Roman Roads
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 11:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Roads  (Read 7407 times)
Jabberwocky
Authors
Cottager

Merit: 0

To the lifeboats! Children and meeple first!

Awards
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:04:36 AM »

[EDIT] Based on Novelty's feedback, I changed the title of the idea from King's Road to Roman Roads.

Call it the King's Road, Camino Royal, the Silk Road, or the modern superhighway. Throughout history, there have been roads of exceptional quality, generally major trade routes, that have acquired grand names because everyone uses them and they run a critical route.

I propose a single piece, a stretch of a single straight road going across the square, but with a major caravan drawn traveling along it and perhaps an obelisk or arch or some other imposing signpost. This piece is The King's Road. The rules of this piece are as follows:
1) Once this piece is in play, all further road tiles drawn must attach to the King's Road if there is any legal way for them to do so unless that piece would cap an end the road. If the piece would cap the road, it is the player's choice whether to cap the King's Road or not.
2) Any player who extends the King's Road may add a meeple to claim the road, even if the road as a whole is already claimed.
3) If an Inn appears along the King's Road, the King's Road scores partial points at the end of the game even if it is not capped (score 1 pt per tile).

This results in lots of meeple traveling this major highway, a highway that has a strong potential to get very long.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:50:54 AM by Jabberwocky » Logged

For want of a tile, the road was lost,
for want of a road, the city was lost,
for want of the city, a farm was lost,
and all for the want of a tile.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »

Another King's road?  Must be a popular idea.

There's a Royal Road that's a treasure in Treasure Hunt.  Here's a picture: .

Someone else has also proposed a King's Road or something like that for The Constable.  See quote below.

The flavour behind this was to create a Royal Road, one protected by the king and free from robbers (for good).

Anyways, a good title for your idea actually would be Roman Roads.  These were well built, straight and allowed for fast travel between Roman outposts.  Some of today's modern roads in Europe actually are based on the roads built by the Romans.

So will you be creating the tile and the rules document to go along with it, Mr. Jabberwocky?  You can get the rules document from Joff - just send him a PM.

Jabberwocky
Authors
Cottager

Merit: 0

To the lifeboats! Children and meeple first!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »

I'll kick it around for a while. I like contributing to these variant discussions, but I don't get time to check back or comment frequently, and sometimes the variants get finalized in the times between my visits to the site. Give me a couple months of infrequent posting before you give up on me. ;-)

For want of a tile, the road was lost,
for want of a road, the city was lost,
for want of the city, a farm was lost,
and all for the want of a tile.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: