Monastaries
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 03:59:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Monastaries  (Read 24236 times)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »

A ressurection of a very old idea of mine, not sure how it would work, if it doesn't work I guess I can scrap it...

It occured to me that there are no cloister-only pieces. These would be a wooden piece that each player gets, and looks a bit like a barn. A player may place on an intersection of any four tiles (unlike a barn, which needed fields in the corners). Any monks (cloister or abbey, not cult) within those four tiles (1st zone) get removed immediately and scored as in end game scoring (1 point per surrounding tile). Same with the 12 tiles surrounding those four (2nd zone). Cloisters/ abbeys in either zone may not be claimed (including wagon moving, the count and magic gate). If any cloisters are completed in either zone they are not immediately scored, but at the end of the game for each cloister in the 2nd zone gets scored as 2 points per surrounding tile and cloister, and 1st zone at 3 points per tile these points go to the owner of the monastery. The monastery stays there until the end of the game and may not be removed by catapult, tower or dragon. Two monastaries may not be placed where the 1st zone overlaps, but the 2nd zone may overlap.The monastery does not affect cults/ challenges in any way, and does not allow a knight to escape a beseiged city.

Opinions? Worth making?

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »

It sounds interesting to me.  I like the four-corner dynamic of the barn.  I even have a good piece in mind for you.  In the Castle version on Carcassonne, each player receives a piece that resembles a church building with a tall steeple.  I can't remember what it's for as I've not played that version of the game for quite a while now.  I only remember it because I resently decided to cannibalize the set to make fan-mades and used one of the light colored followers as the Leper.  I thought it might be nice to come up with a use for that figure.  I think you've got it.  I assume that you will need one for each player?

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

Yes, each player requires one... I was considering the city piece from catan but that doesn't come in all the colours (unless you buy a special set).

Does the church piece come in all 6 colours?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »

No it only comes in black and white, as the Castle is only for two players.  The Catan piece would be interesting.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »

I hate painting wooden pieces... I think that Catan might be the best bet... you can order different colours (including the 3 carcassonne not included in official versions) from spielmaterial...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »

I agree with you that the catan pieces probably would be better.  Make it a suggestion to use the Catan pieces in the rules.  Added to the development list.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »

Any questions/ comments on the rules?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:52:42 PM »

What happens if a shrine is challenging a cloister and the monastery removes one of them?  Will the monastery now challenge the shrine?

Also, related to the above, can the monastery challenge the shrine?

How do they interact with missionaries or breweries?

What type of tile corners can the monastery be placed on?

Is the monastery placement the same as for barn placement?

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »

1. The challenge is over, as a monastery is scored at the end of the game, like a barn.
2. See above.
3. Breweries have no effect, monasteries cannot be converted.
4. Any four corners (city, field or forest).
5. Yes, except not just farm corners (see above)

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »

No it only comes in black and white, as the Castle is only for two players.  The Catan piece would be interesting.
Yeah, I assumed one might have to get several and paint them.

I hate painting wooden pieces... I think that Catan might be the best bet...
I agree, painting is tedious.  What catan piece did you have in mind, the settlement or the city?

you can order different colours (including the 3 carcassonne not included in official versions) from spielmaterial...
I don't know that I've seen these, what are the colors?

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »

I'm not keen on this idea. It is too similar to the barn, and seems strange to have a wooden piece when there are already cloisters, abbeys, and cathedrals on tiles.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

you can order different colours (including the 3 carcassonne not included in official versions) from spielmaterial...
I don't know that I've seen these, what are the colors?
I might have been asleep when I read this.  I think I understand now.

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »

I'm not keen on this idea. It is too similar to the barn, and seems strange to have a wooden piece when there are already cloisters, abbeys, and cathedrals on tiles.

I wasn't too sure if it would work... if other people agree I'll just scrap the idea...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »

seems strange to have a wooden piece when there are already cloisters, abbeys, and cathedrals on tiles.
Well, the barn is a wooden piece, but the pig farm, farmhouse, etc. are on the tiles.

I wasn't too sure if it would work... if other people agree I'll just scrap the idea...
Do a playtest and see how well it plays.  It might be nice to playtest it with the Missionary as well as breweries to determine how all these add up.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

I haven't made the breweries tiles yet as I don't have any blank tiles. I haven't even made wells yet (but as soon as I get C,K& C I will).

I'll try to have a playtest for the monasteries, and if it works then I might make it into a proper expansion...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: