Market Commons (aka Commons & Central Market) - Collaborative expansion for June
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 03:33:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Commons (aka Commons & Central Market) - Collaborative expansion for June  (Read 19722 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »

First off, I thought Commons and Central Market (the two tiles in this expansion) was a bit of a mouthful for the expansion title, so I've tentatively renamed it to Market Town.  If anyone has a better suggestion, please feel free to post it!

There's only 2 tiles in this expansion.

The Commons: An all green title with the word "COMMONS" written across it. When this tile is connected to a green, then anyone is allowed to add followers to that green even if it is already claimed, except for a player's very last follower. This would add the possibility of extreme rapid depletion of followers as everyone vies for control of a powerful green, and it increases interest in trying to close off a green.

Central Market: This piece looks like four roads converging at an intersection, except instead of a few small houses or trees that are usually drawn at such intersections, this tile has a marketplace (colored tents, wagons, etc). When the tile is played, all players, starting with the person who played the tile and continuing in play order, must claim either a road segment or a green on this tile. You are allowed to add a follower to a green or road that is already claimed only if there is no unclaimed green or road available. If a player has no followers to place, he/she does not have to place anything. We have been discussing whether the pig, builder and other special pieces are exempt from this "must place" rule.

My suggestions:

1. Replace the word "Commons" on the Commons tile with an icon
2. No barn allowed to be placed on a Commons.  If a farm with a barn is connected to the commons, it scores 1 point for every completed city and is removed prior to the addition of followers.
3. Special pieces (including the big follower and the wagon) are exempt from the "must place" rule of both tiles.
4. Both tiles should have a "except for a player's very last (normal) follower" clause

Also, if anyone would like to take the lead on this, please send me a PM.  However, I would prefer that those who are currently working on an expansion to finish up their expansions before they take the lead on this.  I suppose if I don't hear anything by the 2nd week of June, I'll take this one up myself since I'm sorta in between expansions.

Edit: Changed title.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:40:52 AM by Novelty » Logged

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »

First off, I thought Commons and Central Market (the two tiles in this expansion) was a bit of a mouthful for the expansion title, so I've tentatively renamed it to Market Town.  If anyone has a better suggestion, please feel free to post it!

How about Market Place?

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:05:18 AM »

How about Market Place?
How does that tie in with the "Commons" tile?  A Market Town would consist of the market place as well as the common areas around the town.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:22:44 AM »

Well, I thought about that, but I was just trying to think of something that sounded good.  I guess I justified it with P&D that doesn't allude to the Magic Portal tiles or the A&M that leave the barn and cart out of their name.  I guess I'll try harder.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »

No worries.  You have come up with good names in the past, so I'm sure you can think of better names.  What would be more of interest than the name though, would be what icon to use in place of the word "Commons" as originally suggested by Jabberwocky.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »

Maybe a sort of pond with some trees? I'm not sure what they would have been like...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »

A Commons (in the english countryside) is land where the public can use - hiking, picnics, etc.  Not too sure whether a pond will be appropriate though.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »

It seems like there should be some sort of road leading to it.  If it's a "common" area, there would be lots of roads, like an intersection.  How about instead of an all-field tile, it was a four-way round-about?  Perhaps the circle could be made slightly bigger than on the Catapult tile and there could be something in the middle... maybe even a small crowd of people and tents.  Not really sure what would be more appropriate.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »

Well, there are usually no roads on a commons - just hiking trails and animal trails.  There would probably be a road next to it, but we can't do that with the tile.  Also, adding a 4-road roundabout will completely destroy Jabberwocky's original idea for the commons.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »

Maybe a sort of woodland area... with a few paths (on the commons area only, not extending to the corner of the tiles) around the areas of trees?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

Maybe a sort of woodland area... with a few paths (on the commons area only, not extending to the corner of the tiles) around the areas of trees?
That might be confused with Forests though.  As I said, I think the best thing to do would be an icon, but what picture to put into the icon is the question.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »

Personally I don't like icons, I prefer the actual places on the tile, (e.g. for P&D I would prefer an actual dragon pic than the icon...). You wouldn't want to replace ins, cathedrals, magic portals, pig herds etc. with icons, would you?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:36:44 AM »

There are things that would have to be icons.  Things like trade goods for example, or pennants.  The original idea for the Commons was to have the word commons on the tile.  I feel that is a bit too out of the way for Carcassonne.  However, placing an image will mean it may be confused with something else (brown tracks - dirt road, pond - rivers, trees - forests).  I think an icon would actually be the best thing, unless someone can come up with a better idea.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »

I have another idea: a forum (or something similar)- like the commons, but for a city...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:48:32 AM »

I have another idea: a forum (or something similar)- like the commons, but for a city...
Out of topic.  You can start your own thread for this.  It might be good together with Parthenon by Jabberwocky.

Edit: Here's the tiles and a draft version of the rules.  I've renamed it Market Commons after the 2 constituent tiles.  I'm not sure if there should be example(s), and if so, how the example(s) should be.  Comments welcomed!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:32:36 AM by Novelty » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: