Ghettos
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 10:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghettos  (Read 18313 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

Before I move on to Dragon's Nest, here's a quick expansion.  I was originally gonna do shrines in abbey walls, but Whaleyland decided to claim that idea (well, that's his right to do so!) so it forced me to do some serious thinking.  Basically this expansion will just have abbey walls with a city inside it - aka a ghetto of some sort.  The tile is played in exactly the same way as the abbey with the exception that since it does not contain an abbey/cloister, a follower may not be deployed to the tile.  However since I'm in the mood to be nasty, the player that plays the ghetto may choose another player who must deploy a follower (normal or big only) into the ghetto.  That follower is stuck in the ghetto until the end of the game (and can only be removed by the dragon, or captured by the tower, etc.).  There will be other rules (such as the player chosen decides which follower to place in the ghetto - including the follower of another player that he/she has captured with the tower!)  The ghetto scores no points when completed or at the end of the game.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »

That sounds interesting... and yes, nasty!   Smiley

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »

Here's the tile.

Edit: Replaced with the new tile.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:31:03 PM by Novelty » Logged

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

The concept of this is an interesting one. I like the idea of forcing another player to play into the Ghetto. However, what I am not so keen on is the tile itself. Perhaps a different coloured border would be better than the orange, to distinguish completely between the Abbey and Ghetto.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »

Perhaps a different coloured border would be better than the orange, to distinguish completely between the Abbey and Ghetto.
The border consists of the roofs of the buildings.  Granted, those may also be made a different colour.  I'll see what I can do.  The reason I left it at orange is because I wanted more options (i.e. colours) left available for other ideas, and there are quite a few brewing out there I'm sure.

Edit: Added the new tile above.  I thought a "dirtier" colour of orange would work better for ghettos!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:31:36 PM by Novelty » Logged

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:03 PM »

Now it looks like the graveyard! Joking- I like the brown... this quite a nice idea...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »

Now it looks like the graveyard!
The graveyard brown is a darker brown, almost black.  This more orange milk chocolate Smiley

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »

I realised that... sort of...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »

That is better. I like the brown Smiley
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »

And here are the draft rules.  Comments welcomed.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 03:43:19 AM »

I don't see any problems with the rules. This is an excellent expansion, Nov. I really like it.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:09:34 AM »

Looks good, but with abbeys and ghettos, it could become far too easy to fill in 'holes'...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:55:16 AM »

I don't see any problems with the rules. This is an excellent expansion, Nov. I really like it.
Thanks!  I'm glad at least one person likes it.  I went back and designed this around the german game elements
1. It must be simple - well, this is "almost" the abbey that it would be simple to anyone who's used to playing the abbey.
2. It must add something new - Well, trapping another person's followers has been done before with The Prison, Stocks, etc. but this allows another person to trap a 3rd party's followers, which was a new twist.
3. It must not reward the leader, but must instead help the underdog - well, guess who would most likely be the target of the ghetto - yes, the leader, and that may level the playing field enough for the underdog to catch up with the leader.

Looks good, but with abbeys and ghettos, it could become far too easy to fill in 'holes'...
Not when there's more holes than abbeys!  This becomes a lot more apparently when playing with just Forests and Fishermen as seen in the example below.

There were only 3 players in the game and many a time each one of us wished we had more abbeys!

Edit: I guess I'll move it to public downloads.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:40:46 AM by Novelty » Logged

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

That is better. I like the brown Smiley
Ditto...  My wife said she really likes it too, and she's an artist.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:40:08 PM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 02:13:04 AM »

It looks great. Sorry I wasn't here to help make this quick expansion. I've been traveling for the past week and had no internet, and forgot to tell anyone on CarcCentral. My bad. I'm back in the USA permanently now, though, so I've lost my access to cheap blank Carc tiles.

Anywho, my reply is mostly to:

I don't know about all of you, but I rarely actually play with the A&M expansion. It's nothing personal really, since it includes nice tiles that don't have any specific features on them, but I just don't, perhaps because I feel that the barn is too powerful. Anyway, my point is that it only becomes 'far too easy to fill in "holes"' if you are playing with A&M, otherwise, it is a perfect expansion with very little negative visual effect, especially since the brown probably blends much nicer than the bright orange (bad choice, HiG, bad choice!).

Great expansion, Novelty, I'll have it printed out as soon as I have to time to start printing things out again. I'll also get to work on those Pagan Temples-shrine-abbey thingies. Again, anyone have a good quality scan of an Abbey tile on cardback? I never took scans when I punched mine and have since thrown away the cardbacks. Maybe BGG has one...

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: