Carc Central Community > Community Rules (Meepledrone & Friends)

Base Game - Table edges

<< < (2/11) > >>

wolnic:
Using a tablecloth or table protector allows the world to shift slightly if required … especially if there’s only room for half a tile …

NGC 54:
It is geometry. The space is infinite, so the edge of the table is inexistent.

DIN0:
The official answer was always option 2 - cannot continue and remains open. The fact that map edges close features is a special property of Maps as expansions - an expansion rule. Nothing more.

Willem:
we would often try to allow for tiles to be placed, by moving all the tiles along, or slightly overlapping, but there is a limit. It doesn't go on forever, and features are left open at the edge

danisthirty:
I mostly play online so table edges aren't a problem! ;)

In most of the competitions I've played in, players are almost always willing to let the game continue unhindered by moving the tiles back to the centre of the table if a lack of space prevents a tile from being placed. It might take a couple of minutes, but it's easy enough to do if you're careful (especially if there's a tablecloth) and I think this is best in keeping with the spirit of the game since the rules of Carcassonne don't specify a minimum table size. However, I have also experienced players (well, a player) who refused to allow this because they were using it to their advantage in building my features towards the edge of the table so that I couldn't complete them. Apparently this was a rule that the organisers of the tournament were enforcing, but because they hadn't announced it at the start, nobody was particularly aware of it (except my opponent who had made a point of asking them privately) and most players in similar situations were doing the reasonable thing and simply resetting the landscape.

So all things considered, my preference is to reset the landscape if possible, but whatever the decision is, to make sure everyone is aware of it at the start of the game/ competition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version