Author Topic: Newbie question re roads/villages  (Read 5530 times)

Offline trannymatt

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Newbie question re roads/villages
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
Hi, my family are new to Carcassonne and have only been playing for less than a month. The core set rules state that the end of a road is closed when it meets a village and so playing with the River mini-expansion and the tile with a straight road going over a bridge and through a village we took it to mean that the village separated the road into two parts, one on each side of it.

However, on the front page of the instructions for Inns & Cathedrals there is an example for "Scoring a road with an inn on it" for which the picture shows this tile being used as the middle tile in a 5-tile road, as if the village does not exist or otherwise has no relevance.

Which is correct, the core rules stating roads end at villages or the Inns & Cathedrals example?

Put another way, in the picture do the five tile show two completed roads of three tiles each, or one completed road of five tiles?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2432.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Newbie question re roads/villages
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
Below the row of 5 tiles there is a sentence explaining it's 1 road scoring 10 points.

Hope this helps!

I.e. it's one road and the bridge does not separate the road segments on either sides.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
That river and road tile has a shitty crappy design. I never noticed it - but the villages are on the 3 and 4 road tiles. I think if the road is not interrupted it is one road, so this is only one road. The German rules say a completed road might end in a village - but this road doesn't end in the village, the road runs through the village, there is no end. Think of two villages at the road ...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:52:28 AM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
Welcome to the forums trannymatt, that's a good question!

Saying that roads always end at villages seems like a dodgy way to determine when a road is complete. It's also not the case. It's definitely one road i.e. the road doesn't end at the village and is worth 10 points in the example given, but they seem to be contradicting themselves in the rules so I can understand how easily this mistake could be made... :(

In most cases, you can tell when a road ends because you can see that it is physically closed by looking at the tile artwork. Villages are just decorations really, it's usually more obvious where a road actually ends as is the case in the example of the 10-point road where the actual ends are.

Hope this helps!

Offline trannymatt

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
Ahhhh.... so the key wording in the core rules is that "the end of a road is closed when it meets a village".... that makes sense. There is no junction, no "end", and thus the road does continue.

Thanks folks  :))

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Newbie with Dragon question

Started by JacquesZ

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 12:00:38 PM
by JacquesZ
xx
newbie question about scoring

Started by ngkeith

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 08:12:27 AM