (10 + 5 + 8 points):
* 10 points for the road (10 tiles x 1 point per tile). Note: The watchtower tile with the Blue Meeple is counted once even if it participates in the road network twice.
* 8 points for the meeples on the road network with the labyrinth (4 meeples x 2 points per meeple). Note the builder is not considered here, since it is not a meeple; it is a special figure.   

No meeple will be moved to the bathhouse, since this scoring involves more than one meeple.

Bottomline:
- Blue scores 4 points for the watchtower.
- Red may score:
   a) 29 points in two separate scoring events and rounds of scoring (6 points for the shepherd and 23 points for the road), if the shepherd is scored right away.
   b) 30-33 points in two separate scoring events and rounds of scoring (7-10 points for the shepherd and 23 points for the road), if Red expands their flock and draws a sheep token.
   c) 23 points for the road, if Red expands their flock and draws a wolf token.
- Yellow scores no points.

C2 Halflings rules

If considering the C2 Halfling rules where two Halflings share the same square are counted as one tile. As a result, the scoring for the road would be 1 point less, since the road is scored as a 9-tile road.

Bottomline:
- Blue scores 4 points for the watchtower.
- Red may score:
   a) 28 points in two separate scoring events and rounds of scoring (6 points for the shepherd and 22 points for the road), if the shepherd is scored right away.
   b) 29-32 points in two separate scoring events and rounds of scoring (7-10 points for the shepherd and 22 points for the road), if Red expands their flock and draws a sheep token.
   c) 22 points for the road, if Red expands their flock and draws a wolf token.
- Yellow scores no points.

EDIT: Updated to consider the C2 rules as clarified in 1/2021.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:46:51 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline carlium

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 25
  • I haven't updated my profile yet! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
 :( was I the only one who saw a semicircular city segment here?  :'(

https://i.ibb.co/H4ScLhN/Annotation-2020-12-29-154836.jpg
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:09:58 PM by carlium »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
:( was I the only one who saw a semicircular city segment here?  :'(

I think there is a problem with the image you tried to embed...

Offline carlium

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
hmmm, that is weird, bbimg has never failed me, thanks for letting me know. I was talking about this tile Meepledrone:
https://wikicarpedia.com/images/8/80/Abbey_And_Mayor_C2_Tile_E.jpg

I considered this a semicircular segment and this modify my scoring of course.

(https://i.ibb.co/H4ScLhN/Annotation-2020-12-29-154836.jpg)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:10:50 PM by carlium »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2020, 01:18:52 PM »
hmmm, that is weird bbimg has never failed me, thanks for letting me know. I was talking about this tile Meepledrone:
https://wikicarpedia.com/images/8/80/Abbey_And_Mayor_C2_Tile_E.jpg

I considered this a semicircular segment and this modify my scoring of course.

The rules tell you to discard semicircular segments like the ones in the base game, that would be the same type you may use to build a castle. So you discard the tile for the basic scoring of the city if all the city segments contributed by the tile have this shape.

Bad Neighborhood | During the scoring of a city, these completing city segments are not part of the scoring and do not get you any points.

In this case, even if you discard the semicircular by error, you should consider the tile due to the other city segment on it.  >:D

Hope this helps.

Offline carlium

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
Yes I considered the tile but not the shield in that segment  :o

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
The rules tell you to discard semicircular segments like the ones in the base game, that would be the same type you may use to build a castle. So you discard the tile for the basic scoring of the city if all the city segments contributed by the tile have this shape.

Agreed  ;)

In this case, even if you discard the semicircular by error, you should consider the tile due to the other city segment on it.  >:D

But if you discard the semicircular part by error, you discard the pennant as well, so the scoring is indeed different  :o

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »

Agreed  ;)

But if you discard the semicircular part by error, you discard the pennant as well, so the scoring is indeed different  :o

Yes, this is another matter...  >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXIII

Started by Meepledrone

206 Replies
Last post January 24, 2024, 03:47:00 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII

Started by Meepledrone

331 Replies
Last post May 15, 2023, 12:09:47 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVI

Started by danisthirty

102 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 09:07:40 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX