Author Topic: Can the large follower use the flying machine?  (Read 9948 times)

Offline Dozer3677

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Can the large follower use the flying machine?
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
Hello. This has caused some confusion amongst friends and I just wanted some clarification. Has anyone else had this discussion before? Can the large follower use the flying machine? My understanding of the rules would be that it can because it is treated as a normal follower until scoring. Thank you for your help.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1622.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Can the large follower use the flying machine?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Yes, any Follower can use the Flying Machine, assuming there is an appropriate feature for that Follower to land upon. Thus, the Wagon can use the machine to reach roads, the Mayor to reach cities, the Abbot to reach Cloisters or vineyards, and the Phantom to reach anything. The Big Follower is a normal Follower in all senses of the rules, except that it counts as two for the purposes of breaking ties and claiming disputed features.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
Yes, any Follower can use the Flying Machine, assuming there is an appropriate feature for that Follower to land upon. Thus, the Wagon can use the machine to reach roads, the Mayor to reach cities, the Abbot to reach Cloisters or vineyards, and the Phantom to reach anything. The Big Follower is a normal Follower in all senses of the rules, except that it counts as two for the purposes of breaking ties and claiming disputed features.

The Wagon can fly into roads, cities and cloisters, the Abbot can reach cloisters and Gardens.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:35 AM »
GARDENS! That's what it was. I knew vineyards were wrong—those are from Hills & Sheep. And I wasn't certain on the Wagons, so I kept it simple. Things just have to be connected to the roads, that's right.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
Interestingly, the rules for the Flier explicitly state that the only valid landing points are roads, cities, and cloisters. I think the intent of this was to prevent landing on a field or a movement feature (magic portal or another flying machine), and gardens hadn't been planted in the world of Carcassonne yet, but strictly the abbot might not be able to land on gardens. This would have to be officially clarified.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:25:44 AM »
And I wasn't certain on the Wagons, so I kept it simple. Things just have to be connected to the roads, that's right.

Unless the abbey is involved :)

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
I spoke too soon about the abbot using a flying machine to land on a garden. This is legal per the clarifications that kettlefish just gave us (#10 in the list).

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
Can I make a slightly off-topic observation?

It appears that HiG believes that Carcassonne 2.0 is completely compatible with the old artwork. Many of us, including me, disagree.

By raising these types of questions with them (i.e. interactions between features of Carcassonne 1.0 and 2.0), aren't we encouraging their viewpoint of compatibility and/or giving Carcassonne 2.0 a sort of CarcassonneCentral 'approval'? I'd like to think that as some of the game's biggest fans, our view can have a (small) impact on the future of the game.

Does anyone agree with me or is it time that I gave up on fighting against the new artwork? :)

Offline Dozer3677

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:58 AM »
Thank you all for the awesome replies. I got a thoughtful answer and learned even more about the flying machine. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
And I wasn't certain on the Wagons, so I kept it simple. Things just have to be connected to the roads, that's right.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "connected to the roads", but I don't believe this is true either. There's nothing illegal about placing the wagon in the ffff cloister for example, you just don't get to use the special post-scoring movement ability of the wagon in that case.

By raising these types of questions with them (i.e. interactions between features of Carcassonne 1.0 and 2.0), aren't we encouraging their viewpoint of compatibility and/or giving Carcassonne 2.0 a sort of CarcassonneCentral 'approval'? I'd like to think that as some of the game's biggest fans, our view can have a (small) impact on the future of the game.

Does anyone agree with me or is it time that I gave up on fighting against the new artwork? :)
I'm with you, jungleboy. I don't think this is something to be encouraged.

That said, it's also our responsibility as a community to provide answers to those questions if we can, so in that sense I'm glad they're being asked.

But I shudder to think of what's going to happen for rules interactions when/if they re-release I&C as "Inns & Cathedrals & Florists" where the abbots can go to buy plants to plant in their gardens and hope they don't get eaten by another player's rabbit (new figures included for the Carc 2.0 release) before they are scored.

Offline Dozer3677

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:16:43 AM »
Hey jungleboy,

I just read your response about mixing versions and artwork. I do this frequently when playing, often mixing winter edition and standard expansions together. What I do is, I have a custom crown royal reserve bag that I mix all the tiles into. So we just draw tiles from the bag. It looks a little mish-mashed with snow and grass, but the gameplay is still the same. So I don't mind the different artworks. I understand people that do not want to mix versions and artwork. To each their own. But as a late discoverer of this game, I realize I may never be able to acquire original versions. At the same time, I want to try all expansions and versions I can, so if it takes mixing some versions, that is what I have to do.

Thank you all again for answering my questions and showing me there is a place for people to have serious discussions about this awesome game, all the while keeping it fun. I've enjoyed scanning through the threads. Take care.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
I'm with you, jungleboy. I don't think this is something to be encouraged.

That said, it's also our responsibility as a community to provide answers to those questions if we can, so in that sense I'm glad they're being asked.

But I shudder to think of what's going to happen for rules interactions when/if they re-release I&C as "Inns & Cathedrals & Florists" where the abbots can go to buy plants to plant in their gardens and hope they don't get eaten by another player's rabbit (new figures included for the Carc 2.0 release) before they are scored.

:(y)

Don't forget the convention centre - that most medieval of buildings!

So I don't mind the different artworks. I understand people that do not want to mix versions and artwork. To each their own.

Yes, of course. There is definitely divided opinion on this subject. I wish I didn't mind mixing versions ... but I do and I can't help it. :)

But as a late discoverer of this game, I realize I may never be able to acquire original versions. At the same time, I want to try all expansions and versions I can, so if it takes mixing some versions, that is what I have to do.

It does seem like even some of the early major expansions are becoming a bit difficult to acquire (e.g. I&C and T&B in England according to some members here). But I think if you try to get them now you should be able to get at least all the large expansions fairly easily. The spielbox/GQ#11 expansions are a bit trickier but people still seem to be getting them! For example, I found the GQ#11 expansion in a games shop in Barcelona a few months ago, and kettlefish recently hinted that the Tunnels might become more easily available soon.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
Can I make a slightly off-topic observation?

It appears that HiG believes that Carcassonne 2.0 is completely compatible with the old artwork. Many of us, including me, disagree.

I'm with you!  Give me liberty or give me death!  :blue-meeple:
Flee the fleas.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Can a follower, using a flying machine, land on a tile occupied by a Mage?

Started by ac1982

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2022, 11:52:48 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
When can I use escaped besieged meeples?

Started by PapaGeek

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2022, 11:58:06 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Messenger - Score a follower and remove it from the board - 2 farmers

Started by Allan in Brisbane

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2017, 02:06:49 PM
by Allan in Brisbane
xx
Allowing follower placement on ANY unclaimed tile