The Moated City of Carcassonne
Carcassonne Central
April 19, 2024, 03:30:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Moated City of Carcassonne  (Read 22486 times)
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

I just thought up an idea for the City of Carcassonne (i.e. the Count expansion), but with a moat with 1-4 rivers that branch out from it to form full rivers either for use with the River I & II or for Fishermen. Doesn't anyone else think that sounds fun and if so, would anyone be interested in making it? I could try, but not for a few weeks still. I am getting behind on many things as I write my two essays for my final classes.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »

This could probably be done with the Rivers 1 & 2.  I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I think it would give you a starting point.  I'll give it a try and let you know.

Flee the fleas!
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »

I thought of this last year sometime. Tried to do it but didn't have enough river tiles that fit.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »

Well, I think I've nearly managed to do it.  I had to get creative though with the curvy pieces and the city entrance.  This is what I did... I fell short by one straight piece.  Part of the problem is that too many of the River 1 & 2 tiles contain roads or city sections to fit them appropriately to CC.  What I ended up doing was putting a CRFR tile with a tower foundation with the straight road connected to the "southern" gate of CC.  On either side of that I used two lake tiles, one of which ends in the city from River 2 and connects to the tower tile.  That city touches the road and the tower is on the other side of the road, so I thought it appeared pretty safe, though in truth, probably defeated the whole purpose.  Any way, it was fun to try.  I used the left over river tiles to connect to the branch at the right side of the city, but it could have been put several different places.  I also used a few more tower tiles to fill in some holes the branch made and make it look pretty.  I took a fuzzy picture with my cell phone and will try to put it up for you tomorrow. 

Oops, I just remembered that I have an extra river tile than most people probably do.  For some reason, the SSFF pig farm tile from River 2 came with my CC tuck box.  Not sure if it was a mistake or not, but it didn't hurt my feelings.  It wouldn't effect much though since the same official tile was one that was left over. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:05:48 PM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:26:44 AM »

Sounds good. I guess some form of a draw-bridge looking thing would be acceptible...or just a solid route into the city. I just wanted a moated city so that people could begin the game with the river expansion without having the problem of...where to place the river? I thought that beginning with a moated city may provide more opportunities.

On a similar note, for the Fishermen expansion, I was thinking that someone should make a start tile (maybe there already is one) that has RivCRF so that it stars both a road and a river on opposing ends. Someone could do the same thing with Mountains (MCRF), Oceans (OCRF), and Forests (ForCRF). Although we are beginning to add a lot of new features, I rather like them all. I was also thinking that maybe we should create a 1x2 starting tile that could have all the features (except Oceans since that isn't from CarcCentral) so that we can begin with them all and have no "Must return to bag/tower/stack" requirement. Just a thought!

Keep working on this moated City! I want to see what it looks like. I plan to use it if it comes out nice because I like the River with the City.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »

Perhaps the City could be expanded to have a brook/river source starting in the city and coming out of it instead of a moat.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »

I made another discovery.  One of the pieces is also from the GQ11.  I forgot about that one too, but it is also an extra piece, so likewise makes no difference.

Flee the fleas!
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

Here is the photo.  Sorry it took so long and it's so fuzzy.  It was the best I could do at the time.

The tile immediately to the right of the branch is from the GQ11 expansion and then to the right of that is the extra one I got perhaps by mistake.  I used a few tower pieces to make it a little more pretty.   Smiley

Flee the fleas!
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »

Ah, I see we have a miscommunication. I too have successfully made a moat using the River I and II (and GQ) tiles, what I was meaning with this is actually integrating some tiles with the City of Carcassonne (as in around tiles numbered 1-5 and 8-12, I think), thus making it an expansion. I guess in making this renewed City, someone could also add a Fish Market in the city (since the moat could be used for the Fisherman expansion), although I would like a version of the City that is just for vanilla Carc (with Rivers). Sorry if I communicated that poorly.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »

Well, it's probably that I just didn't understand you.  It was fun to do anyway!   Cheesy

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »

I while ago I edited CoC to include a guild of aquaculture (rivers) and a logging contractor (forests)... unil Novlety pointed out that the rules of both state that no piece can be moved from CoC into those features...

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »

I think it might be a safe assumption that the rules stated that simply because there was no good feature located within the city itself to support the new expansions.  It seems very reasonalbe to me to make a modified city and use it with whatever new expansions you want.  I would consider it a house rule.  There is actually a pretty good spot in the upper left hand corner (tile 1 or 2) with a group of trees that would be a good spot to use for the forest. 

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »

Great minds think alike... I merely added some huts by those trees...

EDIT:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:51:47 PM by meepleater » Logged

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »

Where did you get that body of water image from?

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

I believe it was from one of the fishermen tiles...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: