Angler and Fish Farms
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 05:55:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Angler and Fish Farms  (Read 14433 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:03:22 AM »

I wanted to take a quick break from Mountains, so here's a new expansion that has been in the plan for a while.

The Angler, of course, is the Robber Baron for Rivers.
Fish Farms are basically two tiles with a lake in between and 4 rivers leading out of the lake, with the tournament stakes in the middle of the lake.

The expansion will have 3 tiles, but one of the river tile will be a duplicate of the other.

Here's the Angler tile with image lifted from the box of T&B and G,K&K, and slightly modified:

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:08:17 AM »

Wow... looks quite nice. I want to find a way to make rivers even more now...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:19:31 AM »

I'll work on this expansion next.  I only need to make the Tournament/Fish farm tile and write up the rules.  Hopefully, it'll be ready by this weekend as well.

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »

Novelty, I think you should make the background of the Angler tile a bit less opaque, because the Angler is slightly faded while the background is very crisp, which is the opposite of what should happen. It may held the Angler blend a bit better with the background too. Otherwise, I like the idea, although I never was good at using the King and Robber Baron (or any related expansion).

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »

Thanks Whaley.  I didn't notice that.  I've changed it and have included it below.

Here's the tiles and the draft version of the rules.  And once this is completed, my original plan for the Fishermen series will have been completed.  Of course, more expansions can still be made if the need arises!

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

This looks good, I like it.

Flee the fleas!
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

Novelty, could you email me or upload the .psd file for the Angler tile? I want to try something. I am still not perfectly happy with the blend. It's nothing personal, but I am picky about these things. If not, that's okay. Thanks!

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »

In the rules, you mention a player can choose not to take their follower back from a completed river, why would anyone do that? And also, just a minor point, in your angler tile, you have one colour and one black and white side. The *official* king and robber baron have colour on both sides. A minor point, but, like Whaleyland, I'm very picky...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

In the rules, you mention a player can choose not to take their follower back from a completed river, why would anyone do that?
To ensure they retain the fish farm.  There are 4 rivers connected to the fish farm, when one is scored and fishermen are removed, it might affect the fish farm.

As to the black and white, I guess it's just to remind people that the tile has a different back than normal tiles.  To make 2 coloured sides, just print it again if you're picky when you're making the tiles.

Whaley, sent.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »

In the rules, you mention a player can choose not to take their follower back from a completed river, why would anyone do that?
To ensure they retain the fish farm.  There are 4 rivers connected to the fish farm, when one is scored and fishermen are removed, it might affect the fish farm.

Ah, good point. I never thought of that.... I like this expansion. There are now tournaments for cities, farms, forests and rivers...

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:41 AM »

Okay, I tried to mess with the picture a bit but to no avail. I think the image looks pretty good as is. I mostly just didn't entirely like the blending, since the image qualities are slightly different. But after tweaking the various blending modes, filters, and whatnot, I couldn't make it look any better blended. Sorry. I hadn't realized before that you made the fishing rod for the image. I like it!

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:09:50 AM »

I hadn't realized before that you made the fishing rod for the image. I like it!
Thanks.  Well, I had to remove the scroll and draw the fish in as well.  I also had to fill back in part of the cape that was originally obstructed by the scroll bag, and draw in that guy's right arm (which was obstructed by the scroll).  It wasn't as easy as it seems I'm afraid, and I'm sorry you couldn't make it look any better.  I suspect it's because I got two lousy scans from BGG instead of getting proper scans myself.  One of these days I've gotta reinstate my scanner!

Edit: Thanks to Whaleyland who suggested that I scan my BB2 instructions, I got a better background for the tile.  The new tiles are available from the Public Downloads.  Have fun downloading.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:01:53 AM by Novelty » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: