Author Topic: Meeplesource selling phantoms in EIGHTEEN different colours!  (Read 10748 times)

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
Meeplesource selling phantoms in EIGHTEEN different colours!
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »

http://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?cat=45&utm_source=MS%3A+Stupid%2C+octagons%2C+sticks%2C+vineyard+tees&utm_campaign=10-6-17+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

They have the classics: red, yellow, blue, green, grey, black; the alt colours: white, orange, purple, pink, brown, and 'unpainted' (amber coloured, here); and the website's signature set of meeple colours: lime, lavender, turquoise, salmon, tan and sky blue.

They're for sale individually, in bulk, or as a set of 18; and they're available in the standard 16mm or mini-meeple sized 12mm. Stock is described as 'very limited', though, so get em while they're around.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3572.0
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:00:38 PM by ooh_jim »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Meeplesource selling phantoms in EIGHTEEN different colours!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Wow! That is a lot of colours to choose from! Thanks!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Dang. Beat me too it. Still, guess we can finally buy our Phantoms!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Got mine!

They have 1000 of each colour so will run out quickly for sure!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »
Yup -- I'm in. Got their email today and jumped right on it. :)

Makes me sad, though, that I had already bought some other, too-thin, less-official-looking, not-enough-colors acrylic meeps earlier this year. Those will basically go in the junk drawer now, but so be it. At least now I don't have to try using Sharpies to color the extra clear ones I bought ... that always seemed a dubious path of desperation, but until now it was my only option.

This is a really nice assortment from MeepleSource, and pretty economical too in spite of having to buy many more colors than I actually need. But man, will it ever be nice to have phantoms for every possible color and a fully-differentiated Teacher (prob'ly use the salmon one, I think) that are all in the same style. With so many extras, all different, I may even use a few of these for a fan-expansion that I was planning to base around the Norse Foundry metal meeples.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
Thx ooh_jim - ordered them  :)

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
Just bought mine!  :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :gray-meeple:
Thanks ooh_jim, +1 merit from me!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
Can't afford them but bought them anyway

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »

That's pretty much me getting caught up on the Carc-I stuff I've missed since going off the grid back in, oh, about 2012 I guess. I finally bit the bullet and invested $93 U.S. in Big Box 5. Luckily/unluckily for me there was a shipping issue and I got a refund for the shipping, so it wasn't quite that bad. But man alive ... youch! on that pricetag. I already had all the expansions, but between the revised River, WoF, and wanting a box large enough to hold all my stuff, I finally caved in. And I have to say, it is nice to finally have watermarks for the early expansions and be able to (almost) put together a big game where the grass matches. Unfortunately, with the arrival of the WoF tiles my OCD is forcing me to design a variant for them that isn't nearly so random as the official Wheel mechanic.

Wait, what was this thread again? Phantoms? Oh yeah, the relevance of all that typing diarrhea is that I ordered two sets of MeepleSource phantoms because I'm now keeping two separate sets: a normal base-game set and a WoF base-game set (without the 12 extra boring tiles, probably). Since I seem to keep accidentally ending up with duplicates of things, I'll probably have two full runs, someday.

Anyway, placing that order yesterday led me to the thought that ...

Two Phantoms per Player

... could lead to some interesting/goofy ideas. One would be that instead of the "phantom/entourage," your two identical, translucent figures could be called your Schrödingers. You deploy each one like a phantom (as a normal move-wood action or as the free additional move-wood action, even deploying both on the same turn if you really want to), but their positions on the board are only potential. They aren't really "there," at least not yet.

While you have only one Schrödinger on the map, it's not really there at all. All rules and gameplay effects ignore it. It cannot score, block other figures, move via Festival, etc. Only when you have both Schrödingers in play does it then become possible to "look in the box" and determine which one of them represents the real position you deployed to.

While both are in play, each time a situation arises where somebody wants to do something that would affect or be affected by one of your Schrödingers (its feature is getting completed and scored, or any player wants to deploy to that feature, or somebody wants to capture it from a tower or involve it in a catapult seduction, or ... whatever) then you have to look in the box to decide which one of your Schrödingers is real. That is, you must replace one of your Schrödingers with a normal, standard follower from the supply and then return both Schrödingers to the supply. (If you have no standard followers available, too bad — just send both Schrödingers home.) If this blocks the other player's announced intentions, then they have to do something different. Otherwise, they have to follow through with what they said, even if your decision isn't what they were hoping for.

You cannot just arbitrarily "look in the box" because you want your Schrödingers back; a legitimate game action has to be declared that would require resolving the Schrödingers.

Anyway, I haven't done a proper design investigation on this, but there's the basic idea. Which, uh, actually belongs in the Variant Workshop; sorry.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:45:01 PM by Just a Bill »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »

Well done Rosco. That's the spirit! :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 02:08:14 AM »
It's ok Rosco, you know it's worth it!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
It's ok Rosco, you know it's worth it!
Considering I have been begging you for this info for ages!  I am guessing this was the inside scoop you had was it?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
I can neither deny nor confirm I knew anything about this.

I can confirm I didn't find out bout it starting until Jim let us know.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 04:11:32 AM »
I too just ordered a set today. Merit to Jim for bringing that up!

I really "need" only 2 of them to go with the 2 extra colours of meeple I have, but it was cheaper to get a full colour set, then just the 2 colours, which would come with 10 pieces per colour anyway. I guess, I will eventually trade away the extra colours in a BGG math trade, so this might become a quite cheap deal, anyway.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
Got mine today! Very pleased.

(Scroll right to see the bag of 10 hellgrün acrylics.)

As stated on the MeepleSource website, some of them are very close in color; but I can still tell 'em apart, and I like having a lot of variety for playing around with variants.

Hmm, seeing this in high resolution on my screen, I just now noticed that one of my clears has a defective arm. :(

I think I'll call the one at the very lower left of the left-most bag "Ginger"; she's the color of ginger ale.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:48:49 AM by Just a Bill »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cundco news: Teachers in 13 different colours!

Started by Mr Meeple

36 Replies
Last post August 12, 2020, 01:48:30 AM
by gabrielgeek
xx
Phantoms for new colours - The Usual Suspects

Started by Decar

91 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 02:26:50 AM
by Decar
xx
Teachers vs. Phantoms (6 colours)

Started by danisthirty

17 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 03:41:38 AM
by Decar
xx
Sometimes what you are buying is not exactly what the other guy is selling.

Started by loki

0 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 12:43:40 PM
by loki
xx
Selling: Spiel 15, 16 and 21 Tiles (together)

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 09:51:44 AM
by Halfling