Author Topic: Can the Flier fly over empty spaces?  (Read 899 times)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Can the Flier fly over empty spaces?
« on: January 18, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »
Someone asked this question on the BGG Facebook group. If you place a flying machine tile and roll a 3, and a tile exists at that location, but there is a gap in between, can the Flier go over the gap? I didn’t see any existing clarification about this on WICA, but I would imagine it to be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6248.0

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Flier fly over empty spaces?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:17 PM »
We have always followed the reply from Meepledrone that was posted in the comment section for the tower expansion:
Example 1

Example 2

Meepledrone's response was
Example 2 is correct.

You take into consideration tiles and empty square spaces when calculating the tower (square tiles being considered in this case only). "This reach goes beyond empty spaces on the board" is explaining the case of the tile numbered as 2 at the bottom. The bottom stretch from the tower has a empty space at distance 1 and a tile at distance 2. The empty space will not prevent you from capturing a meeple place on tile at distance 2 "beyond an empty space".

Note there may be several empty square spaces and each one will be considered when calculating the tower range.

and those are the rules that we follow for any movement over empty spaces.

Our group of four has discussed a house rule for this situation, if you land on an empty square, your meeple falls out of the game, and you don't get it back!  But that is NOT what meepledrone was saying in his response for the tower.
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 02:28:26 AM »
Someone asked this question on the BGG Facebook group. If you place a flying machine tile and roll a 3, and a tile exists at that location, but there is a gap in between, can the Flier go over the gap? I didn’t see any existing clarification about this on WICA, but I would imagine it to be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flier is flying, so he can go also over empty area. Issue is, if tile exists in rolled distance, and and there is any unfinished feature where can be placed an meeple. Everything else is irrelevant!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 05:32:16 AM »
I have just re-read my German rules. This exact situation is not described.
The rules focus on the landing tile only (if there IS a tile, if the features are unoccupied or if there is only a field).
Since these are flying machines and only the landing tile is important, I agree with Bumsakalaka: what is between the starting tile and the landing tile is of no importance whatsoever.

So the anwer to the initial question would be: yes, you can fly over gaps.  :D

By the way: we have always played like this.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 02:27:25 PM »
We have an example that covers flying machines and square gaps as part of the clarifications about Halflings. The example in C1 was provided by Kettlefish to illustrate how to deal with triangular gaps comapring them with square gaps... I include the C2 version to show it is also valid.

Check the section about Flying Machines here:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings#Other_expansions

Example 1:  This image shows how square tiles and holes are considered when calculating the flier distance for a horizontal trajectory. This example follows the official rules.

We should include this also in the Flying Machine rules, right? ;)

Note: The issue is that depending on the context, HiG sometines uses the term "tile" to indicate [empty] spaces, for example, when describing the vicinity/fief of a castle. So this may b the same case for flying machine trayectories or tower ranges. Haven't we discussed other dualities such as the one affecting the term "follower" or "meeple" in the past? It may refer to "normal meeple" or to "any meeple" depending on the context... >:D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 02:33:01 PM »
We have always followed the reply from Meepledrone that was posted in the comment section for the tower expansion:
Example 1

Example 2

Meepledrone's response was
Example 2 is correct.

You take into consideration tiles and empty square spaces when calculating the tower (square tiles being considered in this case only). "This reach goes beyond empty spaces on the board" is explaining the case of the tile numbered as 2 at the bottom. The bottom stretch from the tower has a empty space at distance 1 and a tile at distance 2. The empty space will not prevent you from capturing a meeple place on tile at distance 2 "beyond an empty space".

Note there may be several empty square spaces and each one will be considered when calculating the tower range.

and those are the rules that we follow for any movement over empty spaces.

Our group of four has discussed a house rule for this situation, if you land on an empty square, your meeple falls out of the game, and you don't get it back!  But that is NOT what meepledrone was saying in his response for the tower.

Yep, Example 2 is the correct approach. The tower range considers spaces in the grid no matter if occupied by a tile or not.  The same happens with flying machine trajectories. They consider spaces in the grid no matter if occupied or not.

When dealing with double-sizd tiles and Halfings in C2, both towers and flying machines count squire spaces, maybe occupied by one or two Halflings or half a double-sized tile. Lovely, isn't it?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
HAVE: Empty Big Box WANT: Empty Standard Box

Started by AntisocialOcelot

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 12:11:13 PM
by Rosco
xx
Fly to a tile with buildingmaster/architect

Started by marcootje

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2024, 10:03:34 AM